Does anyone count housework as excersise?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm not sedentary at all I work out over a hr a day so what would I put it at?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you put it at *at first*...because then you should track consistently for 6+ weeks and *then* determine if you need to change it. People are different in their BMR and the only way to figure that out for each individual is to track and adjust. That said, I recommend starting at "lightly active" and logging your exercise on top of that. (Myself, I had to tweak it up to "active" to account for my metabolism.) Track consistently for 6+ weeks and then reevaluate. If you're losing too quickly, bump it up to "active". Too slowly and then consider dropping it. Track again for at least 6 weeks and reevaluate again. Repeat cycle until goal reached.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you set your activity level to sedentary, then anything that you do that involves moving around can be counted as exercise. If you call yourself active, then no, you should not count housework as an exercise. If you call yourself active, based on your workout, then you shouldn't count your workout separately either.
  • tmiracle11
    Options
    Isn't house cleaning under the exercise database on MFP? I've never used it but I believe it's there...
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I worked out 900 plus minutes this week and that's usually my average a week
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    nope I got fat while cleaning

No you got fat while eating.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    There are multiple ways to do this. Some people calculate how much they burn including their normal weekly exercise and how much of a deficit they need. Then they put that in as a target. Because their exercise is already included in their target, they then record all exercise as 1 calorie. At the other extreme, some people say they are sedentary (low daily activity) and then record all kinds of activity, like shopping, housework etc.
    The concern is that you don't double count exercise or under eat by too much because you don't count exercise.
    Over time you'll see what works for you.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I sweat so it counts.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    be nice
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Nope - I wouldn't.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I sweat so it counts.

Just so you know, I sweat in my sleep. I'm not counting that as exercise. Sweat is not an indication of anything :happy:
  • vagirl8669
    Options
    I don't know that routine housework should count cuz your body is used to that. If you scrubbing floors or building a deck, go ahead and count it. lol
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    heck yes, i put cleaning as exercise. maybe you should change your settings, from sedentary to the next one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you put it at *at first*...because then you should track consistently for 6+ weeks and *then* determine if you need to change it. People are different in their BMR and the only way to figure that out for each individual is to track and adjust. That said, I recommend starting at "lightly active" and logging your exercise on top of that. (Myself, I had to tweak it up to "active" to account for my metabolism.) Track consistently for 6+ weeks and then reevaluate. If you're losing too quickly, bump it up to "active". Too slowly and then consider dropping it. Track again for at least 6 weeks and reevaluate again. Repeat cycle until goal reached.

This is a good method. I'd say at least lightly active but maybe active depending on the rest of your day. I'm a housewife with no kids and lightly active is about right for me.
  • sweetash13
    Options
    Yes, when its about a few hours of cleaning i do every 3 months. When my room looks like a tornado, its takes at least 3hrs to clean it up, I break a sweat. I wouldn't count daily cleaning chores like sweeping, vacuuming or mopping.
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I think sedentary is for your work. If you're sitting all day in front of a computer, than you're sedentary. I guess it counts for about 8 hours a day. Everything you do after work you log it into exercise. If you are a postman than you don't put it like you're sedentary, you put active. But you don't log that exercise because it is counted in your work... I don't know how to explain it well...

As for logging housework, I logged it today, but I did about 3 hours and I only logged one hour. It depends on how fast I was cleaning and if my cardio was up.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you use a HRM it could assist you. If properly set it should tell you what extra calories you've burned other than your normal lifestyle. When I clean I am set on "kill" so I count it and usually have to change afterwards, (sorry for the TMI).
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't count housework as exercise. I doubt that I'm really burning many more calories doing housework than I'd be burning doing other normal activities.
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't count just regular housework that I do every day even though my activity level is also more sedentary. But if I'm cleaning out closets or moving furniture, and other more intense chores like that, I count it.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Im a student in college dont work i pace around on my feet alot and go up and down 3 flights of stairs constantly
    Oh and i use a HRM
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    So...what was your reason for putting "sedentary" as your lifestyle???