Replies

• skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Super helpful. Thank you!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nice summary, thanks for taking the time. Just curious, what is your background?

Was a bio major right out of high school, then became a paramedic. Now I'm working on my M.S. in Law and Public Policy.

Basically I (like many other people) had so many wrong ideas about fitness/nutrition growing up. It wasn't until I really "unlearned" everything I knew, and started learning this stuff that I had success.

No formal fitness/nutrition training. Everything I learned, I got from various sources. Having a medical/bio background helped!
  • ellie140
    ellie140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    what a great post! thank you:)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest and say that somebody telling me that because I'm a woman I "want to drop 20 lb by bikini season" (I'm doing this for my health), or that I should get lipo to tone up, is off-putting. You have obviously put a lot of work in to help people, and there is good information there, but ... maybe I'm just not your target audience.
  • medic2038
    Options
    I'm going to be honest and say that somebody telling me that because I'm a woman I "want to drop 20 lb by bikini season" (I'm doing this for my health), or that I should get lipo to tone up, is off-putting. You have obviously put a lot of work in to help people, and there is good information there, but ... maybe I'm just not your target audience.

Clearly you didn't read what I wrote.
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fayefern
    fayefern Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    great post! thanks!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

I did, and I meant these bits:
    Bad News for the Ladies:
    Women inherently have a larger proportion of bodyfat then men, which in turn means a generally lower proportion of LBM. LBM makes up a large part of our metabolism, so typically your deficits are going to need to be smaller and over a longer timeframe.
    So I know you WANT to drop 20lbs by bikini season, unless you spend 30 hours/week in the gym it's probably not going to happen.
    How do I tone X body part?
    Get Lipo. There's no such thing as "toning". The "lean" or "tone" look is a direct result of your bodyfat composition. The less bodyfat you have, the more "toned" you look. Doing 10,000 crunches per day isn't going to make you have a 6-pack if you're still fat.

It's aimed very much at the looks side, rather than the health side, which is not where I'm coming from. It's maybe more a writing style thing than anything, but I just thought I'd let you know how it comes across to me, personally.
  • Silver82
    Silver82 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GiinaBeanxo
    Options
    This has been endlessly helpful.

Thank you so much :)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    great summary!
  • medic2038
    Options

I did, and I meant these bits:
    Bad News for the Ladies:
    Women inherently have a larger proportion of bodyfat then men, which in turn means a generally lower proportion of LBM. LBM makes up a large part of our metabolism, so typically your deficits are going to need to be smaller and over a longer timeframe.
    So I know you WANT to drop 20lbs by bikini season, unless you spend 30 hours/week in the gym it's probably not going to happen.
    How do I tone X body part?
    Get Lipo. There's no such thing as "toning". The "lean" or "tone" look is a direct result of your bodyfat composition. The less bodyfat you have, the more "toned" you look. Doing 10,000 crunches per day isn't going to make you have a 6-pack if you're still fat.

It's aimed very much at the looks side, rather than the health side, which is not where I'm coming from. It's maybe more a writing style thing than anything, but I just thought I'd let you know how it comes across to me, personally.

You're right, this is written completely from the dietary nutrition standpoint. I used several over the top example to illustrate some of my points, I was just being facetious.

"Health" is too much of a relative/subjective term to really be all encompassing. There's really hundreds of things a person can do to be "healthier" and have nothing at all to do with diet.

However there truly is only 2 ways to look "toned":
    1. Drop bodyfat
    2. Get surgery.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    AMENNNNNNNN
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    Great info, thank you!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. :)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options

One other method is bodyweight X10-12 to create a deficit. So if you weigh 150lbs you can GENERALLY eat 1500-1800 calories per day and be at a deficit.

So I looked here because I have sort of hit a plateau.
    Since the beginning the calorie calculating method I quoted above has basically been my method. (Just the x10, not highter)
    But now that I weigh less it seems to not work so well.

My thought was that my body got used to eating so little. So I'm bumping up my calories over the past few weeks.
    Going to BW x 11 seems to have helped a little but I won't know for sure until more time has passed.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this as well?
    insight from shorties greatly appreciated! (I'm 5'1")
  • swastikas
    Options
    Great information!