Starting Strength Training

Options
Hey,

So I'd really like to start strength training. I do a bit of stuff at the moment with dumbbells, kettlebells, etc but want to increase what I'm doing and really work all parts of my body.

I would eventually try to use the big weights in the gym but feel like I have no idea what I'd be doing with them (you probably guessed this by the fact I called them 'big weights'). Also, as depressing as it is to say, women just don't go in that area because it's so intimidating. Of course I can get past this but would like to have built up a bit of strength and confidence in what I'm doing first!

So my question is, can I get just as good a workout from using equipment such as: kettlebells, dumbbells, TRX, barbells, medicine balls, etc. Any advice on where to start? Sorry, it might be a dumb question but I'm a bit of a beginner to all this!

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    "New rules of weightlifting for women" Best place to start. Form is everything in weight lifting, you don't want to get hurt.
  • bone_arista
    Options
    Sorry I don't have an answer I just wanted to extend the question. I don't do any strength training AT ALL but would like to get started. I don't have a gym membership so at home workouts please. (Also I'm agoraphobic so don't tell me to invest in a gym membership please!)
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's really not that hard to start. I just started a couple of months ago on the machines, then graduated to free weights. NROLFW was definitely a help, but there's a million resources online to help get started. You can download the app JeFit too, that's helped immensely to see the proper form of exercises in motion, as well as seeing individual exercises for certain body parts.
  • bone_arista
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    NROLFW...Starting Strength...Strong Lifts 5x5. Basically you want to have a functional program to follow to get the most benefit. As a noob you will benefit greatly from an legit strength program that focuses on full body compound lifts. This will go a long way in changing your body composition while making strength gains and make for a good lifting foundation for moving on to different programs once you become a more intermediate lifter and can better *kitten* your lifting/strength/hypertrophy goals.

Work on form first and foremost...once you have that down, start upping the weight progressively.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's a book called Starting Strength. Buy it to learn how to do the core lifts. You can follow Stronglifts or Starting Strength as a program.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat too! I am working my way through the Stronglifts 5x5 report, but my NROLFW should be arriving this evening. I found myself watching some YouTube videos on proper deadlift techniques and barbell rows yesterday. I am excited but a little intimidated.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi Alex.

You can get a good workout with the dumbbells and kettlebell, but if you really want to start weight lifting the first thing that you need to do is find a good beginners program, watch a few videos to get an idea of the form, and then jump right in. If you wait to be “prepared” and have the confidence to start you will never do it. I know because I was in your shoes a few months ago and I’m still the only female in the weight area. You will learn as you go and if you have questions you can always come here or to one of the groups and post them. I am doing Stronglifts, but there is also Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for women. Check out the Stronglift group, everybody is awesome and will be more than happy to answer all your questions. There is also a short and easy explanation of the program posted in one group’s threads. Good luck and do it even if you are afraid, you won’t regret it.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hi Alex.

You can get a good workout with the dumbbells and kettlebell, but if you really want to start weight lifting the first thing that you need to do is find a good beginners program, watch a few videos to get an idea of the form, and then jump right in. If you wait to be “prepared” and have the confidence to start you will never do it. I know because I was in your shoes a few months ago and I’m still the only female in the weight area. You will learn as you go and if you have questions you can always come here or to one of the groups and post them. I am doing Stronglifts, but there is also Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for women. Check out the Stronglift group, everybody is awesome and will be more than happy to answer all your questions. There is also a short and easy explanation of the program posted in one group’s threads. Good luck and do it even if you are afraid, you won’t regret it.

Hey, thanks for the reply. :D It's good to know I'm not the only one. You're right, I should just go for it. I think the personal trainers at my gym all do free consultation sessions so I might do one just to get them to show me how to start! Sure it won't be scary once I've started, it's just taking that first step!!
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer and he said you'd be surprised that many of the guys working on the intimating part of the gym don't know what they're doing. We change my routine up almost every workout to strengthen all the muscle groups. Do you work with resistance bands? I bought one for my husband as he refuses to go to the gym with me. There are so many exercises you can do with them.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer and he said you'd be surprised that many of the guys working on the intimating part of the gym don't know what they're doing. We change my routine up almost every workout to strengthen all the muscle groups. Do you work with resistance bands? I bought one for my husband as he refuses to go to the gym with me. There are so many exercises you can do with them.

Haha, yeah I guess it shows if you go in there with enough confidence you can get away with it! Haven't used resistance bands before - something to try! Thanks :)