I. WANT. ABS

Options
So, I'm a little under 20% BF and the last time I checked was some time around March. If I remember correctly, I weighed in at 19.4%. I feel I have noticeable changes so I guess I got below 19% now. I'm pretty fit and I do workouts everyday. I noticed that some parts of my body are getting toned, too. And when I tighten my abdominal area, it's pretty hard. When I check myself in the mirror and flex my abs, I could feel it harden but it just won't show the way I expect it to yet. Well, a few twists and changes on the poses on the mirror and I see some definition and some 'cuts'. I just need a concrete set of exercise or advice regarding this. I've quit on Ab Ripper X and looked for other exercises that would effectively and efficiently improve my abs. :)

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a manufactured defective human being (check your tag), you have abs. Seeing them? Is another story. It starts in the kitchen and gym time is required. Calorie deficit is mandatory.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know it's cliche but abs are made in the kitchen. Lifting heavy weights and sticking with ARX (why would you stop?! I got lovely abs from it) will help keep building the muscle as long as you do them properly with good form and support with your core when lifting. Pay attention to your macros and don't give up. You will see them eventually :) Also, how are you measuring your BF%? Someone trained using callipers on you?

Edited for typos
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and get to a low body fat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and get to a low body fat.

Stole the words right out of my mouth!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've never met anyone who didn't have abs.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. You don't have a high body fat % for a female. I would think you could see definition at 20%. I have around 24% and I can see ab definition on myself. I mean I don't look like a ripped fitness model with a six-pack, but I have nice athletic looking contours. I think the key to seeing abs is getting the body fat low enough that the muscles show through and of course working those muscles to get them where you want them. I'm waiting to see what others say on this.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you feel you already have decent ab muscles underneath, then all you really need to do is uncover them. This means a reduction in body fat (calorie deficit) until you're lean enough to show them.

Also, lift heavy. Heavy compound lifts work your core so well, it's unlikely you need extra ab workouts, but if you enjoy them then by all means keep doing them, I just don't think they're necessary :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. You don't have a high body fat % for a female. I would think you could see definition at 20%. I have around 24% and I can see ab definition on myself. I mean I don't look like a ripped fitness model with a six-pack, but I have nice athletic looking contours. I think the key to seeing abs is getting the body fat low enough that the muscles show through and of course working those muscles to get them where you want them. I'm waiting to see what others say on this.

It depends on where you store fat as well as how much muscle you have there. When I was 17/18% body fat, I couldn't see them but I didn't have that much muscle. I have significantly more muscle now, but I'm at around 20%. Most of my fat is stored in my stomach so I'd have to get really lean I think to be able to see definition.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep reducing your BF% (mostly a facet of good diet.)

However, you must also realise that your abdominal structure is mostly governed by genetics. So you get what you get once you have reduced your body fat sufficiently. For some people that means abs that look like bricks, for others it may be different.

Don't compare yourself to people around you and say "I want to look like that". You are unique.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

It depends on where you store fat as well as how much muscle you have there. When I was 17/18% body fat, I couldn't see them but I didn't have that much muscle. I have significantly more muscle now, but I'm at around 20%. Most of my fat is stored in my stomach so I'd have to get really lean I think to be able to see definition.

That's cool. Makes sense to me. I lift heavy and run long-distance and I don't carry a lot of fat around the middle. I don't look like I have 24% fat but that's what my doctor measured. I have larger breasts than a lot of other ladies of my size so maybe that's where all the fat went. The genetics thing makes sense. So if I got down to 20% I might have a six-pack under there...or I'd finally lose my boobs! :laugh:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options

That's cool. Makes sense to me. I lift heavy and run long-distance and I don't carry a lot of fat around the middle. I don't look like I have 24% fat but that's what my doctor measured. I have larger breasts than a lot of other ladies of my size so maybe that's where all the fat went. The genetics thing makes sense. So if I got down to 20% I might have a six-pack under there...or I'd finally lose my boobs! :laugh:

How in heck have you kept your boobs?? Lol. I'm at around 15% BF, no boobs and no abs :-( Actually, not strictly true. You can see the top part of my 6 pack..... kinda like a 2 pack, lol. I will get there dammit!
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply everyone. ;) Hm, the BF % seems to be pretty low. I know it's not that accurate. It just said so on the weighing scale on some pharmacy here. Haha. Of course, I didn't mean I didn't have 'abs' abs. I do! Everyone does! :)))) I just wanted it to be really, really defined. :))