Half marathon training advice.

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
Hi I have a half marathon on the 12th may, my training has been hit and miss due to the awful weather in the uk and health/ family issues. I have managed to run 2-3 times a week while doing jillian michaels body revolution as well 6 days a week, I also do other exercise when the mood takes me. My base fitness is quite good and I have done 1 long run of 12 miles in 2 hours. I missed my last long run last week as I was ill, my question is should I do the long run today or just skip it and continue with the plan as it is written. I am fairly confident I will finish the course, was hoping to improve last years time of 2 hour 13 but we will see how it goes.

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I would skipbit and go on with the plan, unless there is some reason you think you'll miss this week's long run. You wouldn't want to do two long runs so close together so close to your race. I think you'd be risking injury that way.
  • joybedford
    Options
    There isn,t a long run this week as the half is in 10 days time. Longest run this week is 5 miles. i thought I should skip it but wanted to check.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would do the long run today as you won't really be getting in another really long one before the race.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ok, I assumed since your race is a week from Sunday that you would be doing another long run this weekend. I have a half comibg up on this Sunday and my plan had me do 12 the weekend before the race and now I'm tapering. In this case, I would do as the other poster said and do your long run today.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    The longest I ever train run for a half is 10 miles so I think you will be fine.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would do what feels comfortable since you are coming off an illness. If you are struggling, keep to the plan and don't push it too hard.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan.

There is nothing you can do this close to the race to help your time, but there is a lot you can do to hurt it.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan and save your legs. You won't gain anything in terms of fitness or endurance 10 days out. Making up mileage is never a good idea.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I agree to stick to the plan... it is too close to try and make up training. My number one priority in any race is to finish then time comes in second. So just focus on finishing the course and if you get tired, it's okay to walk. I always tell myself this on any run.
  • joybedford
    Options
    Thanks everyone I did 10 miles because I felt like it and it felt good now sticking to the plan and running for fun. I am only running next week no other exercise to let my legs recover. Bring on the half marathon.