Hand weights

Options
When I feel like being a couch potato, I have 3 lb weights that I pick up and use for various arm exercises. My husband said I am wasting my time because this is not enough weight nor is it good muscle strengthen exercise. What do you all say? Am I wasting my time? :sad:

Replies

• bluerobi
    bluerobi Posts: 22
    Options
    When I feel like being a couch potato, I have 3 lb weights that I pick up and use for various arm exercises. My husband said I am wasting my time because this is not enough weight nor is it good muscle strengthen exercise. What do you all say? Am I wasting my time? :sad:
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a little of something is better than nothing.:flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I dont think that it will make super major changes quickly, but movement is movement and resistance is resistance and if you are sitting there anyway why not? Just sitting and constricting various muscle groups can help build muscle (slowly albeit but still...) so why not light handweights. Also - you may use this time to do stretches as well which are very good for you too.

And when you do your arm lifts and things, focus on constricting ALL the muscles in your arm, not just the single one doing the main movement. It's almost like Yoga - smooth, regulated, slow, stretching movement using constricted muscle groups. (Slowly is the key to make this type of exercise show results.)

You wont see a weight loss jump or anything, but you would definitely start to see some tone if done regularly. You can then use your new arm muscle to whoop him along side the head and say "Told you so!"
  • georgiaj
    georgiaj Posts: 59
    Options
    well it's better than nothing isn't it? Most people don't get fat overnight it's the lifting the fork up over and over again those small bites add up as do the small extra movements that you wouldn't normally do.
  • bluerobi
    bluerobi Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement all. I will keep on moving no matter how small the movement. And, a good whoop up side the head might do him some good.
  • xKishax
    xKishax Posts: 33
    Options
    It's also good to use other things around the house to up the weight your using. Like people say take full waterbottles on walks. Maybe you could pick up something heavier & lift it while your watching tv.