Transitioning from Treadmill to pavement

Options
2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I had to train for a half-marathon on a treadmil because I was training over the winter and cold triggers my asthma (thank goodness my race was in Florida). I found it really helpful to increase my incline every 5 minutes and then back down again. For example for a 30 minute run...
    0-5min: Incline 1
    5-10min: Incline 2
    10-15min: Incline 3
    15-20min: Incline 2
    20-25min: Incline 1
    25-29min: Incline 0
    29-30min: Incline 0 but sprint

If you wanted to run longer than 30 minutes, just keep going with the pattern. I was really worried about training on the treadmill but then running 13.1 miles on the road. Luckily my course was fairly flat, but I had no problems running my race with this method of training.

This is a really good idea. This allows you to hit the muscles at different angles as you run. It's unfortunate that most treadmills don't have a decline option as that would be a good thing to practice as well. Running on unchanging flat surfaces makes my legs more tired than running a hilly route.
  • ChadWGreen
    ChadWGreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I agree with the speed issue, that was my problem as well. I run much faster outside still.

As far as shin splints and knee issues, make sure you have proper shoes, you may want knee braces aor possibly compression, especially for the spilnts. I had them as well and there are stretches that help a lot, calf sleeves or compression knee socks BUT most pain is cause by tightness in certain muscles so a foam roller helps a lot. When my knees give me problems I roll my legs out and it cures it.

Give your body time to adjust to the impact and try to be very conscious of your speed. Sometimes using an altered version of C25K for transition helps as well as running with someone and talking while you run. You should always be able to hold a conversation.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Interesting as I find treadmill running a lot harder on my knees than running outside on a trail or road...I avoid stationary machines of any kind (have my bicycle and my legs and feet!)

Um, maybe take a few steps back in the programme and do from there outside. It is far nicer in the fresh air, the sun, the sounds around you...
  • emerald120
    emerald120 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Go get fitted for some legit running shoes at a real store where they train the employees to analyze your gait and foot. (Tell them your shin splints problem, any localized soreness after running, etc.) Let them know your goals, and try on like a million pairs until you find what makes you feel like you're running on air (seriously, the right shoe can make a huge difference).

When you go to run on pavement, don't try to do speedwork until you are used to it. It's a very different feel, and you don't get any help from the treadmill when you run anymore - you'll use some new muscles and it'll take a little time for them to adjust!

Don't forget to stretch!

Man, I have the opposite problem - treadmills give me hella shinsplints and calf soreness so I just started running in the cold this winter, lol.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted for some legit running shoes at a real store where they train the employees to analyze your gait and foot. (Tell them your shin splints problem, any localized soreness after running, etc.) Let them know your goals, and try on like a million pairs until you find what makes you feel like you're running on air (seriously, the right shoe can make a huge difference).

I can't second this enough!! I just spent 90 minutes getting fitted for a new pair of running shoes last Saturday. I tried on at least 10 pair, got on the treadmill with several of them, had a video of my gait done so we could review it, and then tried several different inserts until i found the right ones. Proper shoes will make all the difference in the world.

I also agree about the stretching. i do 40 minutes of yoga before I head out to limber up. On the rare morning when I skip that step, boy do I feel it.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm wanting to prepare for my first 5k in two months. I am at week 8 with c25k, that I have been doing on the treadmill. I have done the c25k once before last year and I tried it on pavement but didn't get through it as some health issues came up, thus why I started again. (I had to quit working out all together for a couple of months, and then slowly get back to somethings, finally im being able to run again.) I remember how much more difficult it was on the pavement than on the treadmill, but I think mostly because of not running the same speed, which actually is not much more than a jog. I remember too that the shin splints which I worked so hard to get past just to run on the treadmill were coming back again. And I also remember times that my knees felt like they were going to blow out.

Any advice on transitioning so I can run this 5k and hopefully one day do more, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you are getting shin splints and your knees hurt, you are probably over-striding.

"When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long."

From here: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form

edit: google will turn up lots of running form articles. Here is another helpful one: http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-form.html
    Good luck!
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone! While running today for 28 min on treadmill, I was not feeling so confidant about this, but I feel a lot better after reading your replies. Just to get to running on treadmill and succeeding through c25k the first time, I had to find the shoes I have now, and find some great stretches, even ones for shin splints and knees. I definitely feel pacing myself, and watching my stride will make a difference on the pavement, and I will take it a bit slower than when I tried it last year, I just jumped into it full speed ahead after finishing c25k on the treadmill and feeling like I could do anything. lol. We have lots of great places to run around here, some flatter than others and some a good mix of everything. Where the actual 5k is pretty far away so I won't be making regular trips there, but I want to go a couple times before just to have an idea of where I am, what to expect and where I need to be.