Question for all young stylish men

Options

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Back in the days that was the "Style" Now it's a "emo" thing. I personally don't like the whole "emo" or "goth" scene, but hey whatever floats your boat.....until you try to push your lifestyle on my kids. --- but that's another story....
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use to paint my nails black. I was a rocker. And I laid more chicks than any dude on this thread. So up yours.

I think if you're bragging about it on the internet, you're lying.

Cool story bro. Whatever helps you sleep at night. It's not bragging if its true. Just making a point about painting nails. It's not gay and it's not goth. It can be whatever you want it to be. As a rocker, in my day, it was pretty common for us to do that. Multiple earrings, tats, leather jackets, and painted nails all worked together.

You're just too cool for me...I'm out.

No. I was cool in the 80s. Not anymore.

Did you have hairspray too?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's a very stylish older heterosexual man who rocks nail polish, occasionally wears clothes more often associated with women's wear and also happened to run 43 marathons in 51 days :happy:

Izzard_zps223b27e9.jpg
  • moliva4
    moliva4 Posts: 29
    Options
    Firstly, yes the comment was homophobic. Secondly, style is not universal - there are many different types of styles that are considered to be "fashionable" that could include nail polish on a man. You happened to pick trendy men who are more clean cut - doesn't mean there aren't others who are still "trendy" and nail polish would suit their style. *smh*
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier saying my teenage son wouldn't paint his nails--he wouldn't, but he's not a goth/emo/rocker type. He's a ballet dancer, and painted nails wouldn't be ok in his daily classes (they're strict with dress/grooming). My husband DID paint his nails back in the 80s. He's always been rather eccentric. He's a musician and stuff. :smile:
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I happen to find nail polish on boys quite endearing. But then, I love androgyny and gender-bending and whatnot.

But I mean... look at this adorable little muffin.

33jtmir.png

Look how happy his nails make him! If somebody is happy with something, then why judge them for it, even if you don't particularly care for it?
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options

You wouldn't see Ryan Reynolds or David Beckham wearing nail polish would you? ;)

I wouldn't doubt either of the two men have had manicures before and I feel that a clear coat of nail polish helps the nails shine and isn't any less masculin.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't see Ryan Reynolds or David Beckham wearing nail polish would you? ;)
    Or Johnny Depp :wink:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is this, you can have your own sense of "style" but there is a global acceptance of what being "stylish" is. And too me, being stylish for a man means dressing your self like a gentleman and looking presentable in both a working and social environment.

I guess the root problem a lot of people would have with what you are saying is that your idea gender rolls is outdated. you make it sound like if you wear nail polish, you are not a real man, but its ok for man on man men because theyre not "real men" either.

there are no set gender boundaries, no such thing as "a real man". we live in a more enlightened world these days, there are women who grow up to identify as men and men who transition into women. there are lots of people in between, but in the end its not up to you to judge who someones gender or dismiss or discount it because it doesn't fit in with you, your straight mates and ryan Reynolds.

there are men who dress in drag and men that are nurses and men who stay at home and look after their children and men who love other men and men who wear nail polish. they're all men. they're all real.

thats tolerance. thats equality. thats understanding. traditional gender roles are outdated. time to catch up man.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Not my personal preference, but I'm not one to knock someone else's sense of style. I have my own sense of style and my friends/co-workers get on me. I'm a grown *kitten* man with a beard, I do what I want.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    The way I see it is this, you can have your own sense of "style" but there is a global acceptance of what being "stylish" is. And too me, being stylish for a man means dressing your self like a gentleman and looking presentable in both a working and social environment.

I guess the root problem a lot of people would have with what you are saying is that your idea gender rolls is outdated. you make it sound like if you wear nail polish, you are not a real man, but its ok for man on man men because theyre not "real men" either.

there are no set gender boundaries, no such thing as "a real man". we live in a more enlightened world these days, there are women who grow up to identify as men and men who transition into women. there are lots of people in between, but in the end its not up to you to judge who someones gender or dismiss or discount it because it doesn't fit in with you, your straight mates and ryan Reynolds.

there are men who dress in drag and men that are nurses and men who stay at home and look after their children and men who love other men and men who wear nail polish. they're all men. they're all real.

thats tolerance. thats equality. thats understanding. traditional gender roles are outdated. time to catch up man.

tumblr_mlpgoobgWG1r3f0rro1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_mf7xxos7T41ry4qim.gif

tumblr_inline_mlq73z5kyB1rca3vi.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No No No No No.....No......No.

28681-nicki-minaj-Hell-no-gif-LuBd.gif
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    No No No No No.....No......No.

28681-nicki-minaj-Hell-no-gif-LuBd.gif

tumblr_mlqd7r6yUN1r1okmxo2_500.gif
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My son wore black nail polish.
    He was in a death metal band for a long time.
    It is just that scene....not gay or heterosexual based in any way.
    It is just what they did.
    I didn't judge him either.
    I just bought it for him!

Love the way people jump to one side or the other in judgement.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No.
  • chrisvinci
    Options
    What is your definition of young? I am 28 pretty fashionable, but I nor my friends paint or do our nails. Unless this is the trend for the kids these days.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I think its becoming more popular in all boys/kids. My best friends son is 17 and he wears it sometimes, but only black. He's not all about colors and such.
    I think its just trendy for the time being.
    This too shall pass...
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    <<--I like blue best.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Actually yeah, you would.

blacknaildavid.jpg

beckhampaint.jpg
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Please

Never, EVER, confuse a metrosexual guy with a redneck, hardworking country boy.

Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse. We will see who survives!

Rant on.

And no, it is NOT becoming popular. I don't care if in a band, or a fad, or the thing to do...no, it is not to be done. I don't care about tattoos, piercings and the alternative lifestyle. Painted fingernails on a man signifies the lack of know how of manual labor. They are the ones that pay everyone else to do those little jobs that I am convinced everyone should learn how to do. From cutting grass to changing oil. People would have more money in their pockets.

Rant off.