GAINING weight, please help.

Options
2»

Replies

• garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% eating less and 20% exercise.

Set a calorie target and try to stay within it for couple of weeks. If you still gain weight, reduce your target. If you lose weight, you know you are doing something right and continue. Very important to log all your calories, with the right meal portions.

Eat more protein and fats and less carbs to get that feeling of eating right.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    With what your diary looks like, you're either not logging every calorie you consume, or you're eating too much for what your exercise expenditure is.

With days that go from 700 to 1700, my bet is the first. Log and weigh everything, and be mindful of the fact that a lot of the entries in MFP are not verified, they could be wild *kitten* guesses, and they could differ in their calorie content based on how you prepared it, or how the restaurant prepared it if you ate out.

Bottom line is you can't out work a *kitten* diet. No amount of running can get your body to burn off your stored fat when your blood is filled with glucose from your last meal.

We have to eat less than we need, and exercise to keep our metabolism up.
  • MamaCass30
    MamaCass30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

uhhhhhhh.gif

Building muscle too fast?
    Starvation mode?
    Not pooing enough?

I just died laughing at my desk! I LOVE Castle! Thanks for this!!! LOL :laugh:
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, eating out and eating food other folks prepare can make it very tricky. It is just difficult to estimate the actual calories in food if you don't know exactly how it was made. One burger made one way may come out to be 200 calories or 1200 calories. Even a pizza made with light vs. full mozzarella can make a big difference. I would say that it was just that the food was miscalculated.

I would recommend also trying to cook all your own meals for a week, measuring carefully, and then see the results.

Hope it helps.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Are you strength training? If so, increase your reps & lower the weight. You may be building muscle too fast. Make sure you're not starving yourself. Workouts take a lot of calories so make sure you replenish some of them, otherwise your body may be going into starvation mode and hanging onto the fat. The next point is a little awkward but very important. Make sure you are getting enough fiber & water in your diet. Not pooing enough or drinking enough water will make it harder to lose weight. If you are "backed up", try drinking hot green tea with peppermint. It's great for your digestion, just don't drink it every day.

BWrO7Ur.gif

^^^^^LOL Agree!!!!!!!!! :noway:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Are you strength training? If so, increase your reps & lower the weight. You may be building muscle too fast. Make sure you're not starving yourself. Workouts take a lot of calories so make sure you replenish some of them, otherwise your body may be going into starvation mode and hanging onto the fat. The next point is a little awkward but very important. Make sure you are getting enough fiber & water in your diet. Not pooing enough or drinking enough water will make it harder to lose weight. If you are "backed up", try drinking hot green tea with peppermint. It's great for your digestion, just don't drink it every day.

uhhhhhhh.gif

Building muscle too fast?
    Starvation mode?
    Not pooing enough?

Oh god I love Nathan Fillion!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your diary still isn't open.

I'm going to go with underestimating your calories as well. If you open your diary though we might be able to point out possible sources of inaccuracies. Make sure you use a scale, not just measuring cups. Include everything. Find the database entries with no asterisk whenever possible because those are the entries that are most accurate. If you're going to have an omelet, instead of finding "omelet" in the database, you log "2 whole egg raw, 100 grams cheddar cheese, 50 grams portabella mushrooms, 1 tsp oil" etc.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    well, with just this month alone, i'm seeing a bit of a yo-yo. that isn't bad, per se. i would agree that you'll want to try to log every day, to have a more consistent record. i also noticed more days that you were WAY under your suggested defecit than over. please try to eat more, at least something like a salad or piece of fruit.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Let me make a couple of suggestions.

If it passes your lips it goes in your food diary. More importantly is that it be reasonably accurate in your estimate. That may mean you have to measure some stuff so that you incorporate in your mind what a "serving size" really is. As I discovered that "big bowl" of ice cream is not a serving size...it is 3-5 servings. That little dessert dish that can only hold half a cup of liquid, thats a serving of ice cream.

You can get all the way down to weighing food (I do now, more out of curiosity for maintenance than for weight loss. All of my weight loss was done without weighing portions, just estimating from serving sizes described on packages).

We tend to focus on food and food intake, so let me suggest another tactic...a minimum period of time (per day and per week) for exercise. And I mena working up a sweat and getting the heartrate going type of exercise. A heartrate monitor is good for both strength training where it is hard to estimate energy output from strength training and from some other exercises. For example, the rule of thumb of 100 calories per mile for walking at a relatively brisk pace is not going to be that far off unless you are climbing long steep grades or walking with a weighted pack.

Your heartrate, if you set the monitor up correctly, is a good surrogate for that.

My own experience is that for most walking my energy output per mile is about 20-30% less than the 100 calories/mile. That probably was not true when I first started a few years ago. But my cardiovascular efficiency has improved so much that my resting heartrate is now in the range of 54-58 bpm. And when I am walking with my heartrate monitor on a rate of less than 125 bpm is pretty common. Step up the pace to a little over 4.1 miles per hour and I can get it into the 135-140 range. It takes jogging/running to get into the 150's-160's.

I ran a road race a few weeks ago at an average 155 bpm with an approximate 10:50/mile pace (I say approximate because I stopped for a period of time as well as walked/ran on the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC to take some incredible pictures. Once I cleared the towers and some of the more impressive shots on the bridge, I returned to running all the way to the end of the race).

But when I throw a pack on my back with 30-40 pounds and go trekking up and down hills I can get my heartrate up into th 140 range. And hiking in the steeper foothills and mountains I can get my heartrate back into the 150-160 range. Without that heartrate data, ac ouple of my programs would badly underestimate the output. A couple slightly over estimate the backpacking but not by very much (surprisingly).

You can weigh yourself daily for a couple of months to see what kind of weight pattern you are displaying (variability) but that migt alos drive you crazy. Sometimes it is just easy to weigh once per week (so time, same place, same scale, same clothing (or none at all as I do). Finally, measure yourself. Chest, waist, hips, upper thighs, calves, upper arms and neck no more frequently than once every two weeks and probably best to be about once per month. I pick the last Sunday morning of each month. A half-inch here, a half-inch there doesn't seem like much but it adds up and it may confirm clothes lossening up even if you are not loosing weight.

I did not drop any weight during 2011 (at 190) and yet my waist size dropped by 4 inches and my chest size dropped by at least 2 AND I wasn't logging my food intake (yet). But I was logging my activity level so that I maintained some target activity level throughout each week of the year.

It isn't a race but you will get there if you really choose it for yourself and don't let yourself "off the hook."
  • tierre1
    tierre1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    be sure to log everything you're eating. Be careful with carbs and sugar intake. Drink lots of water and exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    OP, when you are calorie counting for weight loss, you have to be consistent...you have to log every day and you absolutely should be weighing and measuring out your portions/servings, etc. To lose 1 Lb per week, you have to maintain a deficit of 500 calories per day...sound like a lot, but it's not...it's a couple handfuls of nuts.

What I'm trying to say is that if you aren't being consistent with your logging and if you don't practice proper portion control (i.e. weighing and measuring) then you're allowing calorie creep to run rampant in your diet. You most likely haven't gained any real fat...body weight fluctuates a good 3-5 Lbs on a daily basis naturally. Most likely you are just maintaining.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn how I, too, can build muscle too fast.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    In...

It takes dedication, and a massive amount of andro roids..
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    In...

It takes dedication, and a massive amount of andro roids..

This ^^^^ is the information I have been searching for. I guess my time here can now come to an end...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Did you breasfeed, and if so are you weaning now or has the production slowed?
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are 2,500 calories in a pound of muscle.
    I'm guessing you're not adding two calories per pound of lean bodyweight to your calorie intake......So it is not because a person gains muscle to fast.

Actually, it's 3500 calories =) It is true that muscle burns more calories, but overall weight loss is calories in versus calories out.

OP I agree with some of the comments here: be sure you are logging EVERY THING that passes your lips. Do that for a week or so, being honest with yourself in your logging, and you may find the problem was that simple. Good luck! Stick with it!
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a personal trainer since January, I have a friend who also goes to the same personal trainer and in her first month she actually gained 6 lbs BUT lost inches... Make sure you take measurements because you may be losing fat and gaining muscle and it might take a while for the scale to reflect any loss but you will likely see it in measurements! Good luck!
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    your so right!!! Sorry bout that!!
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with people weighing themselves to track their "weight loss" what everyone is TRYING to do is lose BODY FAT. You need to keep your lean mass in order to continue to lose body fat.

If you are losing just WEIGHT this also could be lean muscle mass. The more lean muscle mass that you lose the harder it will be down the line to lose fat because you took away your bodies ability to burn the fat.

You should measure yourself.

.........my bad with the calorie mistake on this thread that I posted earlier and was called out on! Thanks!