What am I doing wrong?

Options
Two years ago I successfully lost weight here using everything that mfp has to offer. I followed my calorie count, ate my exercise calories and was feeling really good.
Then I hit a plateau that did not want to end despite upping my calories, lowering my calories, eating exercise calories, not eating exercise calories. The whole bit.

Today I am more frustrated than ever! My weight has slowly been creeping back on despite my best efforts of eating anywhere from 1200- 1800 calories and nothing is happening. Well, something is, but not in a good way. These last two weeks I have been eating at 1200 calories and eating some of my exercise calories. And I am up another 4 lbs this week!!!

What to do? Please help. I am desperate. I even went out and bought the Bodymedia, which is fantastic. And according to it I have been eating at a 750 calorie deficit but still nothing.

I am so frustrated I am ready to just give up, but I know that I am worth it.

I am 45 years old
5'9"

I have no dietary restrictions although I have tried everything... Paleo, Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, etc.

Thank you for any insight any of you may have.

Thank you,
Christina

Replies

• bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    I feel your pain; I had my RMR professionally tested (1340, exactly what MFP says it should be) and have been netting UNDER my RMR and am still gaining weight, most of it fat. It's driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    Have you looked at what your TDEE is? Try eating 20% less your TDEE
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That exact scenario happened to me and is quite normal after losing significant weight and eating at a deficit for a long time. I would recommend doing what I am doing right now to bust through and begin losing again. I have 3 weeks to go of eating at maintenance level for 2 months. (My TDEE, which is 2250). No deficit for now. Then I will eat at a modest deficit again for while and then cycle back to maintenance. I've been eating maintenance level calories for 5-6 weeks and have not gained a thing. From what I've read, that's the most successful way to keep losing. Take a "dieting break" for 2-3 months and then eat at a deficit again. (Goal of 1/2 lb. per week). This has worked for many people and stayed tuned to see how it works for me. It sure is better than beating my head against the wall, eating at a deficit forever and nothing happening. Also, I'm working on building muscle to help my metabolism and fat burning ability while eating these extra calories. Good luck!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That exact scenario happened to me and is quite normal after losing significant weight and eating at a deficit for a long time. I would recommend doing what I am doing right now to bust through and begin losing again. I have 3 weeks to go of eating at maintenance level for 2 months. (My TDEE, which is 2250). No deficit for now. Then I will eat at a modest deficit again for while and then cycle back to maintenance. I've been eating maintenance level calories for 5-6 weeks and have not gained a thing. From what I've read, that's the most successful way to keep losing. Take a "dieting break" for 2-3 months and then eat at a deficit again. (Goal of 1/2 lb. per week). This has worked for many people and stayed tuned to see how it works for me. It sure is better than beating my head against the wall, eating at a deficit forever and nothing happening. Also, I'm working on building muscle to help my metabolism and fat burning ability while eating these extra calories. Good luck!

This seems like a good way to go. I have had my struggles like the OP has had. I have to agree with you about building muscle. Thanks for this reply!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Excellent advice !!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I successfully lost weight here using everything that mfp has to offer. I followed my calorie count, ate my exercise calories and was feeling really good.
    Then I hit a plateau that did not want to end despite upping my calories, lowering my calories, eating exercise calories, not eating exercise calories. The whole bit.

Today I am more frustrated than ever! My weight has slowly been creeping back on despite my best efforts of eating anywhere from 1200- 1800 calories and nothing is happening. Well, something is, but not in a good way. These last two weeks I have been eating at 1200 calories and eating some of my exercise calories. And I am up another 4 lbs this week!!!

What to do? Please help. I am desperate. I even went out and bought the Bodymedia, which is fantastic. And according to it I have been eating at a 750 calorie deficit but still nothing.

I am so frustrated I am ready to just give up, but I know that I am worth it.

I am 45 years old
    5'9"

I have no dietary restrictions although I have tried everything... Paleo, Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, etc.

Thank you for any insight any of you may have.

Thank you,
    Christina
    Read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew the "rules", but every day I question my nutrition knowledge. I just got back from Europe so I was eating full fat milk, cheese and cream as well as tons of fatty pastries and charcuterie. Since we were walking every day as well as riding bikes I actually LOST two lbs. The weight loss made me realize how sedetary my desk job is and how important it is for me to make time for the gym every day!
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to eat at maintenance for the next month and seriously up my exercise again. Fingers crossed that this will be the solution to get me back into the losing game.
  • bigdgeek
    Options

That's just it, I have no idea what it is. Various calculators have it differing by 500 calories with the same inputs.
  • isacon
    isacon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another thought....have you had your blood checked? I have dealt with the same issue you are having right now. With my age, family history, etc. I thought perhaps I was having hormone issues. Took me two years and three doctors to get my thyroid where it should be. Also my vitamin D levels were incredibly low. Took a year to get that level somewhat normal. I have lost 20 pounds without doing anything different and 20 more pounds using this website and exercise.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options

That's just it, I have no idea what it is. Various calculators have it differing by 500 calories with the same inputs.
    I was over whelmed by the numbers..but really they are not usually too far apart..example if TDEE is 2300 and the other calculator say TDEE is 2150 then I set it at 2200...if one says BMR is 1450 and other says BMR is 1600 then I set it at 1500.,,then -20%..anything below those TDEE`s will be a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • bigdgeek
    Options

I was over whelmed by the numbers..but really they are not usually too far apart..example if TDEE is 2300 and the other calculator say TDEE is 2150 then I set it at 2200...if one says BMR is 1450 and other says BMR is 1600 then I set it at 1500.,,then -20%..anything below those TDEE`s will be a deficit and you will lose weight.

I'm netting under my RMR and gaining.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I also had a similar situation. It turned out to be a thyroid problem. That got corrected and now I am losing weight easier than ever. No harm in getting your thyroid checked.
  • cindybpitts
    Options

Eating under your RMR can cause you to gain weight. Your body burns RMR calories if you done nothing but sleep all day..so you need more calories. I learned this the hard way. I ate extremely low for years..it worked for awhile but now Im Insulin Resistant because of doing that. Now my body is against me all the time. I wish someone had of told me years ago to eat more!
  • bigdgeek
    Options

Eating under your RMR can cause you to gain weight. Your body burns RMR calories if you done nothing but sleep all day..so you need more calories. I learned this the hard way. I ate extremely low for years..it worked for awhile but now Im Insulin Resistant because of doing that. Now my body is against me all the time. I wish someone had of told me years ago to eat more!

I just have no idea what to do and I keep getting bounced around with different vague advice and referred to various websites and calculators which have only confused me more. I need someone to give it to me straight and pretend I don't know a THING about any of this.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    It may not be anything you are doing wrong. I would have labs drawn and have your thyroid checked as well as your hormones. I am 46 and had no idea until I had blood work done, but I am in full-blown menopause. This will have an impact on your ability to lose weight. I would be surprised if you didn't find the answer by labs.
  • cindybpitts
    Options

I just have no idea what to do and I keep getting bounced around with different vague advice and referred to various websites and calculators which have only confused me more. I need someone to give it to me straight and pretend I don't know a THING about any of this.
    When you up your calories or make a change, do you do it for 2,3,4 weeks? It takes 3 or 4 weeks sometimes to see a difference. Have you talked to your doctor? Blood test done? I was very confused too. I just keep reading other peoples post & I have learned alot. Believe me it has been slow. Its been 5 months & I have only lost 9 lbs. Actually I have stopped losing again. This wiil be week #3 with no weight loss. Frustrating but dont give up.
  • bigdgeek
    Options

When you up your calories or make a change, do you do it for 2,3,4 weeks? It takes 3 or 4 weeks sometimes to see a difference. Have you talked to your doctor? Blood test done? I was very confused too. I just keep reading other peoples post & I have learned alot. Believe me it has been slow. Its been 5 months & I have only lost 9 lbs. Actually I have stopped losing again. This wiil be week #3 with no weight loss. Frustrating but dont give up.

I haven't upped my calories because I'm afraid of what will happen when I do, and I don't know by how much to up them anyway.

I had my RMR professionally tested, it's 1340...same as my BMR on here with my activity level set to 'sedentary.' I log everything that passes my lips and I work out 5 days a week...I don't just do steady state cardio, I lift weights too.

Blood work is normal; thyroid is on the low end of normal but not low enough to treat. Nothing wrong with me as far as the doc can tell. He accused me of lying about my food intake.
  • cindybpitts
    Options

I haven't upped my calories because I'm afraid of what will happen when I do, and I don't know by how much to up them anyway.

I had my RMR professionally tested, it's 1340...same as my BMR on here with my activity level set to 'sedentary.' I log everything that passes my lips and I work out 5 days a week...I don't just do steady state cardio, I lift weights too.

Blood work is normal; thyroid is on the low end of normal but not low enough to treat. Nothing wrong with me as far as the doc can tell. He accused me of lying about my food intake.
    I would do 2 weeks of 1600. That would still be below your TDEE so you would be safe without gaining. You are not eating enough 1340 and if you eat below that. Maybe you could be Insulin Resistant too. Try 1500/1600 for 2 or 3 weeks..
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    This is simple and it tells you how to set up your calories and it's short...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975707-fat-loss-tactics-guide

That refers me to yet another calculator with vague, unhelpful 'activity levels' that don't match my own activity level. I never know which one to pick. If I go for 'moderately active', which is exercising 4 days a week when I actually work out five days a week, my TDEE x .8 is 1660. I don't eat anywhere near that much.

Online TDEE calculators suck. I want a device that I can wear all day long that tells me how many calories I'm burning.