weight loss surgery!

Options
13»

Replies

• tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had considered it, but my neurologist told me it was a bad idea for me because of all of the stress the surgery and rapid weight loss would cause my body...and stress on the body with you have multiple sclerosis is a bad thing. So I started chugging along the diet/exercise way. But everyone has to make their own choices, and do what's best for them. I have had many friends have WLS, with varying degrees of success. One with a lapband hasn't lost any weight...in fact looks like she's gained. Those with the more extreme types (RnY, sleeve, etc.) have had much more dramatic weight loss, but it comes with problems, too...i.e. not being able to eat certain things, having sugar crashes ("dumping"), things like that. Do your research, talk to your PCP, talk to a few different gastric bypass surgeons, and lots of people who have had the surgery (like you're doing with this thread). I hope you get the information you need to decide what's best for you. Best wishes!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have stated on here numerous times that I take away nothing from those that choose to have WLS to use it as a tool to save there lives but that being said I also like to throw my hat into the ring and tell you it CAN be done on your own. I was 560 lbs. just 4 years ago and unable to walk could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch. I had been home bound for over 2 years when I had the AHA moment I had enough common sense to know that if I could not fix what was broken in my head then nothing not even WLS was going to make a bit of difference. So I got into therapy to first address my addictions and then hit the Pool to use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to begin to exercise... I spent 17 months in the water and lost close to 180 lbs, before I could get out of the pool and be fitted for knee OA braces to allow me to exercise out of the water... Fast forward to today and you can see my ticker, I have taken control of my destiny and now my future is again unwritten... You have to do what is best for you first and foremost but just wanted to say you can dig yourself out of any hole as long as your willing to put forth the effect.... Best of Luck......

I wish more people could do what you just briefly described. You are truly an inspiration. Too many people look for the quick fix. Not that WLS is easy or quick by any means, but I feel that if more people would "fix what's broken in their head" first and address any underlying issues causing them to binge eat, or eat unhealthily all the time, more people would succeed on their WLJ without having to resort to cutting their bodies open to do so.

There is a very slim percentage of folks that have literally no control over their weight, and I mean negligible due to rare health issues. For everyone else, we get fat by choice. Just to point out, I do have a health issue that caused me to gain weight...but I made it worse by using it as an excuse to enable myself to eat poorly with the broken mindset of "well, I gain weight anyway so I might as well eat what I want!". We all have the choice to do better for ourselves and our health. I hate to see peopel go through needless pain and surgeries and all of that recovery to do what you can accomplish on your own in the kitchen and in the gym for so much less money.
  • Kevintron2
    Kevintron2 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm a service disabled veteran and had it offered to me for free from the local VAMC. I personally know two people that have died from complications of gastric bypass surgery. I decided to give it a go on my own and losing weight from watching what I eat and getting plenty of exercise. I could not be happier!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • molina76853
    molina76853 Posts: 143
    Options
    Interesting....
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my head right through therapy at the same time I'm going through a weight loss program. The progress in therapy motivates my weight loss and my weight loss helps the therapy. Weight loss and therapy coupled together are easier than trying to tackle each one separately.
  • beccaR1960
    beccaR1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to see people cone here considering major surgery because they aren't willing to put in dedication. There isn't a surgery that is going to change your dedication unfortunately. It does not address the pathological reasons you aren't losing weight.

You have no idea what people may or may not have put in to changing their lives pre surgery... I know for a fact you sure don't know what I've done to change MY life! It saddens me to see people with such closed minds... I have worked VERY HARD for FOUR YEARS to lose weight by changing my lifestyle, tracking my foods, exercising... Gone to dietitians, doctors galore, endocrinologists... The list goes on and on!

And bottom line, I have KILLED my metabolism with all the years of yo you dieting.... Now at 52, the pounds DO NOT come off. Not even finding my thyroid problem (Hashimotos) and being on meds has helped. In spite of the fact that I exercise regularly and account for every bit that goes into my mouth, I am now diagnosed with type II diabetes.

Sure, there are people out there looking for the easy way out! They not only seek surgery, but try all the new pills and diets in hopes the next one will "fix" the problem....

But that is not everyone... especially not the majority seeking surgery... because most insurances and surgeons require a 6 month program of dietitian visits and psy evals, etc. You cannot go into this surgery without learning it is ONLY A TOOL and still requires much head work and lifestyle change.

I am sure there are a few like you mention, but please please please do NOT lump us all into that category because you have NO IDEA what dedication I have put into having a healthier and longer life!

I AM going to have surgery in Aug... And I AM dedicated! I need help or I will die at 300+ pds and all the issues that go with it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to see people cone here considering major surgery because they aren't willing to put in dedication. There isn't a surgery that is going to change your dedication unfortunately. It does not address the pathological reasons you aren't losing weight.

You have no idea what people may or may not have put in to changing their lives pre surgery... I know for a fact you sure don't know what I've done to change MY life! It saddens me to see people with such closed minds... I have worked VERY HARD for FOUR YEARS to lose weight by changing my lifestyle, tracking my foods, exercising... Gone to dietitians, doctors galore, endocrinologists... The list goes on and on!

And bottom line, I have KILLED my metabolism with all the years of yo you dieting.... Now at 52, the pounds DO NOT come off. Not even finding my thyroid problem (Hashimotos) and being on meds has helped. In spite of the fact that I exercise regularly and account for every bit that goes into my mouth, I am now diagnosed with type II diabetes.

Sure, there are people out there looking for the easy way out! They not only seek surgery, but try all the new pills and diets in hopes the next one will "fix" the problem....

But that is not everyone... especially not the majority seeking surgery... because most insurances and surgeons require a 6 month program of dietitian visits and psy evals, etc. You cannot go into this surgery without learning it is ONLY A TOOL and still requires much head work and lifestyle change.

I am sure there are a few like you mention, but please please please do NOT lump us all into that category because you have NO IDEA what dedication I have put into having a healthier and longer life!

I AM going to have surgery in Aug... And I AM dedicated! I need help or I will die at 300+ pds and all the issues that go with it.

If you do not have a medical condition I find it very hard to believe at 300lbs you cannot lose any weight. Gastric bypass doesn't help metabolism at all since it reduces the intake you can have daily of food which is a bit of how people kill their metabolism in the first place (unless there is a medical issue).

I have had trouble losing weight over the years but considering severely restricting my calorie intake didn't help then I doubt gastric bypass would be of much use since it's the same principle, calorie restriction. If there is some kind of crazy medical reason people need gastric bypass I am not aware of it. Perhaps you can shed some light onto that.

If you feel good about your choice then that's fantastic and it shouldn't matter what other people think.
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have stated on here numerous times that I take away nothing from those that choose to have WLS to use it as a tool to save there lives but that being said I also like to throw my hat into the ring and tell you it CAN be done on your own. I was 560 lbs. just 4 years ago and unable to walk could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch. I had been home bound for over 2 years when I had the AHA moment I had enough common sense to know that if I could not fix what was broken in my head then nothing not even WLS was going to make a bit of difference. So I got into therapy to first address my addictions and then hit the Pool to use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to begin to exercise... I spent 17 months in the water and lost close to 180 lbs, before I could get out of the pool and be fitted for knee OA braces to allow me to exercise out of the water... Fast forward to today and you can see my ticker, I have taken control of my destiny and now my future is again unwritten... You have to do what is best for you first and foremost but just wanted to say you can dig yourself out of any hole as long as your willing to put forth the effect.... Best of Luck......

This is just amazing! So inspiring.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I decided against it and did it on my own. I feel this was the best choice for me because it allowed me to change mentally and progress to a healthy life rather than trying to just get the result I wanted.

^^^ 195 lost... IMPRESSIVE & Super Inspiring!!!! :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    2005 I was 18 400 pounds I had Gastric bypass got down to 290. Over about 5 years I gain 40 pounds back. It is a tool I did not use to its full advantage but I still maintain that it saved my life. But I ate through it, I have this huge scar, I am still obese and I have to deal with the shame of the fact that I had WLS and didn't loose all the weight. But I would do it again because I do not think I had the mind set to do what I am doing now. But some people who are like me even have revisions they do the surgery again, I have looked into this in the past. But I know now that if you can't exercise and eat right before surgery than surgery isn't going to solve anything.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It is something that has saved my mom, dad, both uncles, and aunts life. Its a tool that if it needs to be used then it should be used. I have lost weight by myself, but not everyone can do that. There are always going to be people who have complications with ANYTHING out there, but at the end of the day the decision is up to you, and what is best for you and your body! Good luck.
  • Isakizza
    Options
    After caring for people who had serious health problems after WLS, I decided it was not for me.

My aunt and my mom both had it. My aunt still struggles in keeping up with her weight and fitness, has large scars due to plastic surgery removing skin from rapid weight loss. But is in better shape mentally and physically than my mom.

My mom just recently about a year ago. My mom is tiny now, however very very malnutritioned, also has health issues. I worry about her. The problem with WLS (from my expereince) is retraining of the mind, way of thinking. It's a long process to change the way you think.

Whatever you do decided, be well informed. Start now with small changes in your lifestyle. Follow exactly what you doctor and nurses instruct. Good luck! :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Isakizza
    Options

^^^ ROCKSTAR!!!
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Every case is different, and there is no shame in having WLS. I had Gastric Bypass(nearly 5 years ago), had no complications, had very little dumping syndrome and I lost 125lbs in the first year. I was 345lbss when I had the surgery. Due to many factors including PCOS, and not using this tool(WLS)properly I have been stagnent in losing any more. Since joining MFP I have lost 16lbs and feel like I am on the right track. Although I am still considered obese I feel great and have a much better life. My only regret is not having the surgery sooner in life. No matter which way you cut it losing weight is hard work. Make sure you do what is right for you and don't let anyone tell you that you've chosen the wrong path whichever path you choose.
  • jennifer1726
    Options
    I have had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery as of March 11, 2013 and so far have had great successes.
  • jennifer1726
    Options
    Those who had weight loss surgery years ago, would more than likely have the large scar on their abdomen. Nowadays the surgeons perform it Laproscopically so there is only minimum scarring. I have 6 small scratch looking scars on my stomach. I elected to have the Sleeve surgery because there was no rerouting of the intestines, you merely have 80-85 % of your stomach removed. This means that everything you eat is digested exactly as it was meant to be. It does reduce the amount you will be able to eat, but you don't have many of the side effects you would have with Bypass surgery. No malnutrition, no dumping syndrome, shorter recovery time, and none of the deficiencies as with the Bypass. I feel it is the best option to use. :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!