Losing too much too fast?

Options
I started using mfp about 6 weeks ago. I have consistently been losing 4-6 lbs a week going by the mfp suggested 1350 then 1250 daily goal. At first I told myself that since I gave up soda and a lot of sodium, I wasn't concerned about the numbers and I would settle into 2lbs a week of weight loss. However, I'm now down 30 lbs in 6 weeks and I am concerned that it's too much too fast. I have upped my goal to 1400. My question is how much at a time should I adjust my goals by, and how long should I wait before deciding to readjust? If it matters, 5'7 male, started at 220, now at 190 as of Saturday.

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Wish I had that problem :( but on a serious note: first you are male therefore I am guessing your cal allotment is TOO low especially if you work out. I am female 5'5 194 lbs and I consume just over 1500 (at my BMR) and lost just over a pound a week.

You are most likely losing muscle mass which is NOT a good thing. What is your BMR? You need to eat at or above that and then any exercise calories you earn.

The first couple of weeks - you should of lost large numbers but it should of slowed after that
  • tmitchellh
    tmitchellh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It seems like that number of calories is way too low for a male...I know guys tend to lose weight more quickly, but that is a lot. My advice would be to make sure you eat back your exercise calories first. Then if you continue to lose really fast add 100 or 200 calories per day.

I often think MFP gives too low of calories from what I read on here. My daughter was given 1200 to start and you should never go below that so how do you adjust for weight lost lol! :smile:
  • Ubergeek922
    Options
    I think I may be under estimating my activity level. I don't "work out" but with 5 kids at home from 4 to 15 years old, its constant playing, going for walks, etc from the time I get home till bed time. I have more energy than ever and feel great, but I worry this is temporary and the excess weight loss will catch up with me. As I mentioned I've upped the calories by 200, what is a reasonable time frame to allow my body to adjust and gauge if I should adjust again?
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Couple of weeks... 3-4?