How do you know how fast your walking?

Options
I wish I knew how fast I was walking when I go out for my walks at lunch time. I have no fancy gadets either to help me..How do you guys know? Should I just guestimate?

Replies

• bone_arista
    Options
    I guesstimate. Imagine you're walking a dog, and walk that fast. That's the speed I use.. but you can also buy a pedometer. They can be cheap or really expensive depending on what you want from it.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    You have a smartphone, yes? Download the free app "MapMyWalk". It will tell you your calories burned and average speed, as well as map the route you took.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Time it with your watch or phone, then map it someplace like www.gmap-pedometer.com and then plug it into an online calculator.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a smartphone, try Googling a map of your neighborhood. Map out a mile and walk it at your regular pace. That will give you an idea!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ app and it tells me...you have internet so you could use "map my run" on your computer and map out your route to see how long it is and then calculate it based on how long it takes you to do it. Ex) if your map route is 1 mile and you do it in 20 minutes you are moving at 3.0 MPH.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually have a friend of mine accompany me on my walks.

He drives a car at the speed that i am walking and tells me how fast I am going.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

He drives a car at the speed that i am walking and tells me how fast I am going.

By friend, do you mean creepy, curb-crawling stalker.

And by creepy, curb-crawling stalker do you mean Iulia?
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

he is the dog in this situation (just providing a visual for those of you who are confused)

78n6HnO.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Another option ...... do you listen to music when you walk?

Beats Per Minute (BPM) will give you your walking speed .... http://jog.fm/

Example: A 15 minute mile (60/15=4 MPH) .... is in the low to mid 140's range ... The Kinks You Really Got Me is 142

Search for a song & find your walking speed
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Go to a running track and walk at your normal pace. See how many minutes it takes to walk 4 laps (1 mile). Divide 60, by the number of minutes it took you, and that's your miles per hour.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I was using a sextant but that gets more difficult during cloudy days so I switched to RunKeeper.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I do it the old fashioned way. I drive the route in my car to find out the mileage and then figure out the speed based on my time. We have some great neighborhood routes; around my block is an exact half mile.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I do it the old fashioned way. I drive the route in my car to find out the mileage and then figure out the speed based on my time. We have some great neighborhood routes; around my block is an exact half mile.

This is what I did too when I started.Now I have a couple different pedometers and I'm getting my HRM next week
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. And I do not have a smartphone, I have just your basic everyday usage phone, LOL.
  • cucsmom
    cucsmom Posts: 3
    Options
    Endomondo is a good app to use. It tells you everything using GPS on your phone