Weight Loss and My IUD (Mirena)

Options
I got an IUD (Mirena) inserted back on March 11th and since then, I have not been able to loose 1 pound! I have been logging consistently and wrapped up training for a 10k on Saturday. I am still exercising 5 days a week and logging my calories with some to spare, and nothing!!!

I am beginning to think that the IUD has something to do with the issue. Anyone else have similar problems? Did it eventually let up. This is driving me bonkers!!!!

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Mirena caused NOTHING but problems for me. I'd get it out asap. Best choice I ever made was getting it out. Then even still, I had issues from it.
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bumping for other responses. Thanks!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for 3 years now and it hasn't contributed to my weight gain or stopped my weight loss. I've dropped almost 20 lbs in the last month just from drastically changing my diet.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've had mirena for 3 years. I haven't had any problems, but I have gained weight (all on my own, not because of mirena). I talked to my dr about whether taking it out would help me to lose the weight. He told me that was a myth. He says the reason I'm having a hard time is because of my PCOS, it has nothing to do with mirena. He says a lot of people like to blame it on that.

My advice is just make sure you go to the dr's with an open mind, and get a second opinion if you have to before you just get it taken out.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for 1 1/2 years and love it. I've been on Yaz, Ortho & Nuvaring and Mirena has by far been the best although I lost the majority of my weight while on Yaz. I weighed 150 when I got it inserted and I weight 145 now which is a healthy weight for me (I'm 5'10"). I have plenty of friends with it too and none of them have had any issues to speak of. The internet is a hot bed of horror stories, so take it all with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and I think the best you can do is listen to your own body and be honest with yourself (and your logging).

Good luck!
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the responses!!! A piece of me believes that I have hit a plateau and for that reason I have plans to see a nutritionist soon! I am hoping that, while I am staying below my calorie range, I am not eating the right foods. I have the exercise piece down...it is just the "right" foods that I think I am struggling with right now.

With that said, I also believe that every woman's body will respond to the hormones differently, so I must keep that in mind too!
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mirena has been fine for me, but according to my Dr some women are sensitive to the type of progesterone used in it (levonorgestrel). It's the same type as in Microgynon which made me really miserable (switching to a different pill made me fine) but the concentration in an iud is low enough to not have affected me. However my Dr did say that for some women, even that amount can set them off.

Ultimately hormones are capable of messing with your head/body, so you just have to pay careful attention to yourself.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I havn't had the Mirena, so take it with a grain of salt, but i just wanted to point out even those without hormonal BC can gain weight and/or have issues losing weight. For instance, i was not on anything (besides breastfeeding) and i was only able to lose 5lbs over 3 months no matter how much i logged, focused, and exercised. I didn't lose anything after that for well over 9 weeks. I guess my point is A LOT of ppl platue. Im not saying Mirena cant cause weight issues. I have read numerous comments about women gaining weight (and i do believe them-hormones can really impact metabolisim!) , but im just saying even men and women not on the mirena can stall for a period of time with their weightloss. And there are also women on Mirena that actually start LOSING weight because of the added progesterone.

but if you are confident that is the issue, perhaps switching to the non hormonal IUD would be better?

Good luck in whatever you decide! hope things improve for you.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena in for about 4 1/2 years, going to get a new one pretty soon. I haven't had any ill effects from it. But maybe google search Mirena side effects. Might not be the right thing for everyone.
  • torymichaels
    Options
    I love my Mirena (had one for 4 years, took it out to have what turned out to be twins, got another one in) and it certainly never was responsible for any weight gain. I've heard things though of course. But personally, I don't believe it in and of itself will cause weight gain.
  • JessieLynn00
    JessieLynn00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the merina for 2 years and didn't have any problems with weight gain but did have a lot of pain and when I had it removed I had withdrawls for about a day..it was horrible. A friend of mine didn't have any of these problems. Everyone reacts differently to everything.
  • Shawnna_H
    Shawnna_H Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have had my Paragard ( 10yr copper IUD) since 2007....never had any issues and love it because there are no hormones being pushed through my body.
  • nikkiwrightkapels
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds with mirena and no matter how much i dieted and exercised I couldn't lose a single pound! i was famished all the time and never seemed satisfied. my mood was HORRIBLE! I had it for almost 4 years and finally said enough is enough and got rid of it. I have lost 8 pounds and have found my appetite returning to normal as well as my mood. I will never go back to Mirena!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've had the Paraguard for over a year now and it's been fantastic.