Lunch time

Options
Hi all,

I'm interested to know what other people have for lunch at work etc. I have been trying to limit my carbs to just dinner time as before I was having a sandwich or pasta dish at lunch and then pasta or rice again at dinner.. I am struggling to think of things to take for lunch that don't involve carbs but that will give me enough energy to get through the day and go to the gym after work too.. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I take a biggish tupperware of pre-washed baby greens and top it with my protien of choice (usually leftover chicken, salmon, beef or a couple of hard-boiled eggs) and tasty dressing. However, if carbs are what keep you from feeling hungry, don't restrict too much. I usually add in some carbs for good measure to my afternoon snack and dinner, although I've gotten away from a high-carb diet. I'm always under on MFP, but I don't think I'd call it "low".
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, I usually grill different kinds of meat with enough leftovers for lunch, add some veges with it. If you have time to cook over the weekends or at night..I use low carb crock pot recipes. Cottage cheese..little fruit, I go to Trader Joes and buy their premade salads when I know I won't have a lot of time during my work week. Hope that helps.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my carbs. I focus on the cals, then protein, then fat, then carbs.

I usually have leftovers, a sandwich, wrap, soup, salad, chicken w/ rice or veggies or pasta, yogurt and fruit, etc.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Something high in protein and relatively low in carbs. It must also be delicious.

Today, it was 7 oz. of smoked pork loin with garlic mashed potatoes.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I take a biggish tupperware of pre-washed baby greens and top it with my protien of choice (usually leftover chicken, salmon, beef or a couple of hard-boiled eggs) and tasty dressing. However, if carbs are what keep you from feeling hungry, don't restrict too much. I usually add in some carbs for good measure to my afternoon snack and dinner, although I've gotten away from a high-carb diet. I'm always under on MFP, but I don't think I'd call it "low".

This is an amazing idea, thank you for sharing.
    I have one question though. Do you store this somewhere cool like a fridge during the morning or anytime before you eat, because I'm still at school and there are no facilities for leaving food in a cool place (other than the school locker, which is not ideal, as you can imagine) I have always wanted to break out of the sandwich routine my mother got me into in year seven but I've never been sure what was practically a good idea, given my situation ?
  • Laurabell318
    Options
    Today was: 2 Boca Chicken Patty... Really good. With 1 Tomatoe sliced, Lettuce leaves x 2 and my weakness real mayo... I hate the fake stuff. with 1/2 cup of beets cut up. Yummo

The beets you ask?? I am a nurse and went to a stroke conference on Friday and found out that it is PROVEN!! how good beets are for you. Pretty cool information they gave... out of a whole day of that conference that is what I took away from it LOL

BTW I officially started fitnesspal today
  • DaringAdventure
    DaringAdventure Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually keep all my like bread or rice to my morning and/or lunch meal. I usually don't have a grain carb at dinner since it will be bedtime soon after and I will not perform any "carb burning" activity. Today for lunch I had a homemade tuna salad with light mayo on live butter lettuce and 1/2 a cup of mashed sweet potatoes. Tomorrow I will have 4 oz of chicken with 1/2 a cup of sweet potatoes and steamed green beans. Planning is key.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    In response:
    Maybe I should refridgerate more, but it's cool enough in my office, I usually don't as I often eat lunch fairly early. However, those blue ice packs are usually all you'd really need. Alternately, a frozen water bottle (make sure to leave room in the bottle for expansion before you put it in the freezer, overnight is enough) thaws out enough for excellent ice water at lunch and keeps food cold. This requires some prep, but once you've got your system and routine, it's super easy. The baby greens alre sold in a big tub at Sam's Club, my husband and I go through one every week or so, it's just so easy.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    In response:
    Maybe I should refridgerate more, but it's cool enough in my office, I usually don't as I often eat lunch fairly early. However, those blue ice packs are usually all you'd really need. Alternately, a frozen water bottle (make sure to leave room in the bottle for expansion before you put it in the freezer, overnight is enough) thaws out enough for excellent ice water at lunch and keeps food cold. This requires some prep, but once you've got your system and routine, it's super easy. The baby greens alre sold in a big tub at Sam's Club, my husband and I go through one every week or so, it's just so easy.

I had genuinely never thought of the frozen water thing, that's amazing :) thank you so much