I cried today

Options
I didn't mean to. I thought running 3 miles was doable, considering the fact that I have been working out since Nov. 2011, granted, I just started running, but I could only run for 3-5 min and walk 1-2 min. Today I felt horrible, I could only do 2 miles, I started crying while running, I am so ashamed of myself. I know that this is a great accomplishment, I ran more than I walked and I did two miles in 25 min 4 sec which is great considering the fact that I usually do can walk 2 miles in 33 minutes but I can't help but feel ashamed and horrible. I don't know what is going on with me... MFP runners, when you first started running, did you feel like this, will this feeling go away?

Replies

• kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    hey, it's okay!
    at least you're running at all - i've been making excuses and dodging my running workouts. you should definitely give yourself more credit. you're keeping yourself fit, you're running to stay healthy. and who cares if you don't reach your goal in the intended way/time that you want to?? life is not a race - take your time.

never compare your chapter 1 to someone else's chapter 20.

and if you always strive for success, it's always a good idea to realize that what you actually attain in the end is a build-up of all the progress you did DURING your journey there. the actual reward of having a nice body does not come without its rewards of working hard and perseverence.

don't cry! i do hope you feel better, but i can assure you - you have no reason to feel bad. :)

be happy that you're setting an example for me, personally. i want to start running and because of your story, i think that's what i'm going to do. it's a new resolution for me. tomorrow i'm going to start day 1 of my workout routine. thank you so much.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    not a runner, but have been in your shoes.
    Now put the crying behind you and move on!!!
    You are fabulous, wonderful, awesome:smile::smile: :smile:
    Just look at where you are, how far you have come and where you are going.
    We all get down at times, but please be kind to your self :flowerforyou:
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself! I have had several runs that made me frustrated and cry! What was different about today's run? First time outside in a while, more humidity, odd meals yesterday, temps higher than before? This past wednesday my husband and I went for a run was supposed to be 7, we turned around at 2.5 because i was just fighting an uphill battle. Heart rate through the roof and calf muscle wouldn't relax. I am reading a book that indicates females get a raw deal a couple weeks every month due to the amount of progesterone and low levels of estrogen.

Short of the story, bad runs happen take them in stride do what you can and be proud of what you have accomplished!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    As a runner, you are a running that's all that counts. It's not how far or fast other people go, it's how far and fast you go. In other words don't compare yourself to others. Just get out there and do it. It never really gets easier, you just get faster.

This is a quote I live by - As this famous quote by Greg LeMan tells us, training, climbing, and racing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Enjoy the road.
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Running can be HARD. Long before my weight started yo-yoing I used to run the 1600m and I loved it. The feeling of seeing the finishing line was almost like a high as my body switched into auto-pilot for the last 200m. That was when I competed at school, age 14.
    Since then I smoked up to 30 a day and gained 5 stone. I lost it. Gained some back. Had three kids. Lost it again to underweight. Stopped smoking after 28 years, and gained three stone back.

A year ago I ran my first 5k for cancer research after months of treadmill speedwalking. I finally got my 5k time down to 28 minutes, but had to stop due to a neck injury.

Now, I walk.

I can manage a mile at most of running, but sound like a heavy breather dirty phone call, which is so embarrassing.

You did great to run. Be proud of yourself, as it is no mean feat.

Running is hard.... but one day we will both get there. xx
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Something about running brings out all the emotions.

One night I climbed onto the machine and started running and started crying. Could. Not. Figure. It. Out. While I know you are feeling really down, just know that endorphins and adrenaline can do all kinds of things to our mental state, including pushing out feelings much stronger than we might normally feel them.

The fact is that you are keeping up with it, no matter how you feel. THAT is you winning!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Were you tired? I find my running is appalling after a night shift or a sleepless night previously.

You may running too fast. Every bit of advice I've seen given to new runners is to SLOW DOWN. Try it, you may be amazed at the difference.

Even marathon runners had to start somewhere - no one starts and is fabulous immediately. Be kind to yourself :flowerforyou:

• MeganGable
    MeganGable Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just ran for the first time today in AGES....yah, one mile....13 mins. Embarrassing because I could hardly breathe!!!!!
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday. I have some days that are really hard, even when it is the same thing I did yesterday ! I have found that my body is about to drop weight and usually the next day I will have a killer work out. I have also noticed that if I time a swim and think I am going so slow, I am doing the same amount of laps as on a good day. It is just about how hard it feels.

Don't give up. ''As long as your moving you are lapping everyone on the couch.'' Congrats on your weight loss!
  • tinks_13
    tinks_13 Posts: 40
    Options
    I didn't mean to. I thought running 3 miles was doable, considering the fact that I have been working out since Nov. 2011, granted, I just started running, but I could only run for 3-5 min and walk 1-2 min. Today I felt horrible, I could only do 2 miles, I started crying while running, I am so ashamed of myself. I know that this is a great accomplishment, I ran more than I walked and I did two miles in 25 min 4 sec which is great considering the fact that I usually do can walk 2 miles in 33 minutes but I can't help but feel ashamed and horrible. I don't know what is going on with me... MFP runners, when you first started running, did you feel like this, will this feeling go away?

Running can be quite difficult. When I was doing the fitness test for the Police they told me to start off 1 minute super fast running and then 2 minutes slow walking, repeat this process for half an hour. Over time your endurance will increase and you can increase your running time and decrease walking time so that in the end you're doing 2 minutes fast running and 1 minute slow walking.

This is what I've been doing for over a year now and I'm still so crap at running.

Hope this helps!
  • bluebusgirl
    Options
    Oh, honey---it doesn't matter how good of shape you are in, when you start running, you have to work up to it very slowly and carefully, otherwise you can really hurt yourself! Seriously! I trained with a friend who was a lifelong runner. First thing is to learn how to breath. I know that sounds funny, but finding your breathing rhythm when you run is extremely important, or it will NOT be very enjoyable, and you won't be able to do it very long or very well. When I started running, I jogged very slowly--just a hair faster than a fast walk, and with each footstep I breathed like this: out, out, in, in. When you start out, your breaths will be shallow, but as you go, your heart rate will pick up and your breathing will deepen. As you find your rhythm, and your heart rate adjusts, it will become more like little puffs--about as much air exchange as blowing out one birthday candle. Just go around the block every other day for the first week to see how you feel after about 30 hours. If you aren't wearing proper shoes, you might get shin splints, which are VERY painful, and it takes a couple of days before you start to feel it, so you don't want to make it worse. (That happened to me at first, and yes, I kept running every day and then on the third day I couldn't walk. OOOOWWWW! It feels like your shins are shattered. What it is, is the muscle pulls away from the bone slightly from the shock from the impact of your steps. So good footwear is KEY. If you are serious about running, I recommend going somewhere like footlocker and having them look at your feet and your stance to help you select a shoe that is right for you. Running shoes are expensive, but well worth it, and good ones last a LONG time. Crappy cheap ones don't, and they wreck your joints.
    Take a couple of days and work on something else, and do some reading about running. I have a friend who is in her forties who started running a couple of years ago, and has worked her way up to doing half-marathons. She knows about this site, and may have a profile here. I will ask her, and let you know. Don't give up, and don't cry! :bigsmile: Once you learn how to breath and run in a way feels good for you, and your body adjusts to it, you will love it! Also remember: some runners are built for speed, and others are built for distance. Start with distance, and when you are able to do five miles at a slower pace comfortably, gradually pick up the pace a bit!
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I look at the positive. Celebrate because you did 2 miles! I can't run a mile. For my 5k it was run/walk. I've been working out about 6 months myself. Insanity and those programs DO NOT prepare you for running. I killed my knees when i started training too.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I know it won't make any difference to you, but I'm a little jealous that you are able to run 2 miles. I'm not sure what the max distance I've ever been able to run is, but it's way less than a mile. Of course, now I'll never know because I figured out that I hate running and I am committed to never doing it again unless my life is in danger. Or the walk sign turns red.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've had bad training sessions, both running and strength training, where I've been massively disappointed with my performance. I didn't need to be but I guess when you're all jacked up on exercise emotions can be overwhelming.

Running isn't hard but it takes a little time to condition your body into doing it. Even experienced runners need to ease into it after an extended break.

You're going to have off days every now and then, too. Sometimes you don't sleep enough, didn't eat enough or cosmic rays hit you and stuffed you up for a week. Try not to beat yourself up. Just rest and reset for the next session.

And don't stack those emotions, either! You didn't meet your own expectations so you were upset and you cried. Don't feel ashamed that you got upset and cried and don't feel silly because you're ashamed that you got upset (and so on). Exercise is about health AND fun. Push yourself a little bit each session but don't push yourself too far otherwise it won't be fun anymore.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Every runner has a bad run here and there. You have to leave it behind you and go out again. It will get easier. Just keep going. The only goal is to do better this month than last month. Keep progressing... you will.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Give yourself kudos for the hard work that you put in and be kind to yourself! Just remember that fitness doesn't happen overnight. Keep your chin up and be stolid about it. Steady progress, optimism, and attitude will go a long way! Keep up the hard work! You did good!
  • prillygirl
    prillygirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a year...and I still don't enjoy it. My husband is currently a student so joining a gym isn't in our budget. So I got myself a C25K app and that's how I did it. To this day, I still have bad runs and still decide to walk during my runs.
    The thing is to keep going and don't expect too much of yourself. It's not something that you can just go out and do if you aren't used to it. It's definitely hard on your body and it definitely wears you out. Even if you would have run for one of your intervals, it's still effort that is of note. Keep with it and don't get discouraged. Feel free to contact me anytime. I've been there and I'm still there. Best of luck to you!
  • veronicadragan
    Options
    It's wonderful that you had the wish to do it ! Running , I mean . It will become easier and easier !
    Be proud of yourself and do 10 seconds more, each next time!
    Congratulations for your determination!
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    It does take time to get used to running, like it takes time to learn how to do any other kind of excercise. And even if you've been working out for a long time, if you haven't been running you likely aren't going to master it right away. Please don't beat yourself up about it, just get out there and practice--don't push yourself too hard at first--and soon it will be easier!
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Running is not for everyone..I can walk for miles but I hate to run..Why do you feel like you have to run?