Low Carb High Protein

Options
I am starting strength training soon and have been advised to start a low carb high protein diet.

However I need some recipe ideas and some snacks. I also struggle to eat all the calories without binging on high carb foods.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing! Since I follow paleo (high protein) I've been getting better at packing low carb snacks. Usually I stick with hard boiled eggs or raw nuts (often an apple or berries too). For meals I usually have fish with veggies but have gotten creative with cauliflower pizza crust, omelets and paleo pancakes (eggs with pumpkin and spices). Looking forward to hearing some other ideas!
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    I love my bfast of wholegrain toast with nutella and banana I would be sads to see it go...cannot stand peanuts/ or any nuts so thats out. But mmmmmmmmm omelettes and egg dishes...I eat alot of stuff like that in the summer. Right I am making a list.
  • neretete
    neretete Posts: 30
    Options
    I really like mini quiches. Take a box of frozen spinach. Thaw it and pat it dry. Mix it in a cup of egg beaters and like a half cup milk. Add turkey bacon and a half cup shredded cheese. You can also add a few other veggies, mushhrooms, etc. Put it in muffin tins and bake. (I can't remember the temp since I'm at work, but I think it's like 400 for 15 minutes.) It should make 12, though I usually get about 10.
  • Kbeers81
    Kbeers81 Posts: 10
    Options
    The low carb, high protein is a bunch of bs!!!!!!!! You NEED carbs for strength I was putting in about 450-500 grams of carbs a day on my bulk and my strength went up the roof. Yes, I did put on some body fat, but not much. You will not be putting in the amount of cals I went up to. Tell whoever told you that to piss up a rope. Find a GOOD macronutrient ratio that works for you!!!! For example, i'm on a 40/40/20 split: carbs/protein/fat. This works wonders for me. Do NOT listen to these dip****s tell you about low carb, high protein. Eat an awesome balanced diet and get from all three sources. You will see an awesome spike in strength. The issue w/ low carb is this: ONE day you will HAVE to come off of it. Then what? Know what I'm saying?
  • Kbeers81
    Options
    Also too, we do not diet. We choose a different lifestyle. This is why there are so many "crash" diets that just do not work.
  • veepie
    Options
    kbeers81........I am on a lower carb diet.....and mine works out at 40/40/20. But thanks for your input...
  • Kbeers81
    Options
    veepie, i'm not saying it won't work, but what i'm telling you is there are more efficient ways of going to achieve the same outcome.
  • veepie
    Options
    And I am saying...my lower carb diet is a 40/40/20///which is what you have recommended. Previous carb *kitten*...so that is low for me.
  • Kbeers81
    Options
    And I am saying...my lower carb diet is a 40/40/20///which is what you have recommended. Previous carb *kitten*...so that is low for me.

Okay...awesome! I wish I knew about nutrition two years ago what I know now. I'd be further along. I wish I found this site two years ago!!!!!! It's so much trial and error. This crap is a science lol
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been following a protein-heavy diet for nearly 6 months. I also view it as a lifestyle change and not for the short-term (much of this is due to a sensitivity I have to gluten..and it hasn't been difficult, just an adjustment). I focus on getting carbs from fruit, veggies and nuts while avoiding grains. Thus, I refer to it as a low-grain lifestyle that encourages high protein, rather than low carb (though my carbs are usually 100g or less).
    I don't have a lot of dairy but cottage cheese, cheese sticks and Greek yogurt are very good options. Some people have mixed feelings on protein powders but in the summer I love a protein shake with organic protein mix (I use wegman's natural vanilla), frozen fruit, spinach and water. Delicious!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I too love a good clean protein powder that is easily digestable and doesn't cause gas and bloating. I really like Sun Warrior protein powder, and recently tried the Tone It Up Girl's protein powder which is pretty good. I use the powders for shakes mixed with almond, coconut, or hemp milk... sometimes I add in flax or chia seeds (or both) and frozen or fresh fruit. I also make protein pancakes, protein bars, etc.... Do a search for clean protein ____ recipes and you'll find oodles to choose from. One of my faves is the Chocolate Coconut Protein Bars by babycakeshealthyeats.com - so good!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cutting out carbs, but rather making smart choices with them. Whole grains (oatmeal and quinoa are staples in my diet--I have 4-6 servings combined per week), Greek yogurt, and plenty of fresh vegetables. Limit or better yet cut out fruit, fried foods, added sugars, processed grains, etc.

My diet is pretty much a 40/30/30 mix of good carbs, lean proteins, and "good" fats like fish and olive oils. That varies week to week, I eat what I want as long as it's healthy and falls into my calorie goals.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The low carb, high protein is a bunch of bs!!!!!!!! You NEED carbs for strength I was putting in about 450-500 grams of carbs a day on my bulk and my strength went up the roof. Yes, I did put on some body fat, but not much. You will not be putting in the amount of cals I went up to. Tell whoever told you that to piss up a rope. Find a GOOD macronutrient ratio that works for you!!!! For example, i'm on a 40/40/20 split: carbs/protein/fat. This works wonders for me. Do NOT listen to these dip****s tell you about low carb, high protein. Eat an awesome balanced diet and get from all three sources. You will see an awesome spike in strength. The issue w/ low carb is this: ONE day you will HAVE to come off of it. Then what? Know what I'm saying?

[Citation Needed]

Do you have any scientific sources that state increasing protein does not provide better results than a standard diet? I would enjoy reading that.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also really like mini quiche dishes. It's great for all leftover veggies. I like celery with dips like hummus or white bean spread. I use lettuce instead of bread for sandwiches. I eat a lot of meat. I love turkey burgers, tuna steaks, chicken, and some red meat. I found quinoa is a great option for me - more filling than rice or pasta. There's a lot of blogs out there on paleo that offer some good suggestions.
  • veepie
    Options
    This is all great thank-you so much. My child has Hirschprungs Disease which from research would also benefit from a 40/40/20. Also looking for some higher calorie treats for him. As he is a child. We steer away from red meat as he can digest it well just like me.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

strong understanding of how the human body works.
    being in a caloric excess will help in strength. if she is trying to lose weight it is much more ideal to reach adequate protein and fat intake. the rest is dispersed among the macronutrients as you please.
    Why do you think you need to consume 500 grams of carbohydrates?
    that is 2000 calories alone from carbs so you are consuming another 2000 from protein?
    and then fat?
    lol

@veepie
    40/40/20 is not a low carb diet and it is not a diet for hirschprungs.
    Diet for that is a higher bulk and adequate fluid intake to allow the proper passage through the colon.
  • veepie
    Options
    If you re-read what I wrote. I said 40/40/20.....is lower carb for ME. As in compared to what I previously ate.

I am a Paediatric Nurse and my son has had hirschprungs all his life he is almost 7.

Low residue foods. So basically clean eating is what is recommended to enable him to pass things better.
    I appreciate your input. Whether you have a medical background or not. This is something that works for my son and what we have been sorta doing for the past 4/5 years.

I wish people would actually read and take in what i type.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My favourite high protein snack is chocolate greek yoghurt with peanut butter.

I just melt some really high cocoa content chocolate (about 90% cocoa, 10g per serving) then mix in about 150g of greek yoghurt.

Once everything is mixed up, I put it in a bowl, measure out some peanut butter (or other nut buter) on a spoon then mix it in and go to town.

I find it really satisfying as is but if you want something sweeter you can put some sweeteners in it.

Also cottage cheese is a good source of protein. I usually just eat it with some cucumber or pile it on a cracker. Also really great on a baked sweet potato

You might need to think out of the box on what a traditional snack is a bit. I read a tip about cooking up a tray of chicken thighs and just nibbling one fo those as a snack, which im planning to give a go this week.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if my diet constitutes low carb because it's a balanced diet with a fairly high protein intake.
  • veepie
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) xx