HRM readings are lowering

Options
So, as the title suggests, my HRM readings are lowering. It started doing this a few days ago after making no changes to it, but has been consistently kept me in the 100's cals burned with a HR between 118 -126 when I've seen higher numbers before. For example, today I did a cardio workout for 30 minutes that last time I burned 215 and today it was137. I have had others drop more dramatically. I haven't lost a large amount of weight. I'm still in the 200's. I'm not sure if it's me or I need to tweak something on my HRM. It's a Polar F11 with V02 and the Ownzone program (which I turned off last night to see if it would make any difference today. It didn't). So now I wonder if those sweat-fests were as really calorie burning or not.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of problems with the first chest strap with my Polar FT7 and one problem was that it seemed not to count all the beats, and then just got stupid and would show my heart rate as 80 through a whole workout. Do you have the kind that has a separate snap-on plastic piece that goes onto a plastic panel in the strap or that has it all built in? I now have the second type and it's behaving much better. Two things help. Keep it tight (the clasp where you can tighten it or loosen it will let some of the band through a little at a time so you have to watch that) and use a gel on the part that touches your chest. I use one called "Buh-Bump". Unfortunately I can get it only by mail so I end up paying a shipping charge.
  • angiedew
    angiedew Posts: 5
    Options
    What is your perceived rate of exertion? Are you anaerobic ever during your workouts? (Out of breath, unable to sustain for more than a few minutes). If you know you are working hard, and your HRM is not showing an elevated heart rate while doing so (85% or more of your maximum heart rate), then something is going on with your HRM (low battery or clean and tighten your strap). And remember, as your cardio improves, you will have to work harder on the machines to raise your heart rate, increasing the incline or resistance or speed. For example: if you are able to read a magazine for 30 minutes while on the eliptical, I'd say 137 calories burned for that session is reasonable.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and bought some gel that was suggested with it. For me the gel was a problem with getting a good heart rate reading so I stopped using it. So now I use just a little bit of water and usually am fine. Check the watch periodically to make sure it does not lose the heart beat. If it does try manipulating the strap. Good luck!:smile:
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of problems with the first chest strap with my Polar FT7 and one problem was that it seemed not to count all the beats, and then just got stupid and would show my heart rate as 80 through a whole workout. Do you have the kind that has a separate snap-on plastic piece that goes onto a plastic panel in the strap or that has it all built in? I now have the second type and it's behaving much better. Two things help. Keep it tight (the clasp where you can tighten it or loosen it will let some of the band through a little at a time so you have to watch that) and use a gel on the part that touches your chest. I use one called "Buh-Bump". Unfortunately I can get it only by mail so I end up paying a shipping charge.

I'm using one with the cloth strap and the hard plastic snap in the front. It suggested tightening it and I did. I just checked out the gel, it doesn't look to expensive. I'll look around at some some local athletic stores to see if they carry it. Thank you!
  • cheerupbrighteyes
    cheerupbrighteyes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    a battery change on the transmitter seemed to help my issues with strange heart rates. Of course, mine was either not detecting a heart rate or reading it in the 230s haha.
  • hilldiggity
    Options
    What is your perceived rate of exertion? Are you anaerobic ever during your workouts? (Out of breath, unable to sustain for more than a few minutes). If you know you are working hard, and your HRM is not showing an elevated heart rate while doing so (85% or more of your maximum heart rate), then something is going on with your HRM (low battery or clean and tighten your strap). And remember, as your cardio improves, you will have to work harder on the machines to raise your heart rate, increasing the incline or resistance or speed. For example: if you are able to read a magazine for 30 minutes while on the eliptical, I'd say 137 calories burned for that session is reasonable.

Uummm I don't know my perceived rate of exertion. *hangs head* I'm never out of breath and usually the summary of my heart rate totals are like 118 - 135, for example. But my breathing can get very heavy, but I could still talk. Unfortunately I only have videos to work from at the moment and all I can really do is make the movements bigger. But this is an overnight change which is why it's suspicious to me. I have new batteries in it (about a month old), a tightened strap, and a spic n' span (does anyone even say that anymore? lol) HRM overall. Thank you!
  • hilldiggity
    Options
    a battery change on the transmitter seemed to help my issues with strange heart rates. Of course, mine was either not detecting a heart rate or reading it in the 230s haha.
    [/quote

I think you'd be in the back of an ambulance at 230! lol