Weight Watchers vs. MFP

Options
Hi there! I have used WW in the past and have found success, but lately I've been bored by the meetings and I find myself going there just to weigh in and leave. I thought that I would try MFP and see if I had any success. Anyone in the same situation? I'm looking for suggestions or a comparison to WW. Thanks!

Replies

• chriswhudson
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories BURNED to lose 1lb. for example:
    if you ate 2800 cal a day x7days = 19600 calories consumed a week
    if you burned 3200 cal a day x 7days = 22,400 calories burned a week
    22,400 -19600=2,800 net burned for the week it's not quite a lb lost but it's .8 lost

How do you know what you burn a day? look up BMR and enter your body data. I know all the pills and stuff the world promotes sound great, none of them work, they only increase the amounts of calories burned a day by small amounts and supress your appetite, but if you don't know your basic calorie intake or your basic burn a day, nothing can help you manage the outcome. I explain this to say that I have lost 45lbs in 6 months and I work out roughly twice a week, but walk 3 miles 3 days a week in the summer............hope this helps.................
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    you'd probably want someone more experienced with WW to vouch for me, but i think MFP is a better way of monitoring your health in terms of wanting to immerse yourself in a healthy lifestyle that's all your own.

with weight watchers, they tell you heavily on what to eat, what not to eat, what you should eat, what you shouldn't. and while that's true (to a certain extent) with MFP, it's still a lot more freedom that comes with MFP - you're allowed to make your own choices and that gives it more of a realistic long term setting.

besides!! it's annoying have to look up every food in the weight watchers database.
    MFP has, in my opinion, a more ranged variety and just better support overall.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I find MFP much easier than WW points, and I also got bored with the number of people who used the meetings as free group therapy. But I do have to admit that getting up and weighing in front of people (even when it's just the leader who sees your weight) was somewhat motivating--but ultimately not worth the membership cost.

No reason you can't follow the WW plan if it works for you, though.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    MFP is free. ;^)
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I reached goal TWICE with Weight Watchers over the years and even have a GOLD card. Very embarrassing to find myself in the same position again. I loved the meetings, but it was dependent on the leader. When the leader I loved left and we got a new one I didn't relate to, I also got bored and quit going. And points were just too confusing, even after all the times I went.

I like MFP better now because I am immediately accountable every day. and I need that accountability.
  • bren998
    bren998 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MFP is free. ;^)

This.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I only did weight watchers online and that was 10 years ago, but I think MFP is easier to keep track of what I eat. Also, I get more ideas for exercising than I did with WW.
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've found that I take all the things I learned in WW such as portion control, weighing and measuring, eating back exercise calories and eating what you but in moderation, but now I use MFP to track calories instead of WW to track points. I feel like WW gave me a foundation for healthy eating (whether I'm counting points or calories, it's easier to stay within my daily goals eating fruits and vegetables instead of cookies and cake), but I don't need the points system or the WW weigh in to keep tracking and losing. You can find plenty of people on here to keep you accountable. I had done online WW in the past, so I found it to be a pretty seamless transition. Just traded one tracking mechanism for another. The only caution is that MFP will likely set your daily calories too low, I wasn't eating enough my first month with MFP.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    MFP is free. ;^)

This.

Best reason, right there.
    I have never done WW, so I only know here, it is good.
  • carolsfas
    Options
    Hi, I too have done WW for years and have some great success but lately, last 5 years have steadily gained weight. Menopause is killing me! I just signed on to MFP and am really excited about all the numbers though worried about the aggressive calories/day. Good luck with your journey. CF
  • nancympp
    nancympp Posts: 1
    Options
    I love MFP for a number reasons. Doing WW only a couple of times, I am not an expert. However, I hate how WW stresses eating their foods and buying low fat or not fat, which sometimes equates to artificial ingredients! MFP gives you the freedom to eat what you want. It is also very helpful to see the breakdown of foods corresponding to the sugars, sodium, fats... I love MFP!
  • tggreen35
    Options
    I have been on Weight Watchers on and off for over 15 years. It works if you stick to it, just like most programs. However, after using myfitnesspal along with synching to my fitbit I have to say I am much less stressed out about staying on track. I feel like I have more freedom and for some reason do not feel so deprived. And as many others have said it's free and I don't have to worry about feeling guilty if I don't make it to a meeting. Easy just to weigh in here at home.
  • eweedon
    eweedon Posts: 3
    Options
    I have done WW a few times and been successful every time, I think it is a good organization, however I am a complete convert to MFP! Obviously is is FREE!!! but I also just find it much more flexible and the food list is so much more extensive than WW.

My other personal reason to favor MFP is that I have a Fitbit too and that automatically links into my MFP account which is awesome! Just makes the whole thing easier and a bit more fun that WW, it is very motivating to work towards more steps every day.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have done WW a few times and been successful every time, I think it is a good organization, however I am a complete convert to MFP! Obviously is is FREE!!! but I also just find it much more flexible and the food list is so much more extensive than WW.

My other personal reason to favor MFP is that I have a Fitbit too and that automatically links into my MFP account which is awesome! Just makes the whole thing easier and a bit more fun that WW, it is very motivating to work towards more steps every day.

Do you like your fitbit?

I'm assuming WW and MFP are kinda the same?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    MFP is free. ;^)

And you can come here whenever, and as much as you want.
  • mrty953
    mrty953 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am currently doing weight watchers on line and also doing MFP too. I keep track of my weight watchers points and I keep track of my calories and compare what I have tracked. I know weight watchers does not count the calories in fruit and vegetables but I feel that they should count . I started weight watchers in Feb and have lost 27 lbs and I discovered Mfp in the middle of March and have lost 13 lbs since joining MFP . I think they are both very good programs and will continue to track both.
  • mrty953
    mrty953 Posts: 26
    Options
    I realize MFP is free but at this time I feel both programs our helping me so I will do both. If it is working that's what counts, Good luck all
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit but I don't sync it to mfp, I did at first but I prefer just seeing the amount of steps I take and the ease of use. Also very durable ( went through washer and dryer twice in one week and still works lol)
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you were someone who was mainly motivated by the WW weekly weigh-ins, know that there are many groups who do weight loss challenges and have their own weekly weigh-in contests for 8 -12 weeks. Instead of paying each week to attend meetings, you can win money for losing! :) Good luck with MFP--I think you'll find that you learn to be more accountable for what you eat when you're looking at real caloric numbers not just points, which will ultimately help you in the long term when you finally hit that wonderous maintanance mode!!
  • movu101779
    Options
    My mom is on WW and I am here at MFP. I think MFP is a lot easier. She came home with this packet. I support her and what she wants to do. I, however, feel this is MUCH easier. I track my food, my exercise and the big plus is I don't have to pay to be a member.. Plus I have found some good friends. I have only been on here for 10+ days but I love it.