Snack Recipes?

Options
Hi,

Does anyone have any low fat and low calorie snack recipes that are cheap and simple to make?

I'm a student so I live on a pretty tight budget!

Smoothies? Homemade crisps? etc

I'm literally clueless when it comes to this!

Thanks

Replies

• Montarosa456
    Options
    Here's some ideas..
    Kale Crisps are v simple (One T/s Olive Oil - dash of salt and bake for 10-15mins)
    Sugar Free Jelly (I add frozen berries)
    Almonds + Dried Fruit
    Carrot Sticks and Hummus
    Hope that helps :)
  • jessie627
    Options
    slimfast bars they help my husband loose 14.4 pounds so far
  • jessie627
    Options
    try slimfast bars they help my husband loos 14.4 pounds so far
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! It helps alot!
  • kjmenser
    kjmenser Posts: 30
    Options
    Google the "Kelly Mac snack" from the biggest loser.
  • AnneEngland1958
    Options
    Melba toasts - you can get them at Tesco and ASDA (you're in the UK, right?) and even a pack of six is only about 80 calories. ASDA do a sun-dried tomato and basil version. Nice with hummus or soft cheese.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Kale chips, If you have access to a stove, you can buy fresh Kale in the produce department of your local grocery. Wash it, remove the steams, make the leaves about the size of a chip, drizzle with EVO and sea salt, place on baking rack on a cookie sheet, Bake at 375 for about 20 min, or until crispy. Cheap very healthy and surprisingly very tasty.
  • kjmenser
    kjmenser Posts: 30
    Options
    Try checking out other peoples diaries and also try the Shopwell app. i love this app!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Forget recipes and go with fresh fruits/veggies or nuts. Easier to do! :smile:
  • ash_mason
    ash_mason Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This one is more of a dessert, but so good! I think someone on MFP posted this, not really sure where I saw it: on a plate, slice a banana down the middle put mini chocolate chips on it (2 grams is perfect and really low in calories), microwave for about 20 seconds, then spread 1 T of PB and enjoy!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you have a toaster oven, you can make your own pita chips. Just toss a pita pocket in there and once it starts getting toasted, take it out. When it cools down a bit, you should be able to brake it into crunchy bite-size pieces. Then you can dip them in some hummus.

If you have a food processor, you can make your own. Our favorite is the roasted red pepper version.

Here's a recipe I tweaked:

*** roasted red pepper hummus ***
    chick peas 28oz/800 ml (NO liquid)
    1 cup dried peppers (baked in oven @ 400 for 10 min then broiled for 5
    garlic 3-4 cloves crushed
    tahini 1 TBSP
    juice of 2 lemons
    olive oil 1 1/2 TBsp
    basil 1/4 tsp
    cumin 3/4 tsp
    salt to taste - BIT AT A TIME

Just throw it all in the processor and mix until smooth. Transfer hummus to small bowl, cover and chill until you are ready to serve.
  • nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also experiment with eating bigger meals and snacking less.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. I think it's better to eat either 5 smaller meals a day, or 3 meals with 2 or 3 small snacks.

I do agree with the person who mentioned veggies and nuts. Some green or red bell pepper strips with a little bit of light Ranch for dipping is very tasty.

I often have 14g of cashews (half a serving) and a single serve cup of organic unsweetened applesauce for a snack. Satisfies both sweet and salty cravings. I drink water with it.

A mozzarella string cheese is also satisfying, regular or light.

Bananas are nice and filling.
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat some hard-boiled eggs n veggies or more meat, depends if i want meaty or sweet