How often do you cheat on your diet?

Options

Replies

• austinmclark
    austinmclark Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Having one cheat day is going to make you want to have more. Don't cheat ever if you can handle it. If you want that brownie, factor it into your calories. That piece of cake? It too. If you want even more flexibility, exercise more.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating. I eat what I want and make it fit my macros for the day.

I do however take a break and eat at maintenance every couple of months to give my body a break.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I never have. But then I'm not on a diet at all. I've never had a cheat day, mainly because I'm the only one that I would be cheating. If I want something I either know I can have it because I worked out for it or I'll go without. If anything is going to take me over my limit then I'm not going to have it.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I never go over on my calories, but one day a week I'll have a 'cheat' meal that I just fix into my week by eating less and working out more other days - usually its red lobsters loster bisque and 3 of those darn delicious bisquits! Its an 800+ calorie meal!! But its my favorite thing on earth.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat"- anything I eat I track - if I want to eat something I do as long as I can fit it into my calories for the day.

THIS....and most of the time I'm under my calories etc for the day, so on the rare occasion I do go a bit over (like today), I'm fine with it.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat around maintenance for 6 days out of the week, then cheat to my heart's content on the the other day ;-) I've been at my goal weight for a LOOOOONG time doing this, and have never had any issues. BUT, I work my booty off with heavy lifting, HIIT, and running.

I think it all depends on the individual? I need that one day a week to let loose, but some may find it hard to get back on track afterwards.
  • malena43
    malena43 Posts: 31
    Options
    Never. No need. IIFYM.

Hey Girl!!!

You have to tell me how did you make the cotton candy ice cream :)
    tell me the secret :)
    I am nuts about ice cream!!
    I want to make some at home, low calorie
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I never "cheat". I can eat anything I want whenever I want. Sometimes I eat food that does not align with my goals. Try not to look at it as "what can I get away with and still lose weight". Maybe focus on creating health in your life. Just a thought.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Never, because I don't have a "diet" to cheat on. If on a given day/meal I go crazy, I make up for it after with exercise or having a lighter meal/snack the next time I eat if I'm not exercising to make up for it.

Ideally, I see the occasion to do what others would view as cheating and have already put the time in at the gym and maybe had a lighter breakfast/unch/dinner/snack to balance everything out.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Never! I eat what I want, when I want, and log it, always trying to stay within my calories and macros. If I go way over, I add another workout and eat less later in the day. I try and look at this as a lifestyle rather than a diet.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    When I need to.

If I go out with friends and want a glass of wine, I have one. One.
    I was at a banquet a few weeks ago and the pre-plated dessert was this chocolate lava cake type thing. I had a bite. One.
    I was volunteering at a charity event last week and someone offered me some buttered popcorn. I took a small handful. One.

The key is moderation.

I just keep thinking that once I lose the weight I'll be able to have two classes of wine or half the cake and it will still fit into my lifestyle now and then.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Never. No need. IIFYM.

Hey Girl!!!

You have to tell me how did you make the cotton candy ice cream :)
    tell me the secret :)
    I am nuts about ice cream!!
    I want to make some at home, low calorie
    Almond milk and splenda + whatever flavor you want to add. PB2 is what I normally use but yesterday I got those Duncan Hines flavor creation packets to make other flavors. I wasn't a huge fan of the cotton candy but my boyfriend liked it.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have a "cheat" meal today, so that averages out to about one every six weeks. My standard meals tend to taste good, so I don't feel compelled to cheat. Today, I'm going "out" for the day/evening/night so I figure "why not?"
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    As I'm not married to my diet, I don't have to "cheat" on it....Oh, wait, I'm not on a diet.....:bigsmile:
    It's a lifestyle - I have enough calories that I can have a nice meal without counting and a few glasses of red wine once a week, and I have something yummy everyday......
    If something comes up (wedding, birthday or whatever) I eat sensible and enjoy it.....

So much this.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have one day every other week. I don't get crazy about it but I don't feel guilty about it either. It's a day (usually Friday or Saturday) where I can go to a party and eat what the hosts have to offer or go out to eat and enjoy a nice steak, a few drinks and maybe a dessert. I follow my calorie goal and workout routine pretty closely so it is nice to have a day where I don't think about going over. And I do log all the stuff that I splurged on in my diary because I don't like blank entries. Really, it's up to you and your conscience about how many days you want to have a cheat day...dealers choice.
  • kayygreat
    kayygreat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Usually on the weekends when Im out with friends. I try to bring my kunch and eat at home during the week.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating, because I'm not on a diet. I'm trying to maintain a healthy way of living/eating. I'm losing weight as a byproduct because I was overweight. I work out fairly strenuously 4 days a week. My calorie intake goal is 1500-1800. I stay within that probably more than 90% of the time. Sometimes a few high, sometimes a few low. I do it eating what I want, when I want it. I always do 2 things. I count what I eat, and I count it honestly. As long as I stay within my caloric goal range, I naturally tend towards healthier choices more often than not, because I prefer small meals and snacks to large meals. If I eat a larger, higher calorie meal I either plan it in the day ahead of time, or adjust my intake after. I also think through whether a craving will pass or if I need to feed it.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" maybe once every 2 weeks. Usually when im sick or injured or in any way unwell. I cheat, but I never cheat past 1800 calories. Well not so far.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't ever cheat, because I'm not on a diet. :)
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat either, I just eat something if I want to and count it in my macros. If we're going out to dinner I will allow enough cals for a nice big meal. If your mindset is such that you feel restricted you're going to fall off the wagon big time every so often!