Lady lifters, I have a question for ya....

Options
I just bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women and I was reading that you won't lose much weight but your body will be fit and look fantastic...so my question is....do I want to start lifting now even though I have about 30-40 lbs to lose or should I up my cardio, lose a huge chunk of this fat and then start lifting? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I guess I didn't word it correctly in the search as I didn't find my answer. Thanks in advance! :smile:

edited to say I do Firm videos now so I do a little bit of weights with my cardio but I want to seriously lift at some point. Just not sure if it will help me now. Thanks

Replies

• AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're on point with your diet, you'll still lose weight.

I'm doing starting strength and my cardio consists of a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill (at 3 mph) and chasing my dog around when she wants to play. Otherwise, my exercise is purely in the form of lifting. In the past two weeks I've lost 3.2 pounds, and I'm eating TDEE -20%.

Now if you want to up your cardio because you love cardio, go for it. But if you're careful with your diet and making sure that you are meeting your calorie goals, there's no need to increase cardio, nor do you need to wait until you've lost all the weight to start strength training. In fact, it's great to add some weight lifting now so that you don't lose too much muscle mass. You won't gain any beyond beginner gains, but you'll retain more than if you did no weight lifting at all.