Intermittent, higher calorie days

Options
My usual MFP goal is 1200/day net - but I was having trouble staying in line for more than 6 days in a row. So today, after my 4th day under 1200, I'm allowing myself a 1500 calorie net.

Has anyone else had any luck with this type of approach? (Or failed?)

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's fine, take the average.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I feel like I usually eat more on the weekends... staying up late and not having to work makes me wanna eat haha. So I'm in the same boat as you!
    My usual MFP goal is 1200/day net - but I was having trouble staying in line for more than 6 days in a row. So today, after my 4th day under 1200, I'm allowing myself a 1500 calorie net.

Has anyone else had any luck with this type of approach? (Or failed?)
  • Aleysia87
    Aleysia87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty normal to have a higher calorie refeed/cheat/whatever-else-people-call-it day to boost metabolism, preserve your sanity, and refill muscle glycogen.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I do not set myself a goal of doing this, it jsut sort of happens through my daily life. Things come up, I get busier with something else, I am hungrier one day, I had plans to go to the gym and then something happened, I had plans to only have one beer and then something happened-this is the most common:) so this happens to me throughout the week anyway. i do not have one set day that i am going to go over it just happens...i use the average through the week and have had no problems as long as i keep it in check-and sometimes it does happen two or three times in a week, and i do my best to make up for that on other days.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain a deficit you will still lose regardless.

So at 1500 you are probably still at a decent deficit so why not do it two days a week so that you can zig zag a little, and just an extra 1/2 hour of exercise (medium to high effort) would burn all those extra calories you ate if you want to net 1200 :)
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
    It's fine, take the average.

^^^ This. I generally average my intake across the week but I log every day so I can keep an eye on what's going on.

If I know I'm going to have a couple of glasses of wine on a Friday, I might make a point to eat less on a day I'm not so active. If a social occasion catches me by surprise, I make sure to throw in an extra exercise session in the next few days after. Only thing I'm strict with is to average out at a caloric deficit without starving myself.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually have a high calorie day on Friday as that is my night to go out to eat, but then on Saturday I'm usually at a deficit because it is my big workout day. But yeah, I need a few days a week above 1,200 net.