Found out I'm derranged today...

Options
... metabolically. ;)

So I got my RMR tested by gas exchange and the results were 675!! I just about threw the results back at the tester because I was honestly expecting a high metabolic rate.

For those of you familiar with RMR tests, my question is does this result make sense with my history? and what sorts of things can give such a low reading?

To give you my background, I found myfitness pal because I've been gaining weight slowly but steadily after college, and I wanted that to stop. I'm already a healthy weight-- it was purely vanity pounds I wanted to lose. I'm 25, 5'5" and 118 lbs, BF 18%. I just wanted to go down to my college average weight of 114. My estimated BMR using various websites was around 1350.

To be honest, I know I overeat. I've never done a VLCD. In college I overate, too, but that's why I figured I had a relatively high metabolism. The reason I was gaining now, I guessed, was because I was little older and less active. Don't bother looking at my diary because I've fallen off the wagon in logging these past couple weeks. But when I was keeping careful track of my calories, I was initially losing at about 1400-1500 gross, with doing 30-45 minutes of moderate exercise daily. I was pretty much down to where I wanted to be at 116 lbs. After I added the 30 DS, I got really hungry, and I was having some issues with work, I fell off the wagon... I'm easily consuming over 2000.

I don't get it. With results like that, why am I not obese? Do I trust it? BTW, there is no way in hell I'll be able to net 675 cals a day to lose the last of my vanity pounds... I'd end up eating my arm.

Replies

• cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump. anyone?
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Some of the gas exchange metabolic testers are absolutely wrong. Do a Google Search to see which option they used on you. Mine was 1106 and done with the Maple Leaf testing equipment. Do you know which one they used on you?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont understand most of what you are asking LOL
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Can you have it rechecked? I know someone else who recently had a crazy low number and once they retested, they got a much more reasonable result...
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    i dont understand most of what you are asking LOL

Same. Sounds like a lot of rambling.
  • Bekahmardis
    Options
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Just eat food consistently, and adjust based on the progress you want. If you gain 1lb per week of fat consistently, then cut back 3500 calories for the week and try again.
  • Bekahmardis
    Options
    My bad, mine was done with "New Leaf" equipment, not maple leaf. LOL! The other two main contenders are Korr and FitMate. Basically, it's just different companies that make the machines to do the testing. Be sure the person doing the testing knows what they are doing as well, or you'll get really skewed results!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't know what equipment they used. There really isn't a convenient place around here to get another test. But I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Darn, really wish I would've read the website before getting the test!