3 Day Diet/Military Diet

Options
I overheard my coworkers talking about this diet earlier this morning. One was excitedly telling the other about this diet where you can lose 40 lbs in one month and the other was saying "Ooh sign me up".

As I listened to them talk about eating a hot dog and vanilla ice cream and food combinations to burn fat I interrupted and asked "Hey are you talking about that 3 day military diet?" My coworker answered "Yeah! Have you heard of it?" I replied "Yes, and it's very dangerous".

I then proceeded to tell them why it was dangerous, that the diet had its users going from 800-1,000 calories a day and that an extremely short, thin woman shouldn't go under 1,200 calories, that the average for a healthy woman is anywhere from 2,000 to 2,500. I told them about the side effects (headaches, irritability, fatigue, light-headedness, and possibly more serious ones like passing out), as well as the weight being lost being water weight and that it will be gained back as soon as they return to their regular eating habits.

My coworker said she was still going to try it!

I know it's none of my business what other adults do, but I cannot in good conscious listen to people I genuinely care about discussing doing potentially dangerous things to their bodies.

Ugh!

Replies

• Fit4Life1029
    Options
    I am sad to admit I did try this as well. But for ONLY the 3 days because all the side effects you described I had. Despite all that, I only lost 4 lbs.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    They'll learn the hard way. I don't even bother anymore. I just nod my head and smile and say good luck.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    and why is it called the "military diet?"

ETA : I'm assuming it's called this because in basic we really didn't eat that much (or were given time to eat...I recall having 45 seconds to a minute for lunch LOL)....and then PT our a$$es off..
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Any diet thats only 3 days MUST WORK!

2012-02-16_free_candies_seems_legit.jpg
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    People want to believe in the magic cure so badly. :frown:
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    -_- just do it don't post, getting sick of sheep posting (does this diet work?) seriously a diet is not a maintainable lifestyle and thus your likely not to continue with it
  • k8wizzo
    k8wizzo Posts: 33
    Options

ETA : I'm assuming it's called this because in basic we really didn't eat that much (or were given time to eat...I recall having 45 seconds to a minute for lunch LOL)....and then PT our a$$es off..

It's also been called a number of other names--Mayo Clinic diet, Hershey Med Center diet, etc, though none of those places have ever endorsed it. Put a hospital, cardiology center, or other official-sounding (military) name on something and people think it must be healthy and it must really work.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    -_- just do it don't post, getting sick of sheep posting (does this diet work?) seriously a diet is not a maintainable lifestyle and thus your likely not to continue with it

I appreciate your advice but did you even read the post?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I restrict my fitness and nutrition conversation to MFP only.

If I was to deal with some of these fad diets and myths in real life . . . I'd more than likely hurt somebody.
  • HHackney
    HHackney Posts: 9
    Options
    I have a cousin in medical school who has chosen to be injected with urine in order to lose weight....there is no end to what I believe people will do to avoid simply changing their eating habits and becoming more active. I'm at the "smile and wave" point now.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Errr..I feel you on this BUT....that wasn't what the OP was saying..lol.

Edited to add the below gif because this post reminds me of this:

1264494557Funny-Animation-Pictures-3.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    OP, you should have asked, 'So...what happens on Day 4 and on?" See their eyes glaze over. If you are lucky, you'll get a stutter and you'll have giggle material for the rest of the day.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Fail.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    This is exactly why I restrict my fitness and nutrition conversation to MFP only.

If I was to deal with some of these fad diets and myths in real life . . . I'd more than likely hurt somebody.

Sign me up! Oh wait what? Wrong topic!!!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My 300 pound husband was doing this diet and trying to convince me to do it too. This is the dumbest thing I have heard of. Low on calories and NOT nutritionally complete.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

I appreciate your advice but did you even read the post?

I doubt he did. Wow. Major fail

Honestly, people are so desperate that they don't care anymore and they probably don't understand fully. They just want ice cream and hot dogs.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    WAIT!!!! You mean these diets don't last forever? Looks like it's hard work for everyone, they will figure it out eventually.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Terrible to say that I actually tried this too but for only 3 days and I felt HORRIBLE all 3 days. I actually only made it halfway through day 2 before I caved and started eating normally again. I would not recom. this to anyone.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Probably supposed to give it some authority. I've seen guys do some crazy things to make weight, but that's not one of them.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Because the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was a sailor, and he could only last 3 days on this diet.
    300px-Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg