Yoga Meltdown....how many calories burned???

Options
Hi all,

i have been doing Jillian Michaels Yoga meltdown for a while now and love it! But I really don't agree with the calories burned that I log it as, MFP says for yoga it is only 100 or so cals for me and I think I'm working just as hard at it as other dvds I do. How does anyone else log it?? Please help!!

Replies

• ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I log it as power yoga.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I log it in as 150 calories. I am 5'4" and 112 lbs. Go to sparkpeople.com and do "power yoga" as an exercise and see what it comes up with.
  • melly28
    melly28 Posts: 26
    Options
    I log it as power yoga.

I don't see it in the database. I don't have a hrm so I rely on the database to help log things.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    When I did it a few months ago, while wearing my heart rate moniter it said 123 calories. I was pretty bummed that it wasn't more, especially since it definitely wasn't an easy workout. (I'm 5'3 and was 135 pounds at the time)
  • sarathemace
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and generally weigh anywhere between 110 and 115. I've been an athlete my whole life but was out for almost a year with a foot injury (broken bones, torn arch, etc.) and a few months ago I started easing myself back into gym life using fitness DVD's as I knew they would be relatively low-impact, body weight training exercises as opposed to the weights I would normally lift at the gym. I've been trying like hell to regain weight and muscle tone so I of course went with yoga as I was already somewhat familiar with the practice. I had been logging it as "yoga" in MFP and it said I was burning about 100 calories. I usually ignored it, thought it to be more like 200. Finally got a heart rate monitor. 434 calories for both workouts in a row, without the stretch at the end of the first. (And my cardio is better than most as I'm a former kickboxer). Moral of the book: don't starve yourself or you won't gain any muscle which you NEED in order to consistently burn more calories. MFP is so inaccurate at determining calories burned per each individual. Keep in mind, I do this DVD at 100% intensity and I do the advanced poses (save the plank toe lock...yikes!)
  • mboyle305
    Options
    I consider i aerobics. It definitely burns more calories than regular yoga.