Zero to 5K - Looking for Input

Has anyone ever done Prevention's Zero to 5K Plan? (http://www.prevention.com/zero-5k-countdown)

I'm thinking about starting this tomorrow with plans to run a 5K in the fall. I'm totally new to exercise, so not sure how good of a plan this would be.

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    I say go for it just take it slow
    and remember if you can still slow it down some more you are going to fast
    :bigsmile:
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    I'm going for it!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Also look at Couch to 5k (C25k)
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Note. If its really your first time running, you can do each "stage" or week, or workout, as often as you want or need to. Let yourself get a feel from it. Just because the program "says" you need to go to the next level, don't worry about it.

Take those small steps and make it work for you.
  • ForMyAngelBaby

Note. If its really your first time running, you can do each "stage" or week, or workout, as often as you want or need to. Let yourself get a feel from it. Just because the program "says" you need to go to the next level, don't worry about it.

I looked at this one as well and I'm so sedentary right now that the idea of running right off the bat scares me
  • flexdirectcpr
    flexdirectcpr Posts: 103 Member
    I just started running in March when I stopped smoking. I could barely run a minute without stopping in the beginning. I ran my first 5k this past Saturday at 252 pounds. I am just a beginner and no expert, but you can add me. I am in love with running and look forward to exercise now. Keep a log of your progress from the beginning. I wish I had started doing that from day one. I have only recently started tracking it on my blog. And buy good shoes. It was almost painful shelling out over $100 for running shoes, but I bought them because I thought I needed good equipment so I would not hurt myself. Those Brooks trainers have kept me injury free so far, and I run 1-2.5 miles a day now. Good luck to you! If I can do it, anyone can.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member

I looked at this one as well and I'm so sedentary right now that the idea of running right off the bat scares me

Don't let it scare you... I started couch to 5k when I started MFP at 245lbs, I couldn't even run the minute without needing CPR (haha kidding of course) but it sucked. Now I can run close to 10K... never thought I would or could do it, but I did.. so I have faith in you. Just listen to your body and take your time, you will get there if you keep to it.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member

You don't have to flat out run. Even jogging will do.

If that doesn't work, consider getting a pedometer and see how many steps you get in your standard day. Calculate an estimated weekly total.

Then from there increase it every week as you feel more comfortable to get up to 7,000 to 10,000 steps a day. Once this is more comfortable ease in the first couple weeks of the running programs.
  • catbare
    catbare Posts: 3 Member
    You should be successful with any plan that starts you out slowly and gradually increases your time and/or distance. I was a run/walker for 11 years and completed a couple marathons, several half marathons, and countless 5 and 10K's. I worked with a trainer (with a cross-country background) who put me on a plan similar to the Couch-to-5K program last September (2012) and I was able to jog 2 miles straight by December. I'm currently up to 7.5 miles.

My one tip would be to get fitted for running shoes at a reputable running shoe store. Let them find the right model for your feet/gait. Not critical if you are starting tomorrow, but would definitely try for the second or third week as you increase time/distance. A well-fitting shoe does wonders for preventing injury. Shoes can be pricey, so once I find a shoe I like, I try to find a better price online for the same model. Also, some stores provide a small discount if you are running for a charity event.

Good luck and happy trails!
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Has anyone ever done Prevention's Zero to 5K Plan? (http://www.prevention.com/zero-5k-countdown)

I'm thinking about starting this tomorrow with plans to run a 5K in the fall. I'm totally new to exercise, so not sure how good of a plan this would be.

1. Get fitted with good running shoes ASAP
    2. stretch before you do your first 5 minutes of warm up
    3. have fun doing it! :-)
  • ForMyAngelBaby

My one tip would be to get fitted for running shoes at a reputable running shoe store. Let them find the right model for your feet/gait. Not critical if you are starting tomorrow, but would definitely try for the second or third week as you increase time/distance. A well-fitting shoe does wonders for preventing injury. Shoes can be pricey, so once I find a shoe I like, I try to find a better price online for the same model. Also, some stores provide a small discount if you are running for a charity event.

Good luck and happy trails!

Do you have any suggestions of stores where I can get fitted for running shoes?
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Do you have any suggestions of stores where I can get fitted for running shoes?
    [/quote]

Not sure where you live, but we have Fleet Feet and I know they have multiple locations. They helped me with my first pair of good running shoes and really addressed my aches and pains as I progressed. Good luck. Making the decision to try it is worth it. I just started the couch to 5K and am on week 2 and thought for sure I was gonna die last night. I was pretty sedentary myself but I'm also thinking that i'm getting a good bang for my time.

http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/locations
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    I am doing c25k also and I love it. The first week they have you run for no more than 90 seconds its not that bad. I injured my knee in the marines so I am just now getting back into running after 13 years.

I would suggest you get new running shoes also but you really don't need expensive professionally fitted running shoes to start. By the time you get to a 5k you might want to be fitted but it isn't. necessary Back in the day I was a runner anywhere from 5-9 miles a day and I just bought my sneakers at a local shoe store. Just make sure they are good running shoes.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 272 Member

I started C25K when I was still up toward 300lbs and having not done anything which could be described as running for about 30 years and I'm not going to say it wasn't a bit difficult at first but I took it slow, stuck with it and got it done and hit the 5k by the end of the 9 weeks. You can do it, just conquer your fear and just run as much as you can each workout, if it isn't as much as the plan wants for that day then do what you can and repeat that day until you meet the target and move on. Good luck.