Face still round and chin still flabby

Options
Even though I've been losing weight, my face is still round. Granted, not as round as when I was at my heaviest. But I stil have these chubby cheeks and I feel discouraged.

Even worse, my chin fat is still there. I saw a pic of me from earlier this week and I almost have a double chin! I feel mortified because the photo was from a work-related event and I could hear in my head people saying, "Wow, who's that fat chick?"

I'm not really fat. I wear size 8. I weigh 180 pounds, but my face doesn't show that. What must I do besides be patient?

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Roundness in the face keeps you looking youthful!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    some of us have issues with body dysmorphia - seeing something that really isn't there.
    I am wondering if you have before and now pictures to compare. so many others have mentioned that they did not feel they were making progress but when you see the side by side, there are definitely some changes. I know you shared progress in other areas. You mentioned patience................ah yes. It could be that others have noticed a difference even though you have not.

Take care and be kind to your self!:smile::heart: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's really irritating where you lose weight in some places but not others - it's not a reflection on how you look, just where your fat deposits store. For instance, mine are all stored in my arms and stomach and I know that they are going to be the last to go. Oddly, weight comes off my face and breasts first - not sure why!

I looked at a few facial workouts - we tend to forget about our face changing when we lose weight but there are exercises that you can do anywhere (ie in the car towards work) such as stretching out your neck and movements that can help lose the excess fat off your face (if indeed you have any at all!).

Another thing I noticed that cleansing, toning and moisturising really made my skin more taught and firmer.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It might just be genetic. I still have a little double chin and I weigh 110. Both my parents had one, even when they were not overweight. Finally lost the roundness in my face, but I think that's as much age as weight loss.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Even when I was super skinny, I still had a round face and chubby cheeks, plus the double chin. I always hated it. But now that I am nearing 50, I think the extra fullness in my face is actually an asset. (fewer wrinkles!) Embrace your chubby cheeks!! They also make you look happier!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    acceptance. find a face flattering hair style. I have a round face too, but you just have to learn to accept it.
    lots of celebrities have a round face, i just hadn't realized it bc they choose flattering hair styles, like
    cameron diaz
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    aww. im totally with you on this one! I lost about 25lbs and my face is still as chubby as it was 25lbs ago.
    I hate that! im pretty sure it will be the last place i ever lose weight. (((HUGS)))

i do not have a round face shape. In fact it's actually oval, but that darn double chin really prevents it! I do find hair cuts that have a way of hiding my double chin but that only does so much and when my hair is up? pff, whats the point. hoping once i get to goal weight i will be to a single chin lol
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Live with it...it's YOUR Face! Although you may not have a chizzled face/square jaw, that's your genetics. You could probably lose 50 more pounds and still have a round face.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Stop stressing and learn how to pose for a picture! Here is a helpful video!

http://scottkelby.com/2012/its-guest-blog-wednesday-featuring-peter-hurley/
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    some of us have issues with body dysmorphia - seeing something that really isn't there.
    I am wondering if you have before and now pictures to compare. so many others have mentioned that they did not feel they were making progress but when you see the side by side, there are definitely some changes. I know you shared progress in other areas. You mentioned patience................ah yes. It could be that others have noticed a difference even though you have not.

This is so true. The first thing I thought when reading your profile is that you are not big. You sound as though you see yourself in a way that maybe is slightly askew to how you actually look. A slightly round face does hide age much easier, and you would be in excellent company... actresses like Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Lawrence have rounded faces, and are considered very sexy and desirable. Beauty is does not have to be about being chiselled and gaunt. xx
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are quite a number of simple exercises you can do to help. I found them helpful even before I started losing weight.

As usual the internet is helpful for these.

Here are a couple links you might want to check out:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5147264_double-chin-neck-exercises.html
    http://www.wellbeing-information.com/double-chin-exercises.html

But, like others said, enjoy your progress and don't get discouraged by those slower-to-change areas.
  • CielArdent9
    Options

This is so true. The first thing I thought when reading your profile is that you are not big. You sound as though you see yourself in a way that maybe is slightly askew to how you actually look. A slightly round face does hide age much easier, and you would be in excellent company... actresses like Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Lawrence have rounded faces, and are considered very sexy and desirable. Beauty is does not have to be about being chiselled and gaunt. xx

Yeah, I'm self-conscious about my appearance. I guess being criticized for my weight by family and co-workers can do it. A lot of the women I work with are on Weight Watchers and I join in on sharing our weight loss victories and slumps. If lunch is ordered in for Professional Administrative's Day or for any other reason, there's that feeling that you shouldn't have that tiny cookie or not too much pasta. Not that I'm being careless with my diet, but I'm not freaking out like some of the other women. I mean, I'm not that paranoid with one extra cookie that can be swallowed whole. But the looks I get can make me self-conscious.

OK, I'll see if I can exercise off my chin fat or...just accept it like so many of you have! :smile:
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If someone wants tips on how to lose weight in their midsection, how to build the muscles in their arms, how to rid themselves of the bra buldge, no one would come on here and tell them they have body dysmorphic disorder and tell them to just accept it. They would offer ideas on how to help improve it (except maybe in the case of a person truly having dysmorphia such as in the case of anorexia, etc). But typically that person would get support and ideas on how to fix the problem they are seeking to solve. And the crazy thing is that typically those body parts are not seen as often nor to the degree of the face. So im not sure what some of these comments are about. Everyone trying to lose weight or tone their body on MFP likely feel this way about something on their bodies, otherwise they would never be here!

Thanks to those who supplied anything of substance, those are some great ideas! I know the OP wrote this but im another MFP memebers looking for answers to this question as well and it's nice seeing those answers when they come with some good info :)
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Roundness in the face keeps you looking youthful!

I'm gonna agree here ^ ;~ I consider my round face 'irons' out any wrinkles ;) Well that and my aging eyesight keeps me 'looking' youthful LOL
  • pcastagner
    Options

Yeah, I'm self-conscious about my appearance. I guess being criticized for my weight by family and co-workers can do it. A lot of the women I work with are on Weight Watchers and I join in on sharing our weight loss victories and slumps. If lunch is ordered in for Professional Administrative's Day or for any other reason, there's that feeling that you shouldn't have that tiny cookie or not too much pasta. Not that I'm being careless with my diet, but I'm not freaking out like some of the other women. I mean, I'm not that paranoid with one extra cookie that can be swallowed whole. But the looks I get can make me self-conscious.

OK, I'll see if I can exercise off my chin fat or...just accept it like so many of you have! :smile:

Or you could just learn the jawline truck from the video I posted.

Once you do you'll learn to spot how every Hollywood star does the same trick. Camera can add 20 lbs or take off 20 depending on how you pose!

Seriously, watch the video! http://scottkelby.com/2012/its-guest-blog-wednesday-featuring-peter-hurley/
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose my 'face' till I hit 140lbs. I went from 204 to 130. Basketball head to nothing.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I didn't lose my 'face' till I hit 140lbs. I went from 204 to 130. Basketball head to nothing.

And I bet you still have a double chin if you do a deadlift with proper form.

Seriously. The video. Learn the jawline slouch and stop dreading the camera! And start noticing how much Hollywood people cheat to give themselves a clean jaw line.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to deal with it.

I have a heart-shaped face and I used to hate it, until I learned what hairstyles fit me and which don't. Also I learned how to make my face up the right way to make my face stand out.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

And I bet you still have a double chin if you do a deadlift with proper form.

Seriously. The video. Learn the jawline slouch and stop dreading the camera! And start noticing how much Hollywood people cheat to give themselves a clean jaw line.

Nope, cause I don't do deadlifts. So then I guess I don't have a double chin. I really don't though. I did, before my face went.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Even someone at 4% body fat has a double chin doing deadlifts.

Hollywood actors tend to be around 15%

But they are also coached on how to pose for a camera, which some people do naturally while others don't. The better your posture, the worse you will be at this.

There is no reason to feel self conscious about photos when there is a simple trick to accentuate the jaw line.