Today, I discovered I'm bad at running

I've been trying to back to losing weight on my own for a while now. I finally got fed up today and tried Day 1, Week 1 of a C25k program. I got through the first two running sessions before my sides cramped. I tried the 3rd one, but had to quit after about 30sec. I did finish the full 30+ minutes, just at a "brisk walk"...I believe I averaged about 16.5 min when I was done. Still...not feeling great about my start. I've never been good at running. I have a bad knee to boot, but for once it wasn't what bothered me.

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    My advice is to keep going. you will progress, but be careful of your knee. If your sides start hurting, take deep breaths in and exhale completely, that always helps me.

I tried C25K once and quit. Now I wish I didn't...
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Yay for starting! It gets better every day. There are several running posts here, keep it up and you will be completing your first 5k before you know it!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    No Matter How Slow you Run, You’re Still Lapping Everyone On The Couch.

Remember this every time you go out for a run. As a matter of fact you should probably have it put on a T-shirt. If you aren't bold enough to wear it when you feel like you are still slow going or bad at running you can make it a goal T-shirt to wear when you feel you are doing better, as inspiration for other runners.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    You are not a bad runner and good for you for starting. You really don't have to progress to the next run every time. If you repeat a run you will still progress, and I won't tell anyone promise! :)
  • tnozzy
    tnozzy Posts: 52
    Well done on giving it ago. I have a treadmill so I walk on that every second day and I do 5kms. Then the others days I do the wii. I only joined up today so I am new at this.42887507.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Dont be discouraged!!! i started my weightloss journey on mfp in august 2011. I had a foot operation so could only walk for max of 20min at a time. In dec last year after losing alot of weight i decided to get a personal trainer.First thing he did was make me run on the treadmill!! i laughed at him telling him i DONT run! i nearly passed out doing 2 min at 7.5mph on the treadmill!! now only 4 moths later i have completed 3 NSV's...1- 16km (10 mile ) nonstop walk/run ,2- 8 km nonstop run at 5.2mph(outdoors) and 3- 3.3km run at 10mph !!! 20min nonstop! so it can be done and will get easier just slowly does it :) Good luck!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I did a C25K program last year. The first few weeks were brutal, but I stuck with it, and went from barely being able to jog for 60 seconds to being able to jog an entire 5K. Not fast, but I did it. I quit over the winter (never did get the hang of running on a treadmill) but am ready to get going with it again now that the snow is finally melting.

I see somebody posted "No Matter How Slow you Run, You’re Still Lapping Everyone On The Couch." I have that as the desktop background on my computer, and it got me out moving many times last summer when I wanted to give up. Stick with it!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Just keep at it! I hate running (and i played soccer!). Your form will get better and you have to start somewhere. I love what the post above said about lapping anyone on a couch! I always feel like I sound like an elephant on a treadmill but who cares! It is all about feeling and looking good and hitting those goals.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    I'm going to start off by saying RUNNING IS EFFING HARD!

Back in February, I decided I was going to sign up for a 5k run this summer (an ad for which is staring at me right this moment - haha). Now, back then I was in the exact same position you are in, running for more than a couple minutes left me completely winded. I have bad knees (because of being overweight and because of injuries) I would get side cramps, or cramps in my legs.
    I've never been a strong runner.

That being said, last week I did 3.5 km in 30 minutes, which isn't super fast, but it is amazing for me, and I jogged the entire time!

Keep with the C25K program, it is hard, but you will see progress!
    You don't have to go fast, but keep going.
    Also, my friend who has been helping me along this journey, always tells me, even if you're going slow, try to move your feet like you're jogging, even if you're going at a walking speed, it helps!
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Stick with it! c25k made a runner out of me at the age of 43 (hey, that rhymes! :tongue: ) - if I can do it, you can too!

Over a year later I'm still running and I enjoy it.

Edited to add: I still enjoy it, but that's not to say that every run is easy or amazing. Running IS hard, and it's weird. I can have several average runs, and then one totally amazing run where I feel like I can practically fly, and run faster or farther than I ever have for no apparent reason. And then the next three runs just SUCK, dragging myself through a shorter distance, feeling like a complete beginner again, or whatever. :tongue: That's just running, from what I've been told and read.

But those amazing runs, and even the average ones - heck, even the crappy ones - they all keep me going. I've realized that even after a lousy run, I feel great when I'm done, and I'm always glad I did it.
  • catbare
    catbare Posts: 3 Member
    Congrats for getting out there! Sometimes we have great workouts and other times, we don't. Don't let the not-so-great workout sessions discourage you from getting out there and doing it again. You went out there and burned calories no matter how fast you went or how many running intervals you did - woo hoo!

Side cramps could be from eating or drinking too much or soon before a run. Try something lighter like a protein bar or shake, toast with peanut butter, granola bar with Gatorade, etc (you're looking for 200-400 calories of easily digestible carbs) 1-2 hours before you workout.

A good pair of running shoes for your gait, stretching your quads, calves, and hamstrings, and foam rolling will do wonders for helping to prevent knee pain.

Good luck and keep it up!
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Do not give up no matter what you do!

I started it last Monday and it was so hard I could barely make it through the session. I fast walked and completed and took a break day. The next time I tried I was already better! I did it for times last week and was finally able to run it all! I was pretty sore the break days but it was all worth it, it was kind of a good sore because I was proud of myself. I'm starting week 2 tomorrow.

I don't know why but I find that when I lift my hands up above my head it helps with cramps. Also I take really deep breaths and time my breathing to always exhale when my left foot lands on the ground. Remember this program wasn't meant for runners, it was meant for couch potatoes! You can do it!
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    cramps happen. i had bad knees my whole life till i started running at 27. it was just cause they were not used in a manner that would keep them strong (like running) i have absolutely no knee problems, ankle problems, or lower back problems anymore because of the weight loss and strengthening of the muscles and joints. its not easy at first but stay confident and strong. make sure not to eat for like 1-2 hours befor your run or it could cause cramping, or make sure you eat light. i usually run early then eat afterwards (maybe an apple, or some oatmeal in advance to get my carbs up and some sugars for energy at least hour befor run) good carbs equal good energy. hydration is critical befor this type of endurance exercise (not like slam a glass of water right befor, but be aware of when you will be running and hydrate with water befor hand). breathing is also critical. during your run, try to only think about your breathing for a while. if it is all erratic (which is normal to some extent in the beginning and during warm up) try to zone out everything but your breathing, make sure you take good long breathes in and also out. like 3-4 steps in 2-3 steps out. if your struggling to get oxygen youll cramp also. you can also slow down your pace but keep the same jogging motion (even if you could fast walk at that speed) untill you catch your breathe and then increase the pace again. it will help build the mind to be strong and overcome the need to walk. motivational music helps alot, especially if you find yourself fighting yourself in your head the whole time. keep positive and confident and you will be a runner in no time. i was over 65lbs heavier than today when i started also. it was not pretty, and i had told myself my whole life i was not built to run, nor was i capable of it. conditioning is everything. the more conditioned you become the easier it will be. consistency is critical. it changed my life though. add me as a friend if you want. ive done a lot of run coaching with people (not online) but i can try to help in whatever way possible
  • AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    be proud of yourself for even starting. I'm nervous about even trying to start. There's really no trails or places to run besides the roads around my house and I'm a little nervous about people watching me. Stupid I know. But you actually got out there and started and will get better and better :) Keep it up
  • McQuownRed
    McQuownRed Posts: 9 Member
    I think I was more bummed because I had hoped I wouldn't be that bad at it. Since I moved my dog up here from my parents' house in Jan, I've walked him RELIGIOUSLY 2 times a day (1/2mile in the morning, 3/4-1m in the afternoon), so I was hoping I would have slightly better endurance. The good news is, his obedience lessons are paying off for this too. He stayed next to me most of the time with only a few speed ups or side swipes.

I think my sports bra made the cramps worse. My usual one was dirty, so I went with one I rarely wear because it's so tight. I did get new shoes yesterday too. I had some minimal sole shoes, and those made my knee pain worse when i did anything past a regular jog.

What really motivated me was I had to be interviewed on camera for a classmate, and I couldn't believe how puffy my face had become. I should just keep that image in my head when I run.

Thanks all of you! I can't believe how many people responded with encouragement in such a short time. I tried WW online last year and rarely got this many responses. It's really a big help :-)
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    I would also say that if you have not been used to walking briskly, you might start with a week of that before you try adding in the running. Also, remember that running doesn't have to be flat our sprints...we are talking about anything above a walk. Don't over-do. You have three days to build this week, and I think you'll be surprised by the third time how much you've improved.

You also might check your C25K program. There are a lot of them out there. I like Podrunner version (free) because it starts the music out at a pace for a beginner and slowly builds. If the music on the program you are using is too fast, you may be pushing too hard.

Work on regular breathing. I count steps...like three steps, in...three steps out. Even breathing strengthens your lungs. You'll need that more than you need to learn to run as you are building.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Keep at it, and repeat this week before you progress further with C25K - you'll get there! Cramping can sometimes come from eating too soon before running, so make sure you have a good break beforehand.

My first rule of running is:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

More beginner's tips here, hope they help,. And do come back to let us know how you get on!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Wait, did you run 16.5 minutes total on your first try? If so, that's really good.
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Slow down! Even if you are jogging slower than you walk, it doesn't matter. At least you are doing it. Speed will come with time.