To fat to run?

Options

Replies

• Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm no Dr but I think anytime is a good time. Maybe just start off a little slower though. Take a few weeks taking walks just to get those leg muscles, tendons, and such to wake up and start getting stronger.

WOOOOOOOT!!! SEAHAWKS!

that is all
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump= bring up my post

i'd say jump right in, make sure you stretch REALLY good before hand. I am waaaay overweight and I jog :)

c25k is a good program to possibly try as well. It's a free app for your phone (c25k = couch 2 5k)
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You can jog or run now, but I would actually change one thing at a time. Start by limiting your calories to a specific number. You will lose weight just from that. After a month or so, add in the exercise.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Wow. Wasn't expecting such a great response. Thank you so much
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I started running 50lbs ago - best. decision. ever. Granted it was more like a slow jog. Running/jogging is GREAT cardio and will help in losing weight. I just took it slow - would walk a min then run a min. Eventually worked up to a mile then 3 miles then a half marathon. You can do it. Check out the Couch-to-5k program. :flowerforyou:
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how comfortable you are. I was 50 pounds over weight and still went running. It is a great workout, but i mean I wasn't very good when I started but worked my way up to it. Did my first 5k last month and felt really proud.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lookup the Couch 2 5k program. It's a 9 week program that will take you from not being a runner to running (or jogging) a 5k. It's a challenging program if you're not in shape like me, but it's doable. You don't have to complete it in 9 weeks...you can go at your own pace. Just be sure to take it slow. I made the mistake of going to fast too soon and ended up with a serious injury. If you do it right, you can run.

My fiance did the Couch to 5k PROGRAM AT 320 pounds and completed it. I would definitely say you can do whatever you put your mind to! We are redoing C25K now because I've never done it. He's 220ish and I'm 210ish -- no issues! Have fun!
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had 50lbs to lose and started my weight loss journey back in January using the Couch to 5K programs. I'm 20lbs down and have had no problems. I dove right in and haven't looked back.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I think you just need to start out small.
    My Dad is a runner and he suggested when I first started that I run for 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds and walk for 30 seconds and do that until I felt like I couldn't go on, then walk the rest of the way.
    After about 2-3 weeks of this I was jogging for the same distance I was doing that and now I run for that :)
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If it were me, Id do the elliptical machine or stairmaster to get stronger and strengthen my joints before starting to run. Running is hard on any body, and especially hard on one carrying extra weight. I do know heavy people who run but i really think the calorie burn is better from stairs and elliptical anyway.

most definately. if at all possible, i suggest starting on a treadmill so you can learn your pace. that is what i did. eliptical for muscle/joints and treadmill for mobility. once i could breeze thru 4.2m/h on the treadmil, i started running. prior i could not even run a block. period. best of luck. you will get there.
  • nerdlyness
    nerdlyness Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was 339 pounds when I started running. You move slow and you take smaller steps, but it is completely doable. I researched how to run before I started. I wanted to know the proper form, how to warm up/cool down, and what NOT TO DO while running that could cause injury. The heavier you are the more careful you have to be because that is a higher amount of weight slamming into the ground through your legs. Take it slow and make sure you are running properly (your cadence, your foot strike, not landing with your knee way ahead of your hip etc.)
  • phillipssrp
    phillipssrp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read "The Courage To Start" by John "The Penguin" Bingham

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Courage-To-Start-Running/dp/0684854554

He was overweight and a smoker and is now a Runner's World contributor
  • mauidaughter
    Options
    Start walking now but include intervals of jogging. Walk for a while then jog slowly for a short time, then go back to walking. Increase the length of your jogging intervals as you are able. Pay attention to your joints, ankles, knees and hips and don't progress too fast in the beginning. Let your body adjust to your new exercise routine so you don't injure yourself and set yourself back. Interval training is also very effective for improving cardiovascular health and endurance. Your heart gets almost as good a workout as if you were going all out instead of doing intervals. Good luck!
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    54 year old male, starting wt.: 255. So I had two things against me. I'm old AND fat! I started walking last summer and very gradually, THAT'S VERY VERY gradually started doing a slow "trot." When I became fatigued I slowed down. I use a treadmill so I tried adding incline which made me work a little harder. I ran my first 5K in March in 35:08 (the real runners will laugh at how slow that is), but I RAN/trotted the whole thing. I'm still at about 230, and finished my second run Saturday in 32:52. Still slow, but at my age, who cares! My legs hurt for a day or two afterward, but their getting better. If I would drop another 20 lbs it would help, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing so I'm sticking with it. The key for me was to take it very slowly and gradually. You can do this!
  • MyNameisJill
    MyNameisJill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No one is too fat to run.. as long as you start slow. I am working on losing the same 80 lbs post baby and running was how I did it the first time and how I shed 20 lbs towards my goal so far this time. I am currently 60-80 lbs overweight. As long as you are safe, anyone off the couch is doing better than the person too scared to start. I have worked myself up to a 12 min mile and will get back to my 8 min mile by the end of it. I would suggest looking into a learn to run program (they even have one in my community of 500 people), just to start out, but there is also good information online about posture and foot placement. I would also strongly advise investing in a darn good pair of shoes that fit not only your feet, but your gait. Dont be discouraged, its a great way to get outside and is also FREE (minus the good shoes!!). I also would look up some good runners stretches for before (to prevent injury) and after (to become more limber), especially some hip stretches. Running is for everyone.. I might not look the best doing it, but at least I am! Good luck, would love to hear how you do with it.
  • MyNameisJill
    MyNameisJill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    54 year old male, starting wt.: 255. So I had two things against me. I'm old AND fat! I started walking last summer and very gradually, THAT'S VERY VERY gradually started doing a slow "trot." When I became fatigued I slowed down. I use a treadmill so I tried adding incline which made me work a little harder. I ran my first 5K in March in 35:08 (the real runners will laugh at how slow that is), but I RAN/trotted the whole thing. I'm still at about 230, and finished my second run Saturday in 32:52. Still slow, but at my age, who cares! My legs hurt for a day or two afterward, but their getting better. If I would drop another 20 lbs it would help, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing so I'm sticking with it. The key for me was to take it very slowly and gradually. You can do this!

Good for you! You are a true inspiration.. Love to hear stories like this.
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be 120 kg and personally I started running when I got to about a 100 and 'til this date I can't say I have any joint problems.(and I don't run on a track - I run in a park where there are uphills and downhills).I ran at 120kg weight but if I can't call running for 300-500 metres and walking for 100 a run because I was going to spit my lunges out.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'd say unless you have a doctors order that you should not be running, there is no reason not too.
    I started off needing to lose 70, and I have 53 to go. I am still overweight, by a lot, but the small amount I have lost has helped me.
    I agree with previous posters that you need to take it slow.
    I have started the C25K, and at the end of week 2 I was trying so hard and over doing it, that I hurt myself and had to take a week off. So start off slow and listen to your body. Starting any new exercise routine will be difficult, and even if you are fit and conditioned, you will still have some off days! But I personally think C25K is perfect to begin a runnign regimine. Its designed for couch potatoes (HEHE!!).
    Oh, and if possible, try and get fitted for a good pair of shoes...they work wonders ;-)
    Go for it! Just do not push too hard too soon. And add me as a friend if you'd like. I would love to encourage you along the way!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says 50 pounds overweight is in no way too fat to run. But, you might want to make sure your joints are ok just because anyone can have joint problems.

I also want to give a shout out to walking. Walking is also great exercise it doesn't burn calories as quickly but, well let me show some math here.

A 30 minute jog could be a 400 calorie burn, less if you weigh less. Or you could walk an hour for the equivalent burn. But, if you can't actually run yet then it isn't a bad idea to go for the longer walk to get that amount of calories burned, especially if that is the level you are at. Or if you are me you might just walk a bit longer than the hour to get a bit more of a burn.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Tuh! I am 100+ overweight and when I get on the treadmill I jog to the best of my ability. I always break and sweat and feel great that for a moment I can jog/run even if it's for 5-10min. DO IT!