Sore feet

Options
Everytime I take a fitness class and they ask us to do jumping jacks, skipping, shuffling etc my feet start to hurt. I mean they hurt to the point that I cant continue to exercise. Any idea what this could be and what I can do?

Replies

• themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you replaced your sneakers lately?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try new shoes. Perhaps you need more support in a certain area or cushioning or something.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Could be plantar fascitis. Do some good calf stretches before and after you work out and see a doctor or physical therapist if it continues. I had this a couple of years ago and it didn't get better until I saw a therapist. You might also get fitted for a pair of orthotics you can place in any pair of shoes to help support your feet.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    lol, I'm headed to New Balance this afternoon for the same reason
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain located in your feet? Mine is in my right heel. Podiatrist says its Plantar Fascitis (plus bone spur) which is something alot of people get. I have learned that I can't run anymore and use the Concept II Rower instead. I have to use inserts in my shoes, always wear heels (NEVER flats) and NEVER go barefoot, EVER. I do stretches all throughout the day which is supposed to help but usually doesn't. It's something they can do surgery for but the results aren't guaranteed. Pretty much a pain in the *kitten*!!

Regardless where your pain is located, I would recommend seeing a podiatrist and do what they say to take care of them. Our feet support the entire weight of our bodies so to me it's important to take good care of them!

Good luck!
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My first instinct would be to check the shoes - they may be worn out, or not the right shoe for you for this type of movement.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    if you wear shoes all the time and are sedentary it could be your feet getting in shape . If they are hurting real bad either get different shoes or wear dancer's pads....less than $10.00 a pair. Try walking barefoot more often if youre not. Feet need to work out too.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    New shoes.

My feet were the exact same when I did anything physical.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I started running with some old crappy shoes. . .my feet were KILLING me! When I got new shoes they stopped hurting, I pushed harder, and then my legs were sore!! LOL!!!

But, shoes are a great place to start. If you notice pain that lingers well beyond the fitness class, you may want to see a sports medicine doc and see if he can help get you going in the right direction.

Good luck!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get cramps in my feet from doing jumping jacks or other repetitive jumps in one class I take, they can be very painful. It feels like when you've been running and get a cramp in your side, but in your foot. Try not tying your shoes too tight, bending your knees more and also try to land softly so there is less impact on your feet. If you get a cramp stop and stretch your foot out, or do a lower impact option. Try the new shoes and ask the teacher, if that doesn't help see a doctor before self or internet diagnosing.
  • smr1015
    smr1015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Spend some money on the right shoes. They make a huge difference, and those pains in your feet will start creeping into your knees, hips, back, and neck if you don't take care of your "base".

I go the the chiropractor for occasional back adjustments, and sometimes have her look at my feet as well. She has done some minor bone adjustments when I've had pain, but I'm usually interested in whether she thinks it's skelatal (something she can fix) or if it's a soft-tissue issue. The one time I had a soft-tissue issue, she fixed me up with some kenesio tape, and recommended that if it didn't feel better in a couple days, to go to the foot doctor. The tape gave it the support it needed to get through the every-day (it stays on for 2-3 days), and it was back to normal shortly after.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    good shoes.

also you could try getting a lacrosse ball and rolling your feet the way you would with a foam roller.
    helps mine feel better on long runs.
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same issue, even a short brisk walk would have my feet killing me..pain was mostly in my arch but could radiate from anywhere in the foot. I went to a fitness shoe store, was evaluated and fitted into a shoe meant for me. Best thing I could've done. :)
  • roch5220x
    roch5220x Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As many of mentioned, get the correct shoes.

A proper running store can help you. Go to one with a treadmill so that they can watch you run.
    You can also do jumping jacks to see if the ones they recommend hurt.

You might need arch support, etc. etc., hence, easiest fix is the shoe.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Where is the pain located in your feet? Mine is in my right heel. Podiatrist says its Plantar Fascitis (plus bone spur) which is something alot of people get. I have learned that I can't run anymore and use the Concept II Rower instead. I have to use inserts in my shoes, always wear heels (NEVER flats) and NEVER go barefoot, EVER. I do stretches all throughout the day which is supposed to help but usually doesn't. It's something they can do surgery for but the results aren't guaranteed. Pretty much a pain in the *kitten*!!

Regardless where your pain is located, I would recommend seeing a podiatrist and do what they say to take care of them. Our feet support the entire weight of our bodies so to me it's important to take good care of them!

Good luck!

Where the pain is an indicator of what is wrong. I will add a couple of things. I had a pointed bone spur growing out the back of my right heel bone into the achilles tendon. The surgery could require dis-connecting then re-attaching the tendon to remove the spur, which means being in a cast with NO walkng for 10 months. My Podiatrist was able to get under the tendon and grind the spur off without dis-connecting the tendon. I also have plantar faciitis. A trip to the "Good Feet" store. There are 3 in the Phoenix area cured that pain instantly. They also sell athletic shoes made to be used with orthotics So:
    1. See a Podiatrist first
    2. Do what he says. Be it new shoes, orthotics then,.............
    3. Try walking for awhile before pushing it to give your feet, and body, a chance to get in shape. For me, when I can walk 3 miles in 1 hour, I'm ready.
  • azdaisy2
    azdaisy2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know my shoes need to be replaced but this happens even when I bought my last pair shoes - which were Ascics gels. My feet don't hurt when I walk or run, but when I use the elliptical my feet start to go numb - which could also have to do with my pinched sciatic nerve. I think I am going to try and see a podiatrist for recommendations as well as a chiropractor.