I hate being the fattest person at the gym.

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal considering maybe they took those classes to lose weight and they did. I did old lady kickboxing classes for a while and I was the only guy there. I may have been the most muscularly defined person in that room, but never felt out of place because everyone was SUPER nice and the fact I am ill coordinated put me in my place. It's why I do group classes. I'd like to train my brain to better with coordination and balance.
  • I know just how you feel. HOWEVER...others do not see you as being as big as you see yourself. PROMISE!!!
    This! And at least you are there working on it - tell those voices in your head to stfu! ;)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Im the fattest person in my house. But not at the gym.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Many fit people were once fat. Just remember that. You are going to the gym. That's a big step. Just keep it up.

Oh, and keep it in mind when you reach your goals, look amazing, and you see a large person in the gym struggling.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I promise you that the majority or people are looking at you with respect, admiration and pride. Whenever I see a larger person at the gym, I am thinking nothing but positive thoughts.

Besides, it won't be long before you no longer stand out in that way. Hold your head up, lovely. You're inspiring people.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to the gym?
  • lilhoneybees
    Options
    Wow! I would have never thought that I would get all these responses. Thank you all for your kind words. I just came from the gym and feeling good. I can tell you all that I will not stop because of my insecurities. I just put that out there because that is how I feel. I actually laugh at myself. Especially when I take the classes. In some of them I look like I am taking a totally different class from the rest of the people in it. lol I do not stop though. I laugh at myself and keep going. I love to dance and tried the Zumba. All I could say is wow. I loved it but I must have thrown a few people off their game. I just bought Hip Hop Abs to do at home when I have extra time. I thank you for welcoming me on here. I also have to say to the people who post things without reading the comments that is another form of being lazy. Lazy in the mind is also not a good thing. Take the time to read the whole post not just the topics.
  • lilhoneybees
    Options
    Trying to answer everyone. Not sure how to do it individually.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There's always a beginning. Other people in the class were once beginners too whether just beginning or needed to lose weight. Keep going and soon you will be the motivation for the newbie. At least you are going!!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I bet the "hot chick" in front of you wasn't always hot. Everyone starts somewhere. If the person behind you doesn't like it, he/she can move elsewhere. Do what you gotta do. Stick with it and one day, you'll BE the hot chick.
  • MsLadytray
    MsLadytray Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just remember everyone at the gym didn't start out fit. Also just because you're thin it does not men you are fit. I took a spin class with a friend and I was more energetic than she was and i'm much bigger than her. When we left she told me how she was trying to keep up with me. I hit a zone and was hanging with the best of them hold your head up and keep going back you'll be happy you did
  • lilhoneybees
    Options
    would you rather be the fatest person alone on the couch crying into a tub of ice cream??

trust me, i've seen some heavy people at my gym. you know what i do? i throw them the gym nod. you know, the nod that says "hey, good work, keep it up. i'll see you tomorrow."

yeah, a lot can be said in a nod.

I just wanted to tell you I got a nod today! It was from one of the people I have been seeing there a lot. I thought of your post and had to say something to you. I just thought it was funny. :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think there is a whole lot of good advice on this thread. I hope that I am continuing the trend. When people are judging you it's not really about you. It really is more about them. Someone thinking you don't belong at the gym would IMO be insane. They on one hand think that you shouldn't be overweight but on the other don't think you should employ the tools to get healthier, see that's insane. I am sure people do notice you, but unless they actually truthfully tell you what they are thinking it's nearly impossible to know that they are having any kind of negative thought. So, my advice is don't let what you think other people are thinking be your problem and don't let what other people think even if you know what it is be your problem.

I hope this didn't come off as harsh. But, I have been there done that and given up many times because I worried too much about what other people think,
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    When I see a fit person at the gym, I think "Good for them!"

When I see a fat person at the gym, I think "Good for them!"

Just about everyone else thinks that, too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    would you rather be the fatest person alone on the couch crying into a tub of ice cream??

trust me, i've seen some heavy people at my gym. you know what i do? i throw them the gym nod. you know, the nod that says "hey, good work, keep it up. i'll see you tomorrow."

yeah, a lot can be said in a nod.

I just wanted to tell you I got a nod today! It was from one of the people I have been seeing there a lot. I thought of your post and had to say something to you. I just thought it was funny. :)

This is excellent.
  • InstantKarma24
    InstantKarma24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ^This! There's no better feeling than having people begin to recognize you at your gym... And when the staff starts knowing your name automatically... wonderful
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I purposely stand at the front to make myself work harder! I can't stand the feeling of being watched but I need to get my confidence back so I zone in on the trainer and work my a** off, literally!!

:happy:
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    (this was posted in the forums a while ago - seemed appropriate to resurrect it)

Hey Fat Girl

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

Wow!! I love this so much. It's true, it's exactly how I feel. I am kind of in the middle of the road. When I started this "journey," I wasn't too overweight, but I felt really, really out of shape. I felt self-conscious in the gym next to the girls who could run for an entire hour. I was so intimidated by them. But I kept going back. And it has been SO, SO worth it.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    After putting on a lot of weight it was so tough to go to the pool, but that's exactly where I needed to be. So I swallowed my pride and went, and kept going, and although I have a long way to go, I'm on my way. Hang in there.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used to be the fattest ......... 12 months ago.