Rock Bottom

Options
I remember reading somewhere that 80% of ppl who lose weight ended up gaining a portion of their weight back in 5 yrs. Well, I'm afraid that I've fallen into that percentage. (I've officially gained all the weight I lost last year, plus a little extra--- i've gained 18 pounds... :-(.Reality has hit and I've lost control and motivation with my eating and lack of exercising.... 1 day of not tracking led to 2, which led to 10 days then 2 months...which led me to thinking "why track any way... I want to be normal. I want to be free to eat without having the pressure of thinking about calories." But the opposite happened-- I obsessed over the calories in the food I was eating to the point where I felt so deprived and began to just eat (incl. emotional eating). And my new work schedule has thrown me out of whack because I'm not able to work out in the AM unless I wake up at 5 am and Im too burnt out to do anything in the evenings. (Sigh -- excuses I know.)
Now I purposely avoid looking at the scale in my bathroom since my pants having been telling me the truth I've been trying to ignore--I've lost control and need help.
I'm literally praying to God for guidance about this b/c I know there's a bigger issue here. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, how did you get back up?

Replies

• WayFonda
    WayFonda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This hasn't happened to me, but I do understand how it can. It's easy to get comfortable. What pushes me is just that wonderful feeling I have when I'm seeing the smaller sizes I can wear, having those pre/post pics around my home, & just recognizing how hard I've worked to get here. I refuse for it all to be in vain. Now we all have our unmotivated days & when things get too overwhelming. Trust me, I've been there..but you have to force yourself to pick up the pieces & get back in the game. The feeling you have now can be your motivation to get back out there. Take a hard look at yourself & the goals you set for yourself & take it one day at a time. I'm rooting for you & praying God takes your hand & leads you back to being the best you can be. Good luck!
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is just what happened to me! I lost 25 lbs 5 yrs ago and kept it off for a couple of years, Then an injury and subsequent surgery happened and I regained the weight plus some :frown:

Consider yourself older and wiser. You now know what you need to do to take it off and keep it off...for good! So what, if you need to track daily, it's a small price to pay for a thinner, healthier you :smile:

I also read a book titled Made To Crave. It is written by a woman who used the bible and God as guidance in her weight loss journey. Some of it, I couldn't relate to but other aspects of it I could (like that we are made for more than excuses and vicious cycles. We can taste success and experience truth. We can chose to stay on the path of hard work and perseverance...)

Good luck!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i thought this was a thread about how to get my bottom rock hard.....
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    You can get back on track, Just start, Remember the original motivation that got you to lose in the first place. I have been maintaining for 9 months and started to get lazy about weighing and posting. I saw a post about remembering your original motivation and voila - I don't want those mean women to be saying behind my back "Oh, look she is gaining all the weight back"!! I will NOT be that person.

Saw this and it helps:

) Where you are in life isn’t a measure of your full potential. It’s a measure of how you’ve played life’s cards SO FAR.

2) It’s never too late to play your hand a different way.

3) If you challenge YOURSELF every day, you’ll have more experience when LIFE challenges YOU.

4) Just like muscles need to be broken down to get stronger, sometimes we need to be broken down mentally and
    emotionally to get stronger in their respective senses as well.

5) Sometimes the people that you thought were good in your life were actually the people stepping on your head.

6) Surrounding yourself with positive and uplifting people, thoughts, pictures, quotes, experiences, etc. is the way to
    FEEL like you are living a positive and uplifting life. The same is true for the opposite.

7) HUGE personal successes start with a LOT of smaller efforts that build a solid foundation for that success.

8) When you don’t believe in yourself, other people don’t believe in you either. When you DO believe in yourself, people
    get blown away by everything you accomplish.

9) Some of the same people that see you turn your life around for the better will try to bring you back down to their level
    in order to feel good at the level they are STILL at.

10) When those people start to succeed in bringing you down, FIGHT HARDER! KEEP your goals, and know that you
    STILL have MORE potential to unleash!

11) NEVER GIVE UP! When you give up, you are saying, “I’m not worth it.”

12) KNOW that you ARE worth it!

13) Life isn’t easy or fair. The people that fare the best are the ones that adapt in difficult situations. Teach yourself to
    adapt! Get creative!

14) The same routine yields the same results. If you’re unhappy, CHANGE something.

15) You’re probably NOT going to win the lottery, become a celebrity, or find a rare valuable item at a resale shop and
    find out on Antiques Roadshow. So quit hoping to be rich someday so you can have a personal trainer and chef, and
    just get realistic :)

16) “When you were in high school, college, etc…” < Stop living in the past! Live in the present!

17) Stop making excuses! Admit you’re flawed like the rest of the world, and figure out a way to be the BEST version of
    yourself.

18) The best version of YOURSELF? What is that? Figure it out. Experiment. Stop looking to others for easy answers to
    YOUR complicated personal battles.

19) Be proud of yourself!

20) Taking pride, and being a self-absorbed tool bag are NOT the same. So relax, and talk about your accomplishments
    a little. It’s OK! You might even inspire someone else!

21) Stop worrying about failure, and “what ifs.” Focus on what you WILL do instead. When you decide to do something,
    you find a way to do it. When you worry about failing, you find a way to do IT too.

22) Taking care of YOU should be a PRIORITY. It doesn’t make you selfish. It means you have self-respect. Besides,
    everyone knows you can’t be fully present for others when you’re not for yourself. Win-win.

23) Take out the trash. You’re not a dumpster, so get rid of the garbage in your life. (Whatever that garbage is- people,
    food, habits…etc.)

24) Allow yourself to be human and have “bad days.” You’re not a superhero. Get over it.

25) When you DO have bad days, find a way to re-inspire yourself. Even if it’s just by making a list of things you’ve
    learned in life and sharing it in on the internet :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    This isn't my first rodeo either. In 2007 I lost 30ish lbs on Weight Watchers and I didn't keep it off long. I guess "thin" isn't all that powerful a motivator. I'm aiming for HEALTH this time, and my life - and yours - quite literally depend on it. I want to be around for my kids and I want to be around for my husband, I also want to be around period lol. I think your first step is to forgive yourself and your second to look at goals that are more meaningful than just being thin. Beauty is skin deep.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm very familiar with this. Eleven years ago I went from 347 pounds to 215 pounds only to gain it all back plus some. At my starting weight on March 14th of this year, I weighed 362 pounds. Currently, I'm at 324. I learned a valuable lesson - it isn't so much about weight loss as it is a health gain. Weight loss is only one piece of the entire health equation. Health equals mind plus body and spirit and you cannot have only 1 of those 3 in balance and expect to be healthy. When I lost weight the first time, I was still unhappy and depressed: the weight loss didn't magically get me celebrity status or a ticket to ride as I thought it would. Having the advantage of a few more years of wisdom, I'm getting my mind and spirit right through therapy while losing weight. Not only has it made losing weight easier, I actually want to motivate others and help others. In turn motivating others is motivating me and instead of a downward spiral, I keep feeling better all of the time. It's funny how I used to view overweight people with disdain - now, I'm compassionate and want to help as I go through this journey.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is so hard, but do not feel like this is the end. You have the power to change this around! Start small, look at what you're eating now and how you're habits have changed that lead to the weight gain. Small changes add up---start by planning your meals and staying within a healthy calorie range. Start adding movement, and drinking lots of water. Reflect, pray, dream about your goals and think about how you felt when you first lost that weight. We have it within ourselves to find that power and strength. Most of all, realize that this is for YOU and for your health. Best of luck to you x
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    I did the same thing! In 2011, I lost 40lbs only to gain it all back. I'm down 29lbs again now since January. I am doing it all over again and you can too! It just takes a lot of hard work and dedication! Request me as a friend if you'd like! :-)
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there, got the T shirt, in my case I just allowed work to rule me, and not make any time for me or my family, I deluded myself in believing that I was having/createing a better lifestyle (as we all really know, money does not equal happiness). Woke up to this fact and am now working hard to put things right for me and my family.

We are only human and therefore we make mistakes, thankfully most mistakes can be rectified, you have started your journey again and this time you have hindsight to ensure that you can stick with it better this time around.

Very best of luck on your journey :happy:
  • samuka1
    samuka1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for each of your posts!
    Gives me a lot to think about.I think the first step here is forgiving myself and moving on :-).