This belly!!!!

Options
I have lost almost 30 pounds since January, I don't log calories everyday but for the most part I count them and try to not get too crazy. I've also changed some of the foods in my diet. I drink more water and I try to move around as much as possible. I have about 60 more pounds to lose until I am at a healthy weight BUT here is my problem...MY BELLY! I swear it has not moved at all! I am apple-shaped I've always had big boobs and a small bottom. I've gone down about a cup size so my boobs aren't the problem it's this darn stomach of mine. I don't have the time or money to go to the gym and I don't think I have the patience to lift any weights or walk on a treadmill anyway. I love being outside and walking or going bowling, pretty much anything but being inside a gym really...anyway, does anyone have any advice on what I can do at home to help get this belly gone? I know it's going to take some time but I wish I could see a difference (I've taken pics too...there is no difference) I do crunches (sometimes) maybe I need to do them everyday. Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

Replies

• dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Crunches/situps/ab machine thingys wont make your belly go away. Unfortunately you just have to lose fat via good old fashioned calorie deficit and nutrition.

Edit: I missed this part the first time around " I don't have the time or money to go to the gym and I don't think I have the patience to lift any weights or walk on a treadmill anyway."

Yeah, lift weights and do some cardio.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I found level 1 of jillian michaels on youtube. All you need is one weight. (Probably pretty cheap in a store or on Amazon) It is a nice keeps you moving type of workout that targets your abs, back and lower stomach. Also, since she uses a weight with a majority of her exercises, it will also help you tone and improve your body fat %.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good job on the 30lbs! :D. I think the best solution is to keep up at what you are doing in the nutrition field and add some exercise in there as well. I know you cant make fat disappear in just certain areas of the body it just does its own thing, but something I have noticed is stuff like Pilates and yoga strengthen my back and torso (amongst other areas) and make me stand up straighter therefore making my stomach "shrink" if that makes sense haha. Plus more muscle = more calories burned! anywho good luck chicka!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If yo feel like you lack patience, the Jillian Michaels DVDs (30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30) probably would be a good option for you because they're only 20-25 minutes long.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Seriously, losing the weight in your belly is at least 80% calorie deficit, and usually the place on the body where we carry most of our fat is often the last place we lose it. Keep doing what you're doing. You've done great losing 30 pounds so far! Keep it up, and have patience.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congrats on 30 LB's that is AWESOME. I too had issues with my belly for years. I did not start losing it until I did two things.
    1. Cut back on breads and sugars. Both of these add belly fat and
    2. I started doing butt bible. Here are my results and you can see in 3 1/2 months how I lost my belly doing these two things. I did not start butt bible until 2/27 but I still have had amazing results with this program. On my blog I have one for butt bible that explains the program and another that shows my results.
    You can lose it off the middle, but it will require tweaking your diet, and exercising. Crunches alone will not do it! You need to strengthen all the muscles in your core (back and abs) in order for it to work. Good Luck!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Shes1CraftyMama
  • jill604
    jill604 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice! I agree I'll just have to be patient it'll go away! I don't think I'll ever lift weights it's just not my thing BUT! I walk a lot (about 3 miles 5 days a week) I teach music so I'm on my feet all day and I used to run (hopefully I'll get back to that) I just have to do it outside because being on a treadmill is so boring! I'm moving all the time but I just want this stomach to leave. I think I will try Jillian's 30 day shred. 20 minutes is not so bad and it doesn't look like it will be too crazy. Thanks again!
  • Kellihulst
    Kellihulst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few others... abs are made in the kitchen. It took me along time to come to this realization. Once I did they started making an appearance. I just made a video on 10 tips for abs that have helped me. Let me know if you want to see it.
    But awesome job on the 30 lbs!!! Be so proud of yourself!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'd love to view the video!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice! I agree I'll just have to be patient it'll go away! I don't think I'll ever lift weights it's just not my thing BUT! I walk a lot (about 3 miles 5 days a week) I teach music so I'm on my feet all day and I used to run (hopefully I'll get back to that) I just have to do it outside because being on a treadmill is so boring! I'm moving all the time but I just want this stomach to leave. I think I will try Jillian's 30 day shred. 20 minutes is not so bad and it doesn't look like it will be too crazy. Thanks again!

What about body weight calisthenics? It does a lot of good things--similar to what weight-lifting would do. There are all kinds of body weight programs. I would reinforce what a lot of other people have said about calorie deficits being needed to burn off abdominal fat but strengthening your muscles will do a lot to burn off fat 24/7--even when you are sleeping. Eating sugar raises cortisol levels (as does stress) and high cortisol causes more fat to accumulate on the abdomen and causes the body to resist fat burning as well. So you might want to look at your sugar consumption and stay within the MFP guideline.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have the same problem... carry it in my belly. But as other posters have mentioned it will probably be the last place to go so the only thing you can do is continue to eat right and work out. I figure once there is no fat to go anywhere else on my body then it will finally come off the tummy... unfortunately it'll be awhile for me.
  • jill604
    jill604 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sugar problem! like I have something sweet after almost every meal... I am going to start making a conscious effort to cut down on sugar because I'm always over on my sugar intake. Thanks for all this advice it's very encouraging and motivates me to do even better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a joy? And if you have any insulin insensitivity you can expect Mr. Belly to be even more tenacious.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you can exercise until the cows come home but no exercise is going to reduce your stomach. ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN... get you diet right and you will see a reduction in you mid section. it is not all about eating a certain number of calories it is more about what you are eating. got to cut out the sugars and salts that lead to bloating around your mid section.

good luck in you journey.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a joy? And if you have any insulin insensitivity you can expect Mr. Belly to be even more tenacious.

^^^THIS^^^ And strengthening and building your muscles is GREAT for increasing insulin sensitivity! :smile:
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    to onwarddownward - if you are wanting to view the 30 day shred - I have read that it is on you tube. I purchased @ target for under $10.

OP Best to you - lots of good advice thus far:smile: