New to Actually Losing Weight

Options
I've joined mfp 2 weeks ago and i have lost 11lbs got an awful long way to go yet though. Everything had been going great but now im really hungry and the hunger is so strong i cant seem to settle it. I'm concerned that i'll go over my calorie limit. anyone had experience of this and how they have delt with the hunger. Its more a problem before bed time and if i dont sort it im constantly hungry the next day

cheers in advance

Replies

• OzJester13
    OzJester13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    a couple of things that I do that might help.

1. If I get that hungry feeling I have a big drink of water it generally subsides it for a while.
    2. Check, double check and triple check your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and make sure you are consuming less than this. Remember that as you loose weight your TDEE will decrease - I recalculate mine each time I weigh myself (weekly). If you are too ow under your bidy is telling you something .. add some calories - just make sure your in deficit - its not a race .. loose at a pace which you can sustain.
    3. Look at possibly using a low calorie shake or snack before bed.
    4. Spread your meals out to compensate for the feeling of hunger. or increase the number of meals a day (and calories per meal)

Its ok ... its a long journey.. congratulations on your loss so far.
  • jwillyams
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply

ive used the automatic 2lb weight loss a week setting with all my details entered on here. is that the TDEE your on about. Also is the low calorie shakes the protein shakes ive been reading about on here, can you recommend any?

cheers
  • 4shani
    4shani Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz had a belly fat blaster topic on his show today. He recommended using acacia fiber powder on some of your meals to curb hunger. Supposedly its tasteless and you can add to soups etc. May be worth a try. Looks like its not too expensive. He did say that you should make sure to drink at least a glass of water when you use it too. Hope this helps.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz had a belly fat blaster topic on his show today. He recommended using acacia fiber powder on some of your meals to curb hunger. Supposedly its tasteless and you can add to soups etc. May be worth a try. Looks like its not too expensive. He did say that you should make sure to drink at least a glass of water when you use it too. Hope this helps.

Quack, quack.

Sorry, but I think "Dr." Oz has a lot of bad ideas.

Keep at the cravings. Try not to keep crave items in the house. Take photos of you on your journey to show your progress. Journal every bite.

Exercise helps with cravings because we see how hard we have to work to get that food "paid for."

Good luck,

Jan
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is dangerous. He recommends whatever the latest gimmick is and often is marketing said gimmick. If he said the sky was blue I'd look outside to check. With this in mind, I looked up "acacia fiber powder." Consider this from Livestrong.com. I wouldn't take it.

"Known Side Effects

"Acacia is considered nontoxic when taken in food or medications. However, there are certain side effects that have resulted from taking acacia in this way or by breathing its dust. For one, acacia might increase your cholesterol levels. Also, it has caused allergic reactions in some people, such as skin lesions and respiratory concerns. When given in IV form, as was done in the past for certain medical conditions, acacia has caused damage to the liver and kidneys.
    Medication Interactions

"Acacia can interact with some medications with alkaloids, and it interferes with the absorption of certain vitamins when an enzyme in it is not deactivated via heat. It also counteracts the antibacterial properties of methyl-p-hydroxybenzoate, a preservative. However, more research is needed to determine any other possible medication interactions it might have. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist as to whether or not to take acacia with specific medications.
    Warning

"Overall, there is not enough research on acacia fiber to determine all of its possible side effects and drug interactions. You should use caution with the ingredient until more research is performed. Drugs.com especially warns that there is not enough research related to acacia gum and pregnant or nursing women.

"Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/542253-acacia-fiber-side-effects/#ixzz2RuMnqnn7"
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Are you really hungry or just bored?
    Figure out your "triggers" and avoid them.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 4 months, since January 1...and what I have noticed is when I eat refined carbs...I am hungry all day long....if I stick to healthy carbs like fruit, whole grains, I do not have that issue:) Good luck!
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    Try and eat more protein throughout the day. It keeps you fuller longer.

Protein bars, peanut butter, boiled eggs, nuts, beans, etc are all great protein-rich snacks that you can have throughout the day.
    An egg is only 70 calories, so having that before bed might curb your hunger until tomorrow.

Also, depending on how much weight you want to lose long-term, a two pound loss a week might be a bit high, maybe reducing it to 1.5 or 1 lb a week may be more suited to your dietary needs, and might be more sustainable in the long run!

Keep up the great work!
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm with you about Dr. Oz. I use to like him, but I think he jumps on the band wagon with every latest fad....There's gotta be something in it for him.
  • 4shani
    4shani Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Aww... I'm saddened to hear that about Dr. Oz. I work alot so its rarely that I get to stay home and watch any television. I just remember him from the Oprah days. Thought I was helping. Probably the thing that works most is the glass of water any way. Keep at it!!! Don't give up!
  • mspasdechat
    mspasdechat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and vegetables are always a great way to go if you're looking for a snack - they fill you up without ruining your goals for the day.
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jan about Dr. Oz. I think he jumps on every band wagon that comes around. I am really disappointed with him. In any event try and eat small snacks throughout the day whether you are hungry or not, then maybe you will not be so hungry at night.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!