I seem can't meet 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Granola bars have lots of calories.

Lunch should be your biggest meal of the day, not dinner. You shouldn't be starving for dinner. That food is just going to sit in your belly all night. A big lunch will give you the energy you need to get through the day.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Please try to start eating more. There was a day recently where you only ate a little over 600 calories. This is not enough. Eat peanut butter, nuts, some dark chocolate, something. I think 1200 is so low to begin with but when you aren't even reaching that, you need to work on getting there first.

I am not trying to assume but is this a mind over matter thing? Are you telling yourself you are not hungry? Because no one should be able to eat only 600 calories a day, work out and still not be hungry.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i call shenanigans on anyone who says they can't eat over 1200 cals. because not eating over 1200 cals got you on a weightloss site to begin with.

an easy way is replacing any "diet" foods with the real thing. those foods are all meh anyway. just get full fat milk, yogurts, cheese, avocados, nuts/nut butters, seeds, add olive oil to a salad and bam. over 1200 cals.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    How heavy are you?
    If you are heavy..you couldn't have had trouble eating enough calories in the first place?
  • keem88
    Options
    Eat a bigger breakfast. You can easily get in 1200 calories. It isn't hard. I don't believe that a bowl of cereal holds you all day. What the hell kind of cereal is it?

2 hard boiled eggs = 140 calories
    1 whole grain english muffin = 120 calories
    2 tbsp peanut butter = 200 calories
    1 banana = 105 calories
    1 cup strawberry halves = 55 calories

TOTAL = 620 calories

Filling, and gets you half of your target in one meal.

Of course, you could eat 500 for breakfast, 500 for dinner and one 200 calorie snack. A banana with 1 tbsp of peanut butter is about 200 calories. Delicious, easy and quick.

this. cereal is just pumped with crap anyway, and is fine AS PART OF a well balanced breakfast as the commercials say. i also call shenanigans that 1 bowl of cereal keeps you full until 5pm. i hate these kinds of tops threads, ugh.
  • tmitchellh
    tmitchellh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Say hello to my little friends - the jar of peanut butter and a spoon.

This! :blushing:

I agree! I have some natural PB that I keep handy for when I do a late workout and should be eating but don't feel like it. Rare occasion, but it happens!
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A bowl of cereal for breakfast keeps you full until 5pm? Come on now...

Amen. I can bet my life that you were eating more than that before 5pm when you started this journey.
    You need fuel for your body.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You are barely eating. Tea is not a snack. A malteser bar is not lunch. Add some real food, preferably food with some nutritional value, lean proteins, vegetables, whole grains, fruit.
    I know you want to lose weight bu it will be very difficult to maintain weight loss and keep it off if you wreck yor metabolism in the meantime.
    Hungar is not a reliable cue. People who starve themselves, literally, often don't feel hunger. Make an effort to eat several meals (however many you chose, 3,4, 6) and make an effort to make them balanced meals. You'll find it easier to reach your goal.
  • Rleg0810
    Rleg0810 Posts: 1
    Options
    You're not hungry because your metabolism is low. You are eating in "waves", therefore your blood sugar, metabolism and everything else performs the same way. You are basically starving yourself during those periods so your metabolism slows and goes into starvation mode, storing anything it can (fat) because it doesn't know when you are going to feed it next. Think of your body as a machine. It must be constantly fueled to work properly, otherwise it will shut down. Being in college makes it very difficult to eat well and often, trust me I ate terribly (not the foods I ate but when and how I ate). Grab a bag of apples (they keep you full), baby carrots, nuts, protein bar (look at the sugar content!), etc. Always keep some kind of snack with you and eat something every few hours. You will start to notice you will get hungry which means your metabolism is up and you will start to see results!
  • keem88
    Options
    bring some seeds or nuts with you to eat during or in between classes, or fruit with pb. start making lunches even if it is just a sandwich or a salad with added protein, and some full fat cottage cheese or yogurt on the side. bring hard boiled eggs with you too. you just have to get used to eating again
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I call bull. I eat 2000 calories a day of good, non-processed foods that require minimal cooking.

Buy 2 lbs of chicken breasts, season with salt and pepper, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Make chicken sandwiches, wraps, salads with chicken, omelets. Whatever you don't use in one meal, refrigerate for another.

Buy a pound of lean ground beef. Season with salt and pepper/whatever other seasonings you'd like. Pour about a spoonful of olive oil in a skillet, cook beef until it's brown. Serve over brown rice, with salad on the side.

Make hard-boiled eggs, eat with fruit and a toasted English muffin, call it breakfast.

Google "simple easy meals" or "eating healthy on a budget", peruse the hundreds of sites that come up.

Help yourself, girl.
  • InvadingObsession
    InvadingObsession Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 stone exactly (I was 12.2 last September). I ate 60g of frosted flakes with just over 125ml of milk and a big mug of coffee for breakfast at 11 am this morning, I feel so full that if I eat anything else I'll probably feel sick; I'm guessing this is where I'm going wrong. I get hungry and sick feelings mixed up all the time, after a huge meal I sometimes feel like I'm starving when I'm really just way too full; but I don't want to try eating in case I really do feel sick so I wait for my stomach to rumble or something.

I thought I just needed a suggestion on how to up my intake but now I think there's something wrong with me; going to force eat over the next couple of days.

I'm also going to buy myself some peanut butter.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I see these ridiculous posts and it infuriates me! 1200 cals is not enough for any human to live long term on! Everyone has an off day and might not each much- but to say you cant eat 1200 cals on a long term basis- please.

Do some research- learn how to take care of your body whether you can cook or heat up the oven!

And before the "Oh! I've lived on 1000 calories a day for 10 years and I'm perfectly fine!" people bust out, I might add that the UN's World Food Programme and WHO call for 2100 calories per person per day to keep people from *starving*

http://www.wfp.org/hunger/what-is
    For weeks, even months, its victims must live on significantly less than the recommended 2,100 kilocalories that the average person needs to lead a healthy life.

The body compensates for the lack of energy by slowing down its physical and mental activities. A hungry mind cannot concentrate, a hungry body does not take initiative, a hungry child loses all desire to play and study.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you can drink juice during the day, you can drink water too.

I drink around two glasses of cordial (that's what I meant by juice) a day if I'm thirsty because I don't like the taste of water. (I know people will say 'water doesn't taste of anything' but it does, it tastes like water.) But not every day.
    I now feel like I need to sit back and actually look at what I'm doing wrong; I'm wondering if I'm ignoring what my body's saying, because I've just come over all thirsty (Still not hungry though).

They make plenty of non-sugar additive, low-cal drink mixes that you can put into your water to make it taste like something. I normally drink water, but have tried a ton of the "energy" branded powders you mix with water to replace my former soda addiction. I started with sugar and caffeine ones, but found out there are plenty out there that are more vitamin based with no sugar or caffeine... maybe that could be your answer for drinking more water?

as for consuming more calories, its been said a few times, but Peanut Butter. Put it on a spoon, put it on bread, put it with some dark chocolate, whatever! Some additional good snacks could include granola, nuts, dried fruits, healthy (low sugar) granola bars, baked or popped chips, whole grain bread products, yogurt...

I think your relationship with food is also very negative which is a mental hurdle for your eating. Think of food as fuel. You need to eat that calorie number to fuel your body... To allow you to be sharp mentally, to be able to exercise... It doesn't matter when you eat the calories, spreading them out through smaller meals spaced 3-4 hours apart might be easier than trying to eat a huge breakfast, feel miserable, and then try and eat another big dinner... But its fuel, count your calories and force yourself to eat if you aren't getting there.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your journey, it is ultimately extremely rewarding.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This shouldn't really be hard. Add a spoonful or two of peanut butter or snack on some nuts---you will easily add 200 calories to your day, no cooking required. What milk are you using in your cereal? Try full-fat milk. Or, again, add some nuts in the bowl...nuts are very caloric, but nutritious.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Make shakes for breakfast. Mine this morning was 412 calories. Even without the added protein, it still would have been close to 300 and I got 2 servings of fruit and 1 of vegetables. As has already been suggested, carry around single servings of nuts, peanut butter and a spoon, avocado, cheese. Eat something for lunch. Even if you aren't hungry. Another shake. A sandwich. A bag of carrots. 1200 calories isn't enough for anyone. Especially someone who is working out regularly. You are killing your metabolism and burning muscle when you work out. You have obviously spent several years training your body to not be hungry during the day. Now you need to take the time to reverse that. I know it can be done because I did it. I realize you are busy and on a schedule. I know that makes it difficult. I'm a single mom raising three kids, working two jobs and going to school. If I can find the time and money to eat, you can.
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could be intolerant of what you are eating for breakfast. I am Coeliac and if I eat (accidentally or intentionally) a meal with gluten in I feel full and uncomfortable for hours and hours. Try making your breakfast gluten free and dairy free and see if you can get a little hunger by lunchtime. Try to eat unprocessed foods like fruits, eggs etc that your body can handle relatively easily.

Hope this helps.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm a university student which means I have live cheaply and don't have any cooking skills whatsoever (I get stressed cooking a frozen pizza), so making big meals with lots of ingredients just doesn't happen.
    I always thought I'd been going way over my calorie limit when I tried calculating it myself throughout the day but then I started putting the stuff I eat on here and I realised I'd been adding at least 50 calories to the things I was eating just to be safe. This left me with well over 200 uneaten calories by the end of the day.
    The easiest thing to do would be to have lunch, but I'm never hungry in the afternoon; I have cereal and coffee for breakfast and that's me full until around 5pm and then I can only just make it to 500 calories for that meal.
    I also aim to burn 500 calories a day through exercise (I took a break yesterday because a new type of exercise killed my calves) so I really do need to reach 1200 calories.
    Is there a way to make yourself hungry or add a few hundred calories without eating much? (this sounds like a stupid question but I can't even bring myself to have a drink of water never mind eat something after breakfast until I'm really really hungry in the evening).

If 1200 calories is what MFP gives you before exercise and you burn 500 calories from exercise then if you follow MFP you should eat 1200 calories (which is already at a deficit to lose) plus your exercise calories which means you should be eating closer to 1700 calories total. 1200 rec. Before exercise minus 500 from exercise leave you with a net of 700 calories. In this case you will still be under eating.

If you can't or won't feed your body enough to even function properly please don't add exercise on top of that. You won't be doing yourself any favors.

It makes no sense to me when people claim they can't properly fuel their body. If you aren't eating enough then eat more. If you are seriously stuffed on 600 calories you should probably see your doctor because it isn't normal and it isn't healthy.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would say to add foods with more fat in them. With fat you get more calories with a smaller volume of food. I've seen lots of people suggest nuts (any kind), which is great for healthy fats, and a quarter cup is usually around 150-200 cals. Avocados are awesome, too. 1 avocado is around 300 cal and has lots of healthy fats in it. This might sound weird, but try adding butter to your coffee in the mornings (Check out "bulletproof coffee" recipes).
  • carlaboerma
    Options
    I grab those kellogs cereal bars that give a lot of nutrition. Another thing to do is grab some orange juice, juice or some that you can travel with easily. You have to try and eat. I know its hard but you will feel better in the long run.