Nutrition Question - counting for heavy burn days

Options
Hi All,

I need a little help here... I'm getting confused.

I have started riding to work 3 days a week (50km round trip) which burns approx 1000 Cals per day. So on these days I essentially consume a net of 500 Cals.

I am working on a 1500 calorie per day nutrition plan, and as can be expected on the days I ride I feel flat as I have no fuel for the afternoon ride. Should I be increasing my intake on the days I ride to compensate.

My goal is obviously to loose weight, and tone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes, netting 500 cals a day is almost the same as only consuming 500 calories a day. Your body will become exhausted and unwilling to keep going. You also will most likely no longer lose weight and possibly gain because your body will begin to hold on to anything and everything it can, converting it to fat.
    Please eat more on the days you bike! I would NET what you were consuming (about 1500 cals). See how it works for you for a few weeks
    Good Luck! :bigsmile:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Absoloutely.

As a man, 1500 cals is probably way under your TDEE. so you should definitely eat back those exercise calories on those big burn days..
    Your body is telling you it doesnt have enough to fuel it... Listen to it!
  • OzJester13
    OzJester13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps for the advice.

I'll try and eat on the extra burn days to keep my net @ 1500 and see how that goes for a few weeks :)