Opinions?: Everything else is toning BUT my stomach!

Options
maddiey
maddiey Posts: 231 Member
I work out usually 5 - 6 times a week, I alternate through all the body parts, and I work abs about 1-2 times a week because I know just doing crunches won't make me "spot reduce". Usually afterwards I do about 20-30 mins of interval cardio. My days off I usually will do 20 mins cardio or maybe horse back riding for an hour (intense, not trail riding) but if I'm too tired, no work out, just laziness ;)

All my body parts are toning up really nice! But my little stomach pooch WILL NOT go away :grumble: It's getting flatter, but I have this little like pooch, with a definite line, at the bottom that's not getting smaller, and I measure it, no progress :( but like the top of my stomach is, because I can see muscle definition finally coming in!

Any advice? I eat pretty good about 90% of the time. This week I'm going to cut out a little more processed foods, like my little bit of coffee creamer in the morning, to see if it helps. I eat about 1800 cals a day.

Any advice or am I just being impatient?

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well, all I can say is the belly seems like the last to go. You're talking 7% bodyfat to see defined abs. What kind of ab exercises are you doing? You want a variety to really hit those muscles and show definition. An ab-wheel will really wreck em good though. Dairy can tend to give your muscles a smoothed over look (reduced definition) and so will retaining water. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, maybe cut out any sugars you're consuming, as this does hinder fat loss.
  • maddiey
    Options
    I don't really eat a lot of dairy except cottage cheese and greek yogurt just because it's higher protein. I just switched from being a vegetarian so I try to get meats in, it's just tough to do it sometimes lol. I wish my gym had one of those because I would definitely try it! I use the decline bench for sit ups, and pulling my legs up (I have no idea what you would call it), weighted sit ups, and this rack that you rest your arms on to pull up your legs (also don't know what that's called).

But also, I'm a female and I think 7% body fat is way too low... like... that's extremely low. My goal right now is 20%, then maybe 18%.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    7% is low for a female, but is right in the context of you needing a lower bodyfat percentage to see abs, just not correct for the figure. The dairy thing sounds like broscience to me.
    Also, have you considered it may be down to extra skin, due to the weight you were at before?
  • maddiey
    Options
    I've thought of that before but I don't know how to lose that :(
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Change your ab program to include more core stabilization (planks are just 1 example).

Also, it is a matter of patience. You know you can't choose wear you lose fat so just continue with a good exercise program, eat well, avoid alcohol and sugary drinks, drink water and keep at it. It is hard. It's my hardest area as well so I get it. Very frustrating
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but just wanted to say I looked at your profile, your back is awesome!
  • JessieLynn00
    JessieLynn00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. Haven't lost anything in the stomach and it's very frustrating. If you come up with a solution please share with me and I will with you if I do. Some people say that the target area exercises don't work so I just don't know.
  • maddiey
    Options
    @JessieLynn yes if I figure out something I will let you know! haha. I've been working at it for a while with no answer :(

@agirlscamaro Thank you very much! :) That's what I'm saying though...every thing else I'm fine with, e.g. my back lol my stomach, not so much!
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    OMG, doesn't it suck?! I run 3-4 times a week and I do muscle workouts twice a week. Everything is looking decent except for my dang stomach! I hate it! I think I just need to accept I'm not looking like Pink anytime soon unless I really commit to lowering my body fat big time.

I really have no advice other then to say...yes, it sucks! :)
  • maddiey
    Options
    @Sharino11 well if I just didn't have my bump anymore I'd be SOOO happy! But yes, it sucks :( lol
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,900 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. Planks are great. I do side and center planks. Also there are different moving planks. The wheel is great. You can buy one fairly cheap for use at home. Look up planks. Lots of different ones out there. If you have access to the P90X ab routine it is really great. You Tube has a few really great routines.

Shelley
  • tanetti
    tanetti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I was in my twenties, I lost about 65 lbs., and even when I was at goal, my skin continued to shrink and become more firm. I'd bet yours will as well. Just keep doing what you're doing. Great job so far!
  • vegeta71854
    Options
    Patience is the key. You will eventually lose it if you stay faithful to your diet and exercise. Take some of the tips these people have been leaving you. Mix your ab routines up. I highly recommend the Asylum from Shaun T if you are up to some hardcore work. My abs have been toned but more so after doing the Asylum workouts. Just a thought for ya.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The lower tummy pooch is where some of us women want to store fat, apparently for having babies or something. My mom had a large lower tummy by proportion, and I've inherited the same darned thing. I'm not even going to tell y'all the weight I had to see to see it go away completely (I was sick and lost a lot of weight without meaning to). My kidneys had lost too much of their protective fat and dropped (per the doc); let's put it that way.

But that's not to say it can't get down to a sexy level or that you are like me :) I just hope folks don't always expect that every fat pad will go away completely. Sometimes the BF% required is not exactly optimal :)