In need of new lunches

Options
Hey all,

I spend a majority of my day either in schools or on the road (neither of which offers much in terms of health food). So, a majority of my lunches need to be quick and easy to eat while still being healthy (obviously). I'm looking for some new ideas, so I can keep my lunches tasty and interesting but sitll stay on track for MFP. I've done light/ healthy versions of chicken salad/egg salad courtesy of The Yummy Life Blog (check it out if you haven't!), but one can only eat chicken/egg salad for so long lol.

Ideas? Basically the only food I will absolutely NOT eat is cucumbers (never liked them)

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All manner of sandwiches/wraps, get high quality bread and meats/cheeses and there are endless possibilities
  • eschoon88
    eschoon88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All manner of sandwiches/wraps, get high quality bread and meats/cheeses and there are endless possibilities

Meats are the difficult part--they have ASTRONOMICAL sodium contents. I suppose I could buy chicken that's been roasted, and get past it that way...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Quinoa salad, with some feta, cheese, mint... It's called tabouli salad. Home made soup in a flask would be a good one too! X
  • bookstitch
    bookstitch Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've started to make quinoa salad or orzo salad. Because it's a healthy grain and then add whatever you want into it. Tomatoes, onions, avocado, beans, peppers, cheese, tuna, turkey, chicken. (you get the idea)
    And you can make a big salad and then have lunch for a few days. I don't like cooking and I like having a go-to meal so making one large salad like that a week is good. I end up adding different meats to it each time then.
    And you can then use the salad as a filling for a wrap. To keep it healthy, you could use lettuce leafs as the wrap instead!
    Another good salad I leave on hand is a bean salad. Use 2-3 cans of different beans and then add whatever else you want. Corn, tomatoes, avocado, some lime juice.
    Hope this helped!
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    An Asian Cabbage Chicken Salad Wrap is yummy and portable. I just add the dressing to the salad and then wrap.

Shredded cabbage
    Sweet red pepper
    Shredded carrots
    Cilantro
    Green Onion
    Shredded Chicken
    Light Asian Dressing
    Flat Out Multi Grain Wrap
  • StarrySkiesYvaine
    StarrySkiesYvaine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to facilities for warming food up?
  • eschoon88
    eschoon88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to facilities for warming food up?

In general, yes. However, If the food is cooked before hand, I don't have a problem eating traditionally hot foods cold (if that makes sense)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Tuna, cannellini, tomato and onion salad - good with a bit of chopped parsley.

And a new-ish favourite of mine is avocado, grated carrot, edamame beans mixed with some tinned salmon, a squeeze of lemon, dahs of soy and a little sesame oil. A sprinkle of sesame seeds makes it look pretty.

What about buying a flask and taking a hearty soup - lentil, minestrone - and a roll.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    MjAxMi1mMDE5ZWVhZDM5NjhkMjQ5.png
  • jennhase
    jennhase Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    if you go to the deli counter they have a sara leigh low sodium turkey that's pretty good, i can't tell the difference and I just get it shaved so then it's not as much meat as having thick slices
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    MjAxMi1mMDE5ZWVhZDM5NjhkMjQ5.png

Unfortunately that really happens, funny as it is. We had a lunch thief @ work years ago. Until one afternoon break the victim told everyone how some moron had eaten the 2 canned cat food sandwiches he had put in the fridge that morning Now that was really funny!:bigsmile:

Seriously,...............Use "Search" for "35 Quik Low-Calorie Lunches" They look good to me though it may take a year to try them all, which I plan to do.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I just had a wrap: Flat Out bread w/ flax, spread with hummus and 1 wedge of light laughing cow swiss cheese, turkey and lots of spinach. I would have added other veggies if I had any on hand. I made it this morning and brought it to work.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do salads for lunch, but I'm weird so I don't mind eating mostly the same thing each day.

I buy 2 heads or red leaf and/or romaine lettuce [whichever is cheaper] and maybe cabbage or green leaf to mix it up.

Then 3-4 colored bell peppers, 1 bunch of celery and anything else you might like [carrots are good, but I usually just eat them whole as snacks]

Then get a big thing of salad dressing, or just make your own. I also will just put a whole avocado in and use that as dressing, or salsa/pico di gallo works great as well.

I'll chop up everything and either store it for the week in a big sealable bowl or a few gallon freezer bags to keep them from wilting throughout the week, then I just throw that into a big 1.5 L tupperware, fill it to the brim and add dressing in the morning, you can also store it separately.

I know what you're thinking: "You can't get ripped eating salad!" So I buy whole chickens when they're on sale [like $0.99/lb] and freeze them. Then take it out to defrost saturday and cook it sunday. I'll take out the gizzards, pull off all the skin, wash it well, pat it dry and throw it in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours on top of some cut lemons and oranges, and some pepper and no/low sodium spices. Come back, take all the meat off the bones and throw it into a tupperware and BAM, salads for the week! The chickens are super easy to debone if you slow cook them, or you can just bake one too but then you have to watch it and preheat and care. Slowcooker you just throw it in, turn it on and walk away.

Prep takes maybe an hour on Sunday [minus the slow cooking time, but you start that in the morning and it's done by the afternoon, plus you don't need to watch it] and then it's just 5 minutes of throwing everything into a sealed container and go! For a bonus keep the bones in a gallon freezer bag and after 4-5 chickens you can make stock at home, which should have enough salt and seasoning from the residual chicken on them. Great for making pasta or anything else later.

I do this every day, cup of chicken and 4ish cups of salad, 2 servings of dressing or an avocado. The meat makes it really filling. If you get bored, buy different veggies or try some fruits.
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Instead of quinoa I've used whole wheat couscous and add vegetables to make a fried "rice" dish - add in sautéed nappa cabbage, carrots, broccoli and edamame. Toss in 2 oz. of rotisserie chicken. A little light Asian salad dressing and it makes a hearty and delicious lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Meats are the difficult part--they have ASTRONOMICAL sodium contents. I suppose I could buy chicken that's been roasted, and get past it that way...

There are lower sodium deli meats ... Boar's Head I believe.

Cook up a bunch of chicken breast (season with Mrs. Dash) , cut it into strips. Great to toss on salad, make chicken salad, or wraps.

Tuna salad .... you can buy reduced sodium tuna also

Make a big batch of soup & freeze it. Soup & salad.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mix tuna and cannelini beans in a food processor with a little olive oil or mayo. Pulse away. Add some herbs and pepper. Cut a bell pepper in half (take out ribs and seeds) and fill with the tuna mixture. Exceptionally good!
  • suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I'll grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery on the weekend, if I don't feel like roasting one myself. For around $6, it saves time, and maybe even money too.

I'll pick the (white) meat from it and if I'm feeling really suzie homemaker-ish, I'll boil the carcass for homemade broth.

I actually enjoy just eating the meat in chunks, but I will also use it for sandwiches or throw it in with a green salad.
  • jrmommy23
    jrmommy23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dodiecoyle
    dodiecoyle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laurabell318
    Options
    sounds yummy gonna have to have to try