Loss 80 Gained 90 Starting Again Turning 40 & Menopausal

Options
In Apr 2010 I set my mind up to loss my weight, I loss over 80 lbs. I was so proud of myself.. Then in Feb 2011 I had to have a sudden Full Blown Hysterectomy at the age of 37.. I have officially gained ALL my weight back, plus some. It was too easy to blame my weight gaining on my surgery/menopause and therefore I slowly gained a little weight each month..

I’m back to where I’m short breath walking up stairs, get headaches A LOT, and feel tired ALL the time.. Sooo… I’m starting to claim my life back again. For my birthday present, turn 40 next month, I’m giving myself the gift of health again.. I started using this program again last week and have already managed to lose 7lbs in one week. Now I’m sure that’s just the “started up” shock to my body and know not to expect that every week but it was enough to let me know, I HAVE CONTROL of my body NOT the menopause..

Reason for my post… I’m looking for friends to help keep me motivated.. Watching your weight lose will help keep me on track and give me that extra drive, “if you can do it, so can I”.. I prefer to have friends that are in the same situation as me.. With the loss then gain, around 40 in age, and in menopause.. Of course I won’t refuse any friend invites either  the more the merrier..

Replies

• cdvelez
    cdvelez Posts: 1
    Options
    Great Job keep up the good work :-)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 this year you can add me. :flowerforyou:
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you. I am knocking at 40's door too. I promised myself when i turned 38 that by the time I turned 40 that I wanted to be healthy. Around 60 lbs so far. I have got 8 months to go to lose more!
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My mum had to go through the same thing at the age of 37, she's the strongest person I know...keep on going hun you'll make it :)
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I started last January (2012) and lost 106 lbs. I did great for a while but have gained back over 20 now. I don't have menopause (that I know of -- I'm 37) but I don't have a thyroid and I think that has messed me up some. I've got osteo-arthritis and the weight I have gained is putting a lot more pressure on my joints and I'm hurting all the time and just miserable. I'm going to send you a friend request. I will do what I can to support you. Best of luck, stay strong. =)
  • smithvigsen
    Options
    You have to start SOMEWHERE, and you should be encouraged by your own experience: "if I've done it once, by damn, I can do it again!" I've been gaining and losing the same vanity pounds for the last 25 years. The losing is never fun, and never easy, but if you want it badly enough, you're going to dig deep and get it done. You will "fail" often, but you can't get down on yourself. Be dedicated. Be patient. You are smart to engage your friends. Best of luck to you!
  • mitziku
    mitziku Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. At 40 I realized I needed to do something about my weight. My mother died when she was 63. I realized that was only 23 years into the future (and the 23 years from age 17-40 went by f-a-s-t so I figured the next round would too). I'm currently down 83lbs because of WLS (I had tried everything before and it was the only thing that has really helped permanently). I still have 50 to go, but would be happy to be a friend on this journey.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can add me- I hate Menopause too!!!! :)
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I turn 4-0 this year as well and start my health journey on Jan 6. I'm determined to be fabulous and 40 and run circles around my kids. Feel free to friend me as well. You got this, girl!
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    What is it about 37? I had the same surgery at that age. And yes, I blamed my hormones for all the weight I gained after it. I'm back on track now, and you can do it to. Motivation is a wonderful thing to have on this very hard journey, so feel free to add me, we can encourage each other! :flowerforyou:
  • mccoysusan21
    Options
    I will be 34 on Sunday; i have always been overweight :( gained 80 pounds while pregnant with my first baby 10 yrs ago had c-sec, pregnant again 6 months later with my 2nd baby again had c-sec; i can not run and play with my kids so i decided i had to do something...August 2011, i started 15/6 low sugar low carb I lost 50 pounds in less than 4 months...in Dec 2011 I got pregnant with my 3rd baby; thought i was doomed; i didnt gain any weight with him at all, was actually down 1 pound the day i delivered, had complete tubal!!! Since having him August of last year I have only lost approx 20 pounds on the same plan i was previously on!!! So i have decided to use myfitness and incorporate calories into my 15/6 plan. Feel free to add me :) I also have a group on facebook about the 15/6 plan if you are interested just let me know.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 then got pregnant and gained 100+... Lost about 20 after baby, but now I am at it again! I understand and wish you the best of luck! We are at different points in our lives, but feel free to add me if you want! I would love to offer support during your journey!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story - I'll add you!
  • Rachzma
    Rachzma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can add me. Always looking for friends. I'm 45 so I have been through the roller coaster. I joined MFP last April, lost a total of 35 pounds, half of my goal. Had to start taking care of sick family member back in September and quit working out. Thankfully, I was able to maintain my weight and not gain anything. Now I'm back, with 23 pounds to go and committed to reaching that goal by the end of summer.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I've been away from MFP for over 6 months, and in that time managed to gain 50 pounds.
    I started back last week and once again in control.
    I've already gone through menopause, and I know it's not easy. Just take it one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time).
    Things do get better, so don't give in.
    Good luck!
  • AprilTram
    AprilTram Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    WOW !!! The supoost is overwhelming on here in just a short time.. I didn't use the message board or have any friends on here while going through this the 1st time around.. With friends and outside support I'm sure to stay on track now.. Thank you all for the replies, I wish every one the best of luck on your journey's as well... :)
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a little older but I can identify with your story. I'm sending you a friend request. :smile:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    After being the fat kid all my life, I lost 70 lb over 8 months when I was 46, and kept it off for 2 years. Then, I got sloppy and thought I was "cured" of my fatness, and slowly gained 50 of that 70 back over the NEXT two years. So, here I am a month away from my 52nd birthday, 1 year post-mense-- huffing and puffing on the elliptical and calorie counting to get back to where I was 6 years ago.

Will I ever learn?!
    Add me as a friend if you like--
  • stapia
    stapia Posts: 3
    Options
    Great job! My kids are now gone (moved out) and this is MY TIME, so I'm trying to lose all the weight I put on for 43 years! I will say I just got the Nuvasure and it's AWESOME, no more periods and no more excuses for ME not to be at the gym so I'm there 4 days a week! WE GOT THIS!
  • Mimiyvonnesmith
    Options
    Hello there. Keep up the good work! Motivation and the right attitude is key. I am on the road to a new me and it is nice to share because it helps us to realize we are not in the boat alone! I'm taking back me! You go girl!!!:happy: