gound beef

Options
dawnj87
dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
anyone have any recipes for lean ground beef or ground turkey? I have a lot in my freezer and don't want to throw it out. I already have spaghetti recipes and taco bake but looking for something more creative and different. Thanks everyone :smile:

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I love this ~ made it last week and my whole family loved it. I'm making it again this week, I honestly could eat it every day ;)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/turkey-stuffed-peppers-45-pts.html

Oh and I steam the peppers before stuffing/baking in a big pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes ~ makes them nice and tender!
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hi,

you can stuff vege like zukinis, tomato, bell pepper, eggplant with a stuffing made of ground beef/turkey plus the inside of these vege, oignon, 1 egg and some bread wet in milk.
    You cut each vege in 2 in the length, stuff them, cover with low fat mozza and bake 45min 1 hour in the oven !

Enjoy your meal :)
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh and I discovered the meat bread when I arrived in Canada ! Delicious and so convenient to take away for lunch !
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just came on this board to share my ground turkey/beef burger! Maybe people already know this one, but omg it's so good.

So what I do because I cook for one is...
    1/2 lb ground meat (I used turkey tonight and it was delicioussss)
    1/4 cup shredded cheese
    1 T lipton onion soup mix, or generic (I eyeballed this,so basically to taste)
    2T water

Mash it all up and pan fry it as a burger! It was so juicy and delicious. I want more right now. I've done it with beef too.
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
  • horticulturist
    horticulturist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make some mini meat loaves in muffin tins. Since the meat is already frozen at this point, experiment with one package...a pound or so. There are tons of recipes out there. I never use bread, as I find uncooked old fashioned oat meal (or whatever you have on hand, the minute type works fine) is a great binder. I use Egg Land egg whites all the time, but you can use whole eggs. I also lightly saute all kinds of vegetables to bulk it up and make it really healthy. I don't think there is a veggie you can't use. I routinely add onion, peppers, mushrooms and summer squash, but whatever you have. Just par-cook it, cool it down and thow it in. Then the spices, again check some recipes, but anything goes: Worcestershire, mustard, ketchup, italian seasoning, anything savory...just go for it. Then bake them in muffin tins, weighing the meat weight so you can figure the calorie/food numbers. Meatloaf is a meal, a sandwich, refried with egg whites or in an omlette for breakfast. Meatloaf is a dieter's friend because you can make it very, very healthfully. think protein! Good luck!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I always recommend this to people who are looking for something to do with ground beef:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-beef-picadillo-256268

It's a good basic recipe, and easy to change up a bit for variety. I often will add greens, especially kale, or other vegetables, or add other flavorings, like chipotles in adobo sauce. Usually when I make it, the calorie count turns out to be lower than that listed on the above site. Without the quinoa added (last time I made it to serve with some leftover brown rice, so I left out the quinoa, but added kale), 1 serving (1/6th of the recipe, 220g) was 276 calories.

ETA: Aww, someone already recommended picadillo :sad:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Big mac casserole!
  • jramirez72
    Options
    We make something I like to call loosely "Texas Hash". It has a "Mexican flair" to it. Ingredients are simple; ground beef, lettuce/tomatoes, onion (optional), taco seasoning mix, cooked rice (optional), shredded cheddar cheese.

First, brown your ground beef and onions(optional). You drain the fat. Then, put in the taco seasoning mix and water. When fully heated, lower heat. If you are having rice (I prefer brown rice), get this ready while browning the ground beef. When finished, put the rice on the plates and ladle the browned, taco spiced ground beef over it. Put the lettuce/tomatoes around the beef and rice. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.

My kids loved this dish! So easy to make and good too! As a family, we went over to turkey ground for a healthier option and tastes just as good. . I am now trying Morningstar crumbles as a substitute since it's low in calories.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Made this new recipe and it was really good. You can use either ground beef or turkey. Enjoy. ~

Healthy Harvest Chili

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 kg extra lean ground beef or turkey
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (15oz) can black beans, undrained ( I rinsed them to cut down on sodium)
    1 (15oz) can pinto beans, undrained ( same as above)
    1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (11oz) can whole kernel corn , undrained ( rinsed)
    1 package dry ranch dressing mix
    1 package taco seasoning

1. Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Heat onion, stirring occasionaly until browned,
    8 to 9 minutes.
    2. Add beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
    3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook , stirring
    occasionaly, until liquid thickens, 20 minutes.

Total: cal=2,460 carb=75 fat=120 protein=223 sugar=21 fibre=11
    Per Serving: cal=246 carb=8 fat=12 protein= 22 sugar=2 fibre=1
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for lean cabbage rolls! yum!
  • Heres2Victory
    Heres2Victory Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good idea - steaming the peppers before baking. I like stuffed peppers and my family gives me the nah when I mention them. Maybe i'll get a yah if a fork can cut through the pepper :)
  • otai1
    otai1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I suggest making a ground turkey and ground beef meatloaf. Instead of breadcrumbs, substitute with oatmeal. It's tasty and with onions, garlic, parsley and some red pepper flakes, it satisfies the whole family! Serve with roasted sweet potatoes and some steamed greens. I sometimes sautee mushrooms and top it with that. My husband asks for it :-)
  • Jerry863
    Jerry863 Posts: 22
    Options
    Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie

Ingredients
    1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
    1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs

Directions

1. heat oven to 400 deg.
    2. brown meat then drain
    3. spray 9 inch glass pie pan with cooking spray
    4. place meat in glass pie pan
    5. in a small bowl mix remaining ingredients with fork or whisk until blended, pour into pan
    6. bake for about 25 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    great ideas
  • connielouivey
    Options
    yum!
  • connielouivey
    Options