So what do the kids eat...?

Options

Replies

• nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why would you choose healthy food for yourself and then feed your kids something different? How many people are here because of poor eating habits they developed as children? Feed your kids healthy, nutritious food and give them the gift of a lifetime of health.

^^^this^^^
    Have fun with it
    Be persistent
    And try the "three bite rule"
    :o)
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My kids eat what we eat, for the most part. One is 3.5 and the other is 1.5. The only time I make them anything separate is if I make something I know they won't eat or is spicy (chili, curry). If they don't eat their meal they don't get anything else. The exception to that rule is vegetables. They always get veggies when they ask. I usually have things like cucumbers, broccoli and carrots on hand.
    They love fruit and veggies, the youngest especially fruit and the oldest especially veggies. The 3 year old will actually steal green beans and stuff from the produce section if I don't watch him close enough.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I wasn't the only "mean" mom by not being a short order cook!
    In our house its a bit tricky, I have 2 somewhat picky eaters (tomato sauce/fish etc) and one adult picky vegetarian. So my meal planning gets creative. That being said, they are encouraged to try everything, and if they truly do not want it they can go ahead and make their own food.
    Lucky enough my kids have always liked fruits and veggies. And have respected my "just try it" rule. :)

Side note my 9yr old loves quinoa, my son is not a fan of it...or rice...sigh
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I still buy my kids what they want for their lunches. They need things that are easy to microwave or straight from the fridge, so I let them pick what they want to take for lunch. For snacks, I do occasionally buy them snack cakes or chips, I just don't eat them unless I have the calories available. I have noticed that the longer I have been buying the healthy snacks, the more often they choose the healthy snacks before the junk. I am succeeding with my kids, but my hubby still has that sweet tooth!

For dinner, they eat what I cook, no exceptions. But I try to fix a healthy but tasty meal that the whole family can eat.
  • Fit_Mama99
    Options
    bump
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My 2 and 3 year old love quinoa! And asparagus, broccoli, carrots, beets, peas, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, chicken breast, applesauce, pork chops, rice, hamburgers, meatloaf, pasta, etc. They eat what we eat. I make "normal" meals, but I always count the calories and portion control. I can't live without spaghetti night, burger night or pizza night every once in a while!
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of moaning and groaning about my healthier dinners when I started eating better, from my husband mostly :bigsmile: My kids got over it soon enough, still working on husband. Stick with it, they will adapt and feel better for it too!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Reading thru this thread I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? I basically still cook the same as always only now I'm cooking a bit lighter version, watching my portions, and cutting down on my carbs (I was a severe addict!). So my family enjoys dinnertime same as usual.

Have others seriously changed their menus? If so, how? (btw I'm obviously new around here!).
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My kid eats whatever I cook. Occasionally she asks for a treat at the grocery store and I get it for her because she eats so well.
  • staceybe58
    Options
    While growing up I the only options I was presented at meal time was "take it or leave it"
    My husband and I plan on sticking to that with our family.

If the kids see you making good choices, they will make good choices. You are their first teacher and leader just through your actions.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    there's nothing inherently "Adult" about quinoa! My kids love couscous and barley pilaf and have happily eaten quinoa.

A lot of "kid food" as we think of it today is highly processed, salt-and-sugar filled stuff. Sure, they like it -- because we give it to them because we think that's all they'll eat. We really underestimate the ability of our kids to eat real food.

When my oldest was a toddler, his favorite foods were black olives, hummus, and sweet potato curry. People told me I was "so lucky you don't have a picky eater." But this was also the kid who refused lunchmeat, mashed potatoes, and cheese! But his likes/dislikes weren't about "kid food" or "grownup food.' They were his own issues with texture, entirely separate from whether something came in a package with cartoon characters on it.

So yeah, my kids are offered pretty much the same thing we're eating, and always have been. I will accommodate food issues --to this day, my son won't eat cheese, so we have cheese separately at the table and pass it for those who like it. I don't expect everyone to like every food and eat everything on offer, but I'm not cooking separate meals, and I'm trying to teach them to recognize healthy foods and understand that our bodies need a a good variety of foods to grow in a healthy way, and that treats should be balanced and considered in the context of everything you eat.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My kids eat whatever i fix them no choice, or go hungry. Meals at my house are all gluten free. However i don't always eat what they eat because i don't eat grain or much fruit to keep my blood sugar down. Like if i make a brown rice or pasta dish i just make my self a dish with more veggies. Or if i make them gluten free wraps, i have mine on lettuce wraps. They like lettuce wraps too, but i like them to have a grain. They have issues with grain or fruit so it wouldn't be fair to them not to get that stuff just because i can't eat it.

Snacks at my house are free, fruit or veggie anytime except and hour before a meal.

I really think its about finding what works for you family.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well with the healthy eating. Went shopping yesteday loaded up with fresh veggies, beans, quinoa. prepped a bunch of healthy recipes and then thought... And now what are the kids going to eat?! (and my husband remarked-where are the chips?) Sure they'll eat fresh veggies and fruit, but probably not Quinoa or Niciose Salad. So how do you integrate the family eating with your own?
    2 seperate meals? And keep buying those snacks?

get them to eat it too!!!! I always had what my parents had - grew up much healthier than I would otherwise. Of course I had some treat days with chicken nuggets or left over pasta when they wanted curry, but I grew up eating fish and loving it.

Foster a positive, healthy relationship between your children and food :)
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love seeing so many people saying that they feed their children healthy meals.

I don't have children yet but definitely planning it and I want to raise them in a more healthy way than I was raised. I don't understand why so many parents feel like children SHOULD be eating candy every day, or that they SHOULD eat fries every week. If you are eating healthy with the occassional indulgence, why not raise them that way?

I am going to teach my children from a young age the benefits of healthy nutrition, as well as the benefits of exercise.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Reading thru this thread I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? I basically still cook the same as always only now I'm cooking a bit lighter version, watching my portions, and cutting down on my carbs (I was a severe addict!). So my family enjoys dinnertime same as usual.

Have others seriously changed their menus? If so, how? (btw I'm obviously new around here!).

Maybe you were eating fairly healthily before? I know that was the case for me, and I still cook a lot of the things that I used to. I have less pasta than I used to, but I still cook it and give my son a much bigger portion! I think my problem was eating a little bit too much rather than eating bad food, so I try not to do that now.

To answer the main question, I give my son the same as me, but I do adjust my cooking to his likes and dislikes. For instance, if I cook something with mushrooms I'll usually leave them big enough for him to pick out, or I'll pick them out of his portion and put them on his plate. I do ask him to try foods he doesn't like every now and then though, because he might find that he likes them! He has just started liking oily fish, thankfully!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    hummis and pita chips,and pretzels and nutella with silk mik is what my daughter loves to eat everyday thank god for sams club and good earth market .AND I MEAN EVERYDAY :laugh:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well with the healthy eating. Went shopping yesteday loaded up with fresh veggies, beans, quinoa. prepped a bunch of healthy recipes and then thought... And now what are the kids going to eat?! (and my husband remarked-where are the chips?) Sure they'll eat fresh veggies and fruit, but probably not Quinoa or Niciose Salad. So how do you integrate the family eating with your own?
    2 seperate meals? And keep buying those snacks?

Huh? This is bizarre to me. Why wouldn't your kids eat what you eat? Why should they eat crap like chips? Just eat the same dinner.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Well, the kids need to learn to eat healthy too, but it is also true that they have slightly different nutritional needs than you do.

This is a really good point -- "Healthy" for kids might be somewhat different than "healthy" for a grownup.

Or at least -- good nutritious food is a constant, but parents should be aware that kids may need different macros than adults. Remember, they're growing fast, and not "Growing" like an adult -- straight out. They're making new cells, new bones, growing teeth. They NEED good fat and cholesterol. I hear people say they're putting their babies on skim milk and throwing out the egg yolks for them and I just want to yell "NO! Your kid is NOT YOU!" (Well, I tend to want to yell "NO! Don't!" when I hear about people throwing out good egg yolks no matter what).
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i have never understood the "my kid will only eat __insert bad food here__". you are the parent. you make the rules. when i was growing up you ate what was served or you didn't eat. my mom very rarely cooked but a couple of times a year she would make bean soup. i hated it! hated! we ate it for a week. that means for a solid week i ate cornbread because there was cornbread to go with the bean soup. that said, i would kill for a bowl of my mom's bean soup now! not to mention, why would you let you child eat things that you deem unhealthy for you to eat.

also, i would wager the children of south america probably would disagree that children won't eat quinoa ;-)
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Breakfast & lunch varies & the kids don't always eat as healthy at lunch. However, at suppertime, we all eat the same meal. My kitchen is not a restaurant & I refuse to fix a specific meal for each person. I never purposedly fix things I know my kids dislike but I have tried my best to not raise my kids to be overly picky eaters. Every person dislikes certain foods so I don't expect them to like everything but I do expect them to be open to trying different foods. I don't see why I'd fix a decently healthy dinner & then ever fix them a different meal that wasn't healthy. That just boggles my mind & I honestly don't have the time in the kitchen to mess with making 2 seperate dinners in the evenings.