I GET HUNGRY FAST. ANY EATING TIPS?

Options
So, yeah, I get hungry real fast. My breakfast usually consists of whole wheat bread and oatmeal. For my AM snack, I'd settle for something under 200cal or so. By lunch, I'd be eating vegetables with meat (pork, beef, chicken or fish). In the PM snack, I'd have another for under 200cal. By dinner, it would usually be the same as what I had for lunch. I have stopped eating white rice for about a month now.

The thing is, 30mins-1 hr after my breakfast, I'd feel hungry. Like really hungry feed-me-or-ill-go-she-hulk on you. So I would settle for some lil snacking, right? Basically, I'd have an average of 1 hr before my hunger strikes again. Oh, and I workout, lift 10lbs for my arms, around 90lbs on my legs and basically just strength building and whatnot. I also do cardio/HIIT for about 20mins per gym sesh. I don't know what's wrong and I've been looking for answers but have none up to now.

Any suggestions?

PS, I don't even get the macros and other shizz. I understand watching the calorie intake. But that's the farthest I know. :)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Too much carb and not enough protein. Protein keeps you feeling full longer, so have some at every meal including breakfast. A boiled egg, perhaps. Also refined carbs make your blood sugar yoyo up then down, which leaves you craving sugar and carbs again in a few hours. I try to limit these. Also eat some fibre--fibrous fruit and veg (apples, green beans for example) keep you full longer too.
  • alaskanaomi
    Options
    I eat breakfast then drink a large cup of tea, a ton of water, another cup of tea, more water. This usually keeps me full until snack time, when I eat something fibrous and filling like an apple. Then more water and tea.

Coffee also helps, if you're into that.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As others have said, more protein and more fibre. Maybe add some fruit to your oatmeal, or put an egg with your toast. If your snacks are nuts instead of something sweet they will also help - when my co-worker sees my 25g portion of nuts he says "is it worth bothering with?", but if you eat them one at a time instead of a big handful they do fill you up.

Also keep water to hand and drink some when you feel hungry, or try one of those low-calorie hot chocolate sachets if you really feel you need a chocolate fix. Most "hunger" is actually thirst - I often really fancy my emergency choc bar, but its been in my desk for 6 weeks now, because I always make a cup of tea to go with it but won't opne the choc til the tea is 1/2 gone - by that time I don't need it any more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you net per day?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Too much carb and not enough protein. Protein keeps you feeling full longer, so have some at every meal including breakfast. A boiled egg, perhaps. Also refined carbs make your blood sugar yoyo up then down, which leaves you craving sugar and carbs again in a few hours. I try to limit these. Also eat some fibre--fibrous fruit and veg (apples, green beans for example) keep you full longer too.

^^^ this.

more protein, especially with breakfast if that's where you run into trouble, will definitely help keep you full and satiated longer.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    water, water, water and more water!

I drink an absolute minimum of 4 pint glasses of water a day. Stops me feeling hungry. Takes a bit of getting used to at first and you will feel cold but it makes a huge difference!
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This might sound counter-intuitive, but have you tried skipping breakfast completely? For me eating breakfast seems to get my appetite working, whereas I'm fine to lunchtime if I don't have anything.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This might sound counter-intuitive, but have you tried skipping breakfast completely? For me eating breakfast seems to get my appetite working, whereas I'm fine to lunchtime if I don't have anything.

It might be controversial, but this works for some people, namely myself. Try to get a feel for what suits you, if all the other suggestions fail. The vast majority of people work better on breakfast.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

This sounds just like me. If I don't have any breakfast, I'm fine til lunch. If I have breakfast, I'm starving less than 2 hours later. It's easier for me just not to have it - and then I have the saved calories for later in the day! :)
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2 to 3 hours. This stops the hungry feeling.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in apples and carrots. Eat them when you want as much as you want. buy the carrots already cut in sticks from the supermarket. Both are high fibre and good for appetite control, plus an apple simply takes a bit of effort to chew and eat so takes time and allows your body to register satiety.
    Try eating an apple with your breakfast .
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    just keep it simple more protein. 100g protein a day is a general guideline.
    choose foods that have fiber and protein as much as you can.
    adding ground flax seed and an egg or 2 to your oats will make your meal much
    more fulling, and longer lasting.
  • ipw133
    ipw133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me - Strong coffee reduces my appetite, along with hot foods (with chili). the other part of losing weight is that you have to build up self discipline. Ignoring hunger pangs trains your body to want less. much of the hunger may be a physiological thing, so training the brain is another element you need to deal with.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. More protein too, and I second eating every few hours or so. Why did you stop eating white rice? I eat it all the time and I have lost a massive amount of weight. Is there some special reason you can't eat it? It certainly gives me a full, satisfied feeling.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Many people do better without eating breakfast which is a great idea if it makes you eat more afterwards or if you'd be better off with the extra calories saved for later in the day. Eating breakfast doesn't get your metabolism going like we were once made to believe. If you do want to eat breakfast then as was said before then your best bets are adding more protein, fibre preferably from fruit and veggies if you can and coffee tends to help with appetite.. water too of course.
  • samipami
    samipami Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is totally me - the days I have breakfast I am hungry faster and cant wait whereas if I skip it and just have tea or water etc etc I can last till lunch time and actually feel full. For lunch I have lots of little things so it actually 'feels' like I am eating A LOT. Today I have cherry tomatoes, papaya, green apple and chicken soup, for dinner I am going to have grilled salmon with steamed brocolli and carrots and go to the gym.
    Another tip which works for me, I get home from work around 545ish, change etc and go to the gym for 630 ish even though my session is not till 7pm, that half hour helps me not pick at home and I get to the gym and sit in the bike with my ipad and burn some calories. However, after my session at the gym, actually I am not that hungry so wont eat the portion that I would normally if I had eaten before the gym. :-)
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options

^^^^This
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I find that snacks that I have to eat one at a time....like nuts or for me it is a high fiber cereal (no milk) helps. I have my breakfast at about 5:30am, so by the time I get to work at 8am I am hungry. I try to hold out until 10am for my snack. I drink water the minute I hit the door at work. If that doesn't get my mind off food, then sugar free gum. If all else fails then I will eat one of my snacks. I keep fruit at my desk, Fibre One bars, Snackwell popcorn, etc., this keeps me from making trips to the vending machine for bad choices.
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I'm impressed with how much weight you've lost already! Inspiring :)