GETTING UPSET AND DISCOURAGED :'-(

Options
Could someone please offer some advice in regards to what I'm doing wrong or may need to do to lose some more weight? Strangely enough I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough. I track my progress/eating on MyFitnessPal and they've allotted me 1650 calories to each each day which I typcially consume during the day prior to working out. During my workouts I'm burning at least 1200-1400 calories each time (4-5 days/week). However, I'm seeing very minimal results to no results on the scale at the end of each week. I generally workout after work and by the time I get home I usually don't eat because it's late and I know I'll be going to sleep soon. Please help as I'm getting very frustrated and discouraged. My eating has changed so drastically for the better to the point that I can barely stomach foods that I was eating prior to this journey. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    That's quite a burn. Are you using a fitbit or a HRM to get an accurate number on your burn?
    Have you kept track of measurements? I've lost one pound this month but have lost lots of inches. I've found that when I work out less I lose pounds. When I work out harder and lift weights I lose inches.
    How long have you been doing this?
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're likely overestimating your calories burned through exercise (or underestimating calories consumed). You'd have to be doing a few hours of REALLY intense activity to be burning those figures, and that's assuming your LBM is high. Try adjusting your TDEE based on sedentary energy expenditure for a week, log only calories consumed (not calories assumed burned through exercise) and see what happens. Finding your true calorie needs is often about trial and error, not whatever MFP allots you.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I NEVER OVERESTIMATE AND I DO SET IT TO LOW OR MODERATE. HOWEVER I AM ON THE HEAVIER SIDE SO THE MORE SOMEONE WEIGHS THE MORE THEY BURN. I'M JUST WONDERING IF MY DILEMMA IS THAT I DON'T EAT ENOUGH (WHICH SOUNDS CRAZY) OR THE FACT THAT I'M NOT EATING AFTER I WORKOUT :-/
  • MyNameisJill
    MyNameisJill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should be measuring inches lost? Sometimes the scales have it all wrong and you really are losing, but gaining muscle and drinking more water! Are your clothes fitting better? I find that sometimes the scales go up and down (and I have a hugely bad habit of checking every day - don't judge, I know it is a very bad habit).. but I am still feeling better because I have been going down a size slowly but surely. If it was supremely easy to get it off, we would all have a great weigh-in every week!
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I would say that you're not eating enough. Your buring off just about everything you eat. When you only net so few calories for the day, your body thinks it won't get the nutrients it needs, and begins to store what you eat. I would eat some of those back. That was a hard pill for me to swallow, but I saw a difference once I began eating some of what I worked off. Good luck!!!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i have a feeling you are not eating enough, if you burn it all off....
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    Find ur TDEE. Decrease ur calories by 500 and ur set.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I NEVER OVERESTIMATE AND I DO SET IT TO LOW OR MODERATE. HOWEVER I AM ON THE HEAVIER SIDE SO THE MORE SOMEONE WEIGHS THE MORE THEY BURN. I'M JUST WONDERING IF MY DILEMMA IS THAT I DON'T EAT ENOUGH (WHICH SOUNDS CRAZY) OR THE FACT THAT I'M NOT EATING AFTER I WORKOUT :-/

If you aren't using a HRM never say never. No reason to get defensive about estimating. People are only trying to help because you asked for it.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would say that you're not eating enough. Your buring off just about everything you eat. When you only net so few calories for the day, your body thinks it won't get the nutrients it needs, and begins to store what you eat. I would eat some of those back. That was a hard pill for me to swallow, but I saw a difference once I began eating some of what I worked off. Good luck!!!

This. You should eat back at least some of what you burn, that's why you're allowed more calories when you work out. Don't get discouraged, every hits a wall once in a while! Just don't stop your good habits girl! Are you changing up your work out at all?
  • nicetymello
    Options
    HAHAHA! I CHECK EVERYDAY TOO WHICH IS TORTURE BUT IT CAN BE BENEFICIAL IN LETTING YOU KNOW WHERE YOU WENT WRONG THE DAY BEFORE TOO
  • nicetymello
    Options
    WHAT IS TDEE?
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're not eating enough. You need to Eat BIG and Eat Clean! You should TOTALLY eat something after your workout. They say you have one hour to eat something or your workout is pretty much wasted. I usually have a protein shake after my workout. Sometimes I just mix the powder w/ water and drink it like that. You HAVE to eat after your workout, no matter how late it is. Eat frequent meals throughout the day. If you're not eating enough, you're just losing your muscle. And it's much harder to build muscle then lose fat. Make sure you incorporate weights to your workouts. I don't know what time of cardio you're doing, but make sure you're raising your heart rate and going HARD. SHORT and HARD (sprints/jump rope) is much better then going LONG and SOFT (Jogging/ ellpiticals). Just passing along some info that was giving to me from a trainer. It's woking good for me thus far. :)
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I'M THINKING THAT MAY BE IT TOO BUT THAT IS SO HARD FOR ME TO WRAP MY MIND AROUND BUT I'M GOING TO TRY IT THIS WEEK. IT'S SUCH AS OXYMORON TO EAT MORE WHEN I'M TRYING TO LOSE. WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT THAT? LOL
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you are not burning anything close to 1200-1400. Sorry but those numbers are way off. You are likely burning closer to 500.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I'M NOT GETTING DEFENSIVE (I HAVE CAPS ON BECAUSE I'M AT WORK...JUST A HABIT). I APPRECIATE THE INPUT! HOWEVER I DON'T OVERESTIMATE CALORIES BURNED AND I GENERALLY DO GO WITH THE LESSER AMOUNT AND STILL COME UP WITH HIGH NUMBERS.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    where are you getting this 1200-1400 calorie burn estimate?
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I AM STARTING TOO NOW. I JUST GOT A TRAINER. I'VE BEEN DOING NOTHING BUT CARDIO AND NO WEIGHTS AT ALL. SO I'LL SEE WHAT TYPE OF RESULTS I GET NOW THAT WEIGHTS WILL BE INVOLVED BUT THAT'S GOING TO ADD WEIGHT TOO SINCE MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT :-/
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I DOUBT THAT! TRUST ME MY WORKOUTS ARE INTENSE AND I'M HEAVIER...500 CALORIES IS EXTREMELY LOW BALLING IT!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things. First make sure you're "being real" with your food logging - and I mean "down to the condiments" (if you have chicken nuggets with honey mustard dipping sauce, you have to count the dipping sauce too).

Be careful how you log your activity and try to refrain from "eating back your calories" unless you're training for a marathon or triathalon or something.

Double check the stats on your numbers for proteins, carbs, fats, fiber, etc. Make sure MFP is calculating them the most appropriate way for you.

I've also discovered that on Weight Watchers, they allow me a little more food than MFP does - so I shoot for a happy medium between what MFP tells me and what WW allows me.

Make sure you check your salt intake - it could be making you hold onto water.

Make sure you check your fiber intake - more fiber the better.

A nutritionist once told me to focus on lean/healthy proteins and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty much on target. I've also found that the better qualify of food you have (as others have said "eating clean"), the more of it you can have. There are weeks I've gone over on that, and still lost because what I ate was of high enough quality.

Just some thoughts - for what it's worth.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'M NOT GETTING DEFENSIVE (I HAVE CAPS ON BECAUSE I'M AT WORK...JUST A HABIT). I APPRECIATE THE INPUT! HOWEVER I DON'T OVERESTIMATE CALORIES BURNED AND I GENERALLY DO GO WITH THE LESSER AMOUNT AND STILL COME UP WITH HIGH NUMBERS.

So you don't use a Heart Rate Monitor? BodyBugg? BodyMeadia?