I need help with Protein powder

Options
Hey all, I need to get a protein powder and the ones I have tasted were really funky. Can anyone recommend a good protein powder that tastes good as well. I'm in Australia, so need to either buy it here or an online shop that sends to Australia. Has anyone tried GNC lo carb delite chocolate or vanilla bean? I will be having it after a workout and sometimes as a meal replacement when I don't have time. Thanks heaps.

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    GNC overprices their products, Amazon or bodybuilding.com has far better prices for protein powders.

Don't go for Body Fortress or Six Star which are sold in Walmart, *gags* I have tried quite a few brands over the years (expensive and inexpensive), and finding a good one is difficult.

Optimum Nutrition has good protein powders, not too pricey, tasty, mixes well, and no gastro intestinal problems. Currently have the chocolate whey, and mixed with milk in a shaker bottle tastes excellent.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I use Optimum Nutrition; she orders it from either Amazon or bodybuilding.com. Right now we're using the mocha cappucino flavor which tastes great. Also liked the chocolate coconut. She loves the cookies and cream flavor. It's good, but I'm a chocolate lover! We usually mix it with coconut milk or almond milk in a blender bottle and have it right after a workout. It's definitely cheaper to get it online than at GNC.
  • RunMumRun1
    RunMumRun1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Is it the Optimum nutrition whey gold? I haven't heard of this brand and liking to try it. They have so many products. Thanks
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd vouch for anything that Optimum Nutrition does - well at least their Gold Standard Whey. But that's just me.

I think your best research tool would be here:

http://au.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

Each product is rated out of 10 for taste/ease of mixing by people who have bought it. You'll find that Optimum & Cellucor have the most fans
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    GNC overprices their products, Amazon or bodybuilding.com has far better prices for protein powders.

Don't go for Body Fortress or Six Star which are sold in Walmart, *gags* I have tried quite a few brands over the years (expensive and inexpensive), and finding a good one is difficult.

Optimum Nutrition has good protein powders, not too pricey, tasty, mixes well, and no gastro intestinal problems. Currently have the chocolate whey, and mixed with milk in a shaker bottle tastes excellent.
    I second this, Optimum Nutrition is great, and has so many choices!
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Syntha 6 - either in powder or ready to drink containers
  • LeticiaP268
    LeticiaP268 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Optimum is by far my favorite brand. I've tried Six Star Casein (too much artificial sweetener after taste), I have Body Fortress and I have no problem with at all. I have tried also BodyLogix too (almost returned it because of the taste, vomit like but I mixed with water at first). I can mix Optimum with water and have no flavor issue but other brands I have been mixing with almond milk. Another favorite is Eas (RTDs), love those! Amazon and Bodybuilding.com should be able to ship overseas. We were getting out shipments from bb.com while we were in Korea with no issue what so ever. I've tried GNC brand before and it was okay, I just cannot justify spending that much at that place unless there's a clearance sale or I can get the hook up and get multiple discounts.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i use myofusion gaspari. My favorite flavors are cinnamon bun and banana. OR nectar brand I like the vanilla bean torte. You can purchase both brands from vitacost for about $25.00 a tub.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I have tried many and my favorite by far is the EAS 100% whey chocolate powder. Mixed with milk and crushed ice, its like drinking a chocolate milkshake :)
  • taxford
    taxford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll third the Optimum Nutrition... tastes great and is much lower in cholesterol and sugars than other brands. I've enjoyed the Strawberry and Mocha Cappuccino varieties. Can anyone vouch for the other flavors?
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

This. It mixes well and if you add just a tiny bit of water or milk and mix it well and chill, it's like chocolate pudding. Of course, the expense depends on where you buy it. I live in South Korea so I pay double the price for it than most places.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition 100% whey. I like the double chocolate (I haven't tried other flavors). It's not chalky like other brands I have tried. When I bought it, I found the cheapest place to be vitaminshoppe.com.
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    I could be totally picky but most of the GNC whey powder shakes made me sick unless I mixed them with nonfat milk. They weren't yummy but I didn't toss my cookies after drinking one anymore. I got a tip from someone here about Shakeology by beachbody and I have to say it is the best I have ever had. I'm not going to do a naked back flip over it, but it is good and vbery healthy.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is ALLMAX but ON is good as well. Cheaper than Allmax but Allmax I find has good products overall in terms of mixability, nutritional profile is excellent as well. not a smany flavors as ON but expanding steadily
  • wp95jma
    wp95jma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've used Jay Robb Whey Protein chocolate powder before. It tastes good and doesn't have a bunch of artificial stuff in it: http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/whey-protein-chocolate.asp
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I'll third the Optimum Nutrition... tastes great and is much lower in cholesterol and sugars than other brands. I've enjoyed the Strawberry and Mocha Cappuccino varieties. Can anyone vouch for the other flavors?

Their Cinnamon Graham Cracker flavor is delicious. Especially with a tablespoon of PB2 or the sugar free, fat free, Cheesecake flavor instant Jello mix added in.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    because price based of region and Australia being SUPER expensive even though NZ has a huge dairy industry... I would try to just cross reference google shopping with other results and just go by average customer reviews, but this is what people neglect. I go on Youtube and look up VIDEO reviews... ah yea... Youtube verifies or denies suspicious ratings.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My protein shake of choice is About Time. I fell in love with the chocolate, but now I'm in love with the Birthday Cake. They have a lot of flavors and an unflavored version. It's gluten free, vegan, lactose free, sugar free (it's sweetened with stevia), few ingredients and it's a protein isolate.

I get it on Amazon because GNC is a rip off.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use three,, and I find RIVALUS PROMASIL - Soft Serve Vanilla which I buy at GNC to be the best tasting. I also use Optimum Nutrition Solid Gold Vanilla and Kaizen Naturals 100% New Zealand Whey Protein Natural Vanilla Bean. I find the Solid Gold the worst tasting of the three.
  • RunMumRun1
    RunMumRun1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the optimum nutrition cookies and cream flavour? My husband wants to try it and that's the flavour he wants or chocolate?