I don't really like chicken or fish or vegetables... help?

Options

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    An unbalanced diet is an eventual failure.

I would work with a nutritionists to make sure you have what you need. And I would start trying everything you have never eaten. The truth is that your tastes will change over time if you start eating other things.

If you are looking for a lifestyle change, then you need to change.
  • beth0912
    beth0912 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have recently stopped eating meat but I do like fish and veggies. I try to eat yogurt and cheese and eggs for my protein now. I like to mix scrambled egg with rice and some veggies for dinner. Salads are always good too if you like them. Sometimes I make carrots with splenda which you might like. I also eat a lot of fruit. I wouldn't waste time on food you don't like.
  • gankyicingyal
    gankyicingyal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I'll definitely try them out :) Thanks for all your advice!

I guess I forgot to mention that I'm allergic to some raw fruits and vegetables, especially apples. It seems like the older I get, the more they make my gums and throat itch. But that's probably a separate issue :)
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I guess I forgot to mention that I'm allergic to some raw fruits and vegetables, especially apples. It seems like the older I get, the more they make my gums and throat itch. But that's probably a separate issue :)

I don't eat any vegetables at all and have never been overweight, you don't NEED to eat vegetables to lose weight.
  • dotamy
    dotamy Posts: 16
    Options
    The nutritional misinformation here is kind of shocking -- your body NEEDS the vitamins and minerals found in fruits and vegetables, as well as meat. Taking a vitamin is a nutritional band aid. Start with the basic veg and choose at least one new veg to add to your diet every week. Losing weight is one thing - health is another. Your mouth and brain will grow to 'love the one they're with' and your skin, cells, brain and body will thank you greatly for it. It's time to eat like an adult and expand your palate.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The nutritional misinformation here is kind of shocking -- your body NEEDS the vitamins and minerals found in fruits and vegetables, as well as meat. Taking a vitamin is a nutritional band aid. Start with the basic veg and choose at least one new veg to add to your diet every week. Losing weight is one thing - health is another. Your mouth and brain will grow to 'love the one they're with' and your skin, cells, brain and body will thank you greatly for it. It's time to eat like an adult and expand your palate.

Nothing misleading here. OP's profile states pretty clearly that she is primarily interested in losing weight and looking better. To lose weight, you do not need to eat vegetables. In fact, it can be counterproductive to keep beating people over the head with orthorexic advice about right and wrong foods to eat. Finally, you certainly do not need to eat meat, at all, to be either thin or healthy.
  • dotamy
    dotamy Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow - orthorexic, huh? I have no idea what in my post you saw that gave you the idea I was recommending an unhealthily fixation on vegetables or healthy foods, but whatever. The OP states she eats like a little kid - it's in her third post - she appears to consider eating fish, chicken and turkey, and the problem seems to be the "time it takes to eat (vegetables)." You go ahead with your Twinkie diet, though. If anything, it was a gentle recommendation to mature her palate a little beyond Mac & cheese.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options

I don't eat any vegetables at all and have never been overweight, you don't NEED to eat vegetables to lose weight.

What do you eat?
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Protein powders to save the day! :bigsmile:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Keep trying new things, you might be surprised as to what you can learn to love. It took me a few tries with brussels sprouts, now they are one of my favorites. I toss them with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and roast them on 425 degrees in the oven till they are brown on the outside and creamy on the inside. you could sprinkle some parmesan on them when they come out of the oven to get some cheese.

you certainly don't have to eat a ton of raw fruits & veggies, but expanding your palate & learning to love healthy foods is never a bad thing. :smile:
  • bcriminger
    bcriminger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at smoothies as an option? In particular green smoothies? They aren't all great, but you can mask the taste of veggies by adding berries or fruits you do enjoy and put in a scoop of protein mix and you have added protein there. I start my day off with a smoothie. Spinach is great to start out with to get your extra nutrients (put it in the blender first with a little water to chop it up), avocados and bananas are great for giving it a smooth textures (some people add yogurt, but that adds calories and if you are already fine on dairy, you don't need it). Obviously, stay away from fruits and vegetables that you are allergic to, but try different things and always add a strong flavor you enjoy (berries, a drop or two of vanilla, chocolate protein mix will cover up veggie taste, too). You can always add a spoonful of peanut/almond butter for added protein (I've been loving banana, spinach, chocolate, peanut butter of late).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

If your allergic to some fruits and veggies, then def. don't eat those... no matter what anyone tells you.

I also eat like a little kid... Give me some chicken fingers or Mac and Cheese and I'm a very happy girl..lol.

I really think that you just have to try different things until you like it.

Can you hide the veggies in an omelet with cheese? That's one of my favorite ways to get veggies in.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    just do it. honestly. your energy will improve as you will be fueling your body properly.

its all in your head. you have an aversion to certain foods. you can turn aversion into obsession with trying new foods by doing just that.

go out and eat things you have never tried from menus, learn to cook new foods.

its a good idea, you know, before your cholesterol blocks your heart.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options

What do you eat?

Everything else. I do eat alot of fruit.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I made pasta for my family and they had no idea that I had brought out the grater and grated carrots and zucchini into the sauce. The next week I made the same without grating and the kids complained that they don't like it until I told them that they had the same thing just cooked different last week. Point is...maybe incorporate (hide) some veggies in different dishes that you do like so its not so hard to get them down. It has worked like a charm to get my 5 year old to eat more veggies...and he don't even know :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't have the same issues, but I did used to be vegan. In those days, I ate more nuts and pulses for protein. Nuts are high fat, but nutritious and you can use them quite inventively in various dishes. Lentils are cheap and versatile - you can make burgers with them, etc. The same with beans. You do need to up the flavouring/seasoning if using pulses, I think, because they can be a bit bland. If you fancy going down the nuts/pulses route, it might be worth getting a vegan cookbook - or looking for recipes online. I don't know if you might like tofu too - that has some protein, but it isn't for everybody.

Eggs are also good for protein.

As the poster above said, sometimes people who don't like veg can eat them cooked into something if they are in small pieces/grated. I sometimes by ready chopped vegetables (fresh or frozen), sometimes sold as "soffrito". They are so easy to put in soups, chillis, etc.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Soup. I don't like veggies raw too much. But, I love them in soup. Although this summer I will be trying cold soups which I have never done before. Another thing that I like to do is make a salad with spinach usually and some other vegetables and I will add a few strawberries, some orange slices, or grapefruit then add some balsamic vinegar and raspberry dressing, it gives it sort of a sweet and sour taste.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good tip from Leslie. I still do that and the kids are older now - but it helps to stop them picking bits out.

Different cooking methods may help. Cabbage just boiled is a bit dull and unappealing, but shredded and raw makes a great base for a salad, or stir fried with a little garlic and onion - totally different taste sensation again.

Roast the veggies in the oven - try carrots, onion, garlic, celery - taste (and look) different roasted to just boiled or steamed.

If you want to change - then it's up to you to do it. Take baby steps and you will be fine.