May I suggest... You'll lose 20 pounds in a week!

Options

Replies

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Some I've fallen victim to in my high school and college days:
    - Hydroxycut
    - Master Cleanse
    - Special K diet
    - HealthyChoice and LeanCuisine (not a diet on its own but another "easy way out" method)
    - Just, not eating :/
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a long time but I'm finally starting to realise that it's not about losing weight fast, it's about changing yourself into a slim person. Think about it this way:

-Large people:
    * eat too much
    * eat the wrong sorts of things
    * move too little

Slim people:
    * eat the right amount
    * eat the right kinds of things
    * move the right amount

My goal is to stop being in the first category and start being in the second category. How does cayenne and lemon water fit into that? Answer - it doesn't, so it has no place in my "becoming a slim person" plan. It might help you lose 20lbs, but you'd put it right back on again because you hadn't changed your large person habits into slim person habits.

This post gets the gold star award for this thread, yes?
  • dennymau
    dennymau Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, I just don't buy bad things to tempt me to lose control :happy:
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Yeah just pop a few thermogenics and it works miracles - the only drawback is that you feel like you're going to have a heart attack at the ripe old age of 20. Totally worth it, right?!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    People try to give me tips to lose weight all the time, not sure why since I have lost over 100 pounds. I have gotten pretty good at tuning out. Then there are the ones that ask my opinion on the crazy diets or diet pills or whatever, then when I tell them I haven't used or done any of those crazy things, they lose interest. They are looking for a quick fix and don't want to here my you need to change your lifestyle comment. Of course these people still ask if I am on a diet....4 years later.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever tried the Gastric Diet? Don't eat anything before 11 am then make sure it's salad or soup. Then eat whatever you want for supper. Drink plenty of water. Stay away from milk products. Don't eat after 9 pm. I tried it and lost 7 lbs the first week. Then it came to a stand still. It says that you would lose 20% of your body weight within the first 3 months but it didn't happen. I found that just eating healthy and working out is the best way to do it. I've lost 25 lbs and counting!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    may fave of wall was laxatives in each meal!! nice :D
    you can eat what ever you like then.....just make sure you never walk far from the toilet!!
    Pants_zpsb52abe5c.jpg
    Just to be clear...Definetly against laxatives as a diet plan, just quote somebody's reply about advice they had been given to them.
  • mclark1124
    mclark1124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gross! Say no to laxatives as a diet plan. Ew. Slow and steady wins the race. Love shedding in a healthy way, 1-2 lbs / week is reasonable.
  • katmom62
    katmom62 Posts: 1
    Options
    after reading your post & the others....Remember it was the Tortoise who won the race not the Hare! Tortoise steps are even better than baby steps they are slow & steady! Blessings!
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Slim people:
    * eat the right amount
    * move the right amount

Except - that's not always true. If it was, you wouldn't have the much debating phenomenon of "skinny fat" going on. Not everyone who is thin is thin because they are a health guru. My sister and my husband are exceptions to the rules above - she eats everything under the sun and never exercises, she's thin as a rail, he never excercsies but also likely doesn't eat enough, as he often skips breakfast and lunch. I knew friends in college who were on the Lindsay Lohan diet - IE, they were thin because they rarely ate solid food and drank their daily calories, if you get my meaning.

So - while overall thinner people may have better habits, in individual cases, not so much.
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post! Fad diets almost always result in weight gain of what you lost PLUS some as we hold ourselves back so much and then overindulge the second we get a nibble! Sad to see. Plus the money wasted!!!!!!!!!! Unreal. If only more people knew and stopped hurting themselves/holding themselves back.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I knew somone one who lost a lot of weight. It was the Exlax diet. Take a lot of Exlax and eat a candy bar and drink a diet soda a day. Yes, you get stick thin, but you also get really white, translucent skin, and look horrible. Tried to get me to try it! Rather be fat the look like I belong in a grave.
  • JakiDee
    JakiDee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a long time but I'm finally starting to realise that it's not about losing weight fast, it's about changing yourself into a slim person. Think about it this way - large people:
    * eat too much
    * eat the wrong sorts of things
    * move too little
    Slim people:
    * eat the right amount
    * move the right amount
    My goal is to stop being in the first category and start being in the second category. How does cayenne and lemon water fit into that? Answer - it doesn't, so it has no place in my "becoming a slim person" plan. It might help you lose 20lbs, but you'd put it right back on again because you hadn't changed your large person habits into slim person habits.

This is a lot of misinformation. I know PLENTY of people who don't fit this mold on both ends.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Slim people:
    * eat the right amount
    * move the right amount

Except - that's not always true. If it was, you wouldn't have the much debating phenomenon of "skinny fat" going on. Not everyone who is thin is thin because they are a health guru. My sister and my husband are exceptions to the rules above - she eats everything under the sun and never exercises, she's thin as a rail, he never excercsies but also likely doesn't eat enough, as he often skips breakfast and lunch. I knew friends in college who were on the Lindsay Lohan diet - IE, they were thin because they rarely ate solid food and drank their daily calories, if you get my meaning.

So - while overall thinner people may have better habits, in individual cases, not so much.

You are correct, in that it is based on generalities and broad scale studies over individual cases. This is how the wisdom books like Proverbs are also written. But, they result, in general, in success. In general, the person who eats well and moves more will be thinner than a person who does not eat well and is sedentary.
  • lijepa1979
    lijepa1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Slim people:
    * eat the right amount
    * move the right amount

How very true. I eat much better than my husband, and he is super skinny. In fact, he does less than I do for a workout and has lost 10 lbs that he can't really spare. Meanwhile, I eat less than my children and exercise a lot, and it is only coming off slowly.
  • tacobella2013
    Options
    Atkins helped me lose 30 pounds years ago and once I introduced carbs into my diet I gained back 40 and lost a gallbladder....see how well that works :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight SLOWLY. No desire to lose it fast and look like a half-melted candle. Slowly and maybe my skin will shrink back.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This post is so hilarious!
  • Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Things I fell for in my twenties, early thirties and to be honest.... up until last year.

Hydroxycut with and without ephedra
    Xenadrine (heart palpatations out of this world)
    Phentermine( most successful) All the weight came back and then some
    slim fast
    Klenbutrix(sp)
    Trim Spa
    HCG
    Spicy lemonade diet
    No carbs
    Body bi Vi

Still learning about counting calories and what works for my body. It's a process but I will be glad when I can say I did it without any gimmicks (sp).
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I see my weight loss as a scientific experiment.

In 2008-10 it was eating clean and lifting heavy regularly. (got the before and after pic)
    In 2010-12 it was eating at a ~300 calorie/day surplus without exercise or lifting. (got the before and after pic)
    In 2012-14 it is eating whatever I want at a deficit and rarely lifting weights. (got the before pic)
    In 2014-16 it will be eating at a ~300 calorie/day surplus with exercise and lifting.

My weight loss in the last 20 weeks has been 99.56% body fat. Assuming that continues, at 155 pounds I will have ~142 pounds of lean mass and ~8.5% body fat. With a bit of number crunching the only way I can reach my goal weight from that point would be to chop off both arms (~6.5% of total body weight each, ~20 lb loss overnight). Any other suggestions for me at that point are not mathematically sound.