Has anyone tried yoga to lose weight

Options
I am on week two of my diet and yesterday was my first day with MFP. So far im down ten pounds. I'm 40 pounds away from my short term goal and 109 pounds away from my long term. Im currently working out three to four times a week at home since I dont have time to go to the gym. I'm thinking about trying yoga. Have anyone lost weight doing yoga. Also do anyone enjoy doing yoga. Is there a good dvd to recommend?

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The big draw with yoga is that it increases flexibility and brings greater awareness of the link between mind and body, which can make weight loss a lot easier. There are about 50 kajillion different types of yoga out there, and many yoga studios offer free classes to first time students. If you can find these where you live, I strongly suggest trying it out in studio first. It'll be helpful to learn and feel proper alignment with the help of a teacher first.

For DVDs, I have Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti, which has a lot of different choices on it. It's beautifully done without being either too new age or too modern. Rodney Yee also has good, straightforward DVDs with many choices, and he is also beautiful and impressive to watch.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not a personal trainer or anything but, It might be important to keep in mind that yoga doesn't have a very high calorie burn. I think Hatha yoga (pulling up my NRLFW memory here so I"m not sure if that's the right one) has a reasonable one but still not very high on the list. If you are interested in losing weight it might be good to start with some sort of cardio or weight lifting or even better yet combine the two! However, yoga might be a good gentle way to begin exercising! Good luck!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I do DDP Yoga, which isn't "traditional" yoga, but it still has yoga in the name! I gather that it's more strength focused than some yogas. I'm definitely a lot more flexible now. Between that, a better diet, and daily walks/runs, I'm down 49 lbs after twelve weeks.
  • buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I'm new to this whole working out thing and I wanna try as many things as possible
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Just for flexibility and core strength.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Core strength is foundational to caring for your body. Yoga can certainly increase the muscle mass in your body as well. It does not burn calories like cardio unlesss you do a power yoga but from both a physical and mental "wellness" perspective I can't say enough positive things about yoga. They key IMHO is finding a teacher you love who inspires you.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for flexibility and relaxation. The relaxation may help you handle stress better which in theory, should reduce your cortisol levels amoung other things, making it easier to lose weight. It's not a huge calorie burn, but it does help fitness levels by improving flexibility and energy.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm not a personal trainer or anything but, It might be important to keep in mind that yoga doesn't have a very high calorie burn. I think Hatha yoga (pulling up my NRLFW memory here so I"m not sure if that's the right one) has a reasonable one but still not very high on the list. If you are interested in losing weight it might be good to start with some sort of cardio or weight lifting or even better yet combine the two! However, yoga might be a good gentle way to begin exercising! Good luck!

"Hatha" yoga is the term for a practice that focuses on the physical. Many classes use hatha as an umbrella term for a non-specific class, usually slower paced and for beginners, so it would be a good choice for getting a taste of yoga. That or a "Slow flow" class.
  • tkotaka
    tkotaka Posts: 17
    Options
    I LOVE yoga but I would supplement it with some cardio. Like others have said it's more for stretching and strength (think slow burn) as opposed to increased heart rate (faster burn). Yoga is a great compliment to other activities and will help reduce chances of sports injuries. Good luck! sounds like you're already kicking some serious butt!

38190192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • buttercup68110
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's advice. I think I need to find something that can give me a great workout and help me lose the pounds.
  • sienree
    sienree Posts: 1
    Options
    I do hot power yoga and yoga barre at least 3 times a week which is basically yoga in a room heated up to 90-105 degrees. According to some online resources say you can burn up to 400- 1200 in a 60 minute class depending on your body type and how hard you work. I personally like hot yoga way better than regular yoga, it gives you more of a work out I think.
    I've been doing this for 2 months and have definitely noticed a huge change in my body. My arms are firmer, my joints and back are less stiff, I'm way more flexible, my core is activated, my legs are tighter, and I love it!
    However was told by an instructor that if I wanted to see maximum results, it would be a good idea to put in at least 20 minutes of cardio 3- 4 times a week as well. Cardio will help burn the outer layer fat so the toned muscles underneath from yoga can show through.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    can anyone recommend a Youtube yoga workout - beginner level? Not JM yoga meltdown. I have searched on YT and there are A LOT so would appreciate if anyone can recommend one that they have done and found it easy to follow with good instruction ! cheers
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do hot power yoga and yoga barre at least 3 times a week which is basically yoga in a room heated up to 90-105 degrees. According to some online resources say you can burn up to 400- 1200 in a 60 minute class depending on your body type and how hard you work. I personally like hot yoga way better than regular yoga, it gives you more of a work out I think.
    I've been doing this for 2 months and have definitely noticed a huge change in my body. My arms are firmer, my joints and back are less stiff, I'm way more flexible, my core is activated, my legs are tighter, and I love it!
    However was told by an instructor that if I wanted to see maximum results, it would be a good idea to put in at least 20 minutes of cardio 3- 4 times a week as well. Cardio will help burn the outer layer fat so the toned muscles underneath from yoga can show through.

I do hot yoga too, and although I don't know my exact calorie burn, after the standing series my HR is usually in the 110-120 range. I get a great burn, and there is a lot of strength work in the class. I lost 100 pounds and the only exercise I was doing was hot yoga. Now after having a second baby I am back at it and have added CrossFit.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options

"Hatha" yoga is the term for a practice that focuses on the physical. Many classes use hatha as an umbrella term for a non-specific class, usually slower paced and for beginners, so it would be a good choice for getting a taste of yoga. That or a "Slow flow" class.

Thanks for that correction. :) It's been a while since my yoga days and I can't seem to remember the name of the style I was referring too.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do 20-40mins of yoga 4 evenings a week to relax and to stretch my muscles after cardio and weights... I've found it incredible as a supplement and I'm definitely more flexible.xx
  • buttercup68110
    Options
    I live in Nebraska and I dont think they offer this. It sounds great though. It would be great to do this since I do have alot of back pain from having my daughter. For some reason after I had my epidermal I still had back pain. My daughter is now one and I still get this back pain. So I might try out yoga one day a week
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga about 3 or 4 times a week for the past couple months and have noticed a considerable difference. I go to a donation-based studio (which is how I can afford it) and practice vinyasa flow or power yoga. I also use the elliptical about 3 times a week and try to go on daily walks. I have lost 23 pounds so far! Like everyone else has said, definitely do yoga along with some cardio and it will definitely help you lose the weight. It is also great therapy. :)

I have never used these, but I am interested to: http://www.yogadownload.com/

I like JM yoga meltdown, too. You can find the first level on youtube.

Good luck!
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    I go to my first Yoga class tonight at the local Y --- I'm not sure how much actual yoga is involved and am presuming it's more of a stretch and de-stress class since we're in the heart of the bible-belt Midwest. I am not physically able to do much cardio training at this point, but I know increasing the mind-body connection and becoming more flexible will help with my overall health efforts.
    I choose to think of it that I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm working to live healthier.

My primary concern as a 5'4" 190lb woman is, what on earth am I supposed to wear to a yoga class?

My size 4 daughter would tell me "yoga pants", but I'm concerned that I will look like a candidate for People of Walmart if I'm not careful.

Will sweatpants and a comfy t-shirt work?
    Will I need shoes or is it a barefoot activity?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I go to my first Yoga class tonight at the local Y --- I'm not sure how much actual yoga is involved and am presuming it's more of a stretch and de-stress class since we're in the heart of the bible-belt Midwest. I am not physically able to do much cardio training at this point, but I know increasing the mind-body connection and becoming more flexible will help with my overall health efforts.
    I choose to think of it that I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm working to live healthier.

My primary concern as a 5'4" 190lb woman is, what on earth am I supposed to wear to a yoga class?

My size 4 daughter would tell me "yoga pants", but I'm concerned that I will look like a candidate for People of Walmart if I'm not careful.

Will sweatpants and a comfy t-shirt work?
    Will I need shoes or is it a barefoot activity?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lyby,
    Hello. Sweatpants are totally fine - you need pants that allow you to move about freely. For your top, you want to make sure that it is fitted somewhat. If you are inverted (or even in a basic "down dog" position) a loose shirt will bag around your shoulders and get in your way (and expose your stomach). Hope that helps.
    Have fun!

Edit to add: also barefoot, no socks (you'll slip!)
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    [/quote]

Lyby,
    Hello. Sweatpants are totally fine - you need pants that allow you to move about freely. For your top, you want to make sure that it is fitted somewhat. If you are inverted (or even in a basic "down dog" position) a loose shirt will bag around your shoulders and get in your way (and expose your stomach). Hope that helps.
    Have fun!

Edit to add: also barefoot, no socks (you'll slip!)
    [/quote]
    Thanks!
    I have an excuse for a pedicure --- I can't reach my toes very well and they need a little help that I can now justify :)