Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• justfine2009
    justfine2009 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like adding a little cinnamon and splenda to my non-fat cottage cheese.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    peaches, strawberries, crushed pineapple for the sweet side, even honey and granola. Savory options, I add it to eggs for scrambled or omelet, yum. I add it to my strawberry balsamic vinaigrette spring mix salad, ( cut up turkey breast, strawberries, cottage cheese, balsamic vinaigrette and a big bowl of spring mix. Use in place of mayo, cheese, plain yogurt, sour cream, lots of options.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Heat it up and put it over seasoned chicken breast for a dinner high in protein
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    A lot of people eat it with fruit (peaches, blueberries, strawberries, ect). I put a little cinnamon on mine and eat them with some fruit and a little granola for an afternoon snack for that energy boost.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had never eaten it before either but have found that I like the ones with pineapple in them. I will have to try these other suggestions as well.
  • erika37211
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but I promise it's good. But if you don't eat cottage cheese normally, try it plain first. My grandmother makes it with paprika, pepper, salt, chives, and fresh minced onions. You eat it with a plain boiled potato. The temperature and texture combo is delicious. Most people think it sounds disgusting, but I have a friend who loves it. She's eaten in since she was a little girl in Germany. It is my favorite way to eat it. However my grandmother also needs to be the one to make it for you, since she's the best :)
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I mix it through tuna, with a red onion and then use it as a filling for a jacket potato. I also mix it through salad and put it in a Pita bread. Mixed through tuna is my favourite though :)

this is a brilliant alternative to mayo in your tuna. Thanks for sharing that, I never would have tried it on my own!

edited to add, the Dutch eat cottage cheese (Hutten Case) on bread, as a spread!
  • yomikeya
    yomikeya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thought it was disgusting because of the way it looks but my girlfriend convinced me to try it and I love it. It fills you up and has a ton of protein. I get the fat-free low-salt stuff. Mix in a bunch of dill, some garlic powder, pepper and a dash of hot sauce. (You see a ton of fruity recipes but not many savory). I eat this every day for a mid-afternoon snack with saltines. It's awesome and since I started eating it I've lost 5 pounds. There are def other reasons for the lost weight too, but it helps a ton by keeping me full and satisfying my craving for something hearty after a good workout or during the 2 pm slowdown.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Dice a tomato, add pepper. Enjoy!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    had to reply because I Love cottage cheese. I have since I was a kid!
    I have to eat the lactose free kind now, but whatever.

I eat it plain, with a spoon.
    Sometimes I eat crackers with it, some tomatoes.... I like to have some meat along with it as a super snack (chicken breast or turkey breast meat).

I'm not into fruit at all but I get told to mix it with fruit ALL THE TIME.
    Cheese and fruit? umm.... I guess.

A friend of mine puts it in her smoothies (like, instead of yogurt).
    Another friend of mine would eat a whole container of it - along with canned pineapple- as his lunch when he was weight training. Makes sense. Lots of good calories there, right?

My diary is open so you can see I log CC a lot.

I find it has a lot of protein, is low fat, low sugar, low carbs...

I like protein shakes and stuff but I can't maintain those. They are $$ (since I need to get non-whey ones) and they tend to stop me up anyway (sexy!!).
  • lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love it with a splash of Dasani Drops flavor enhancer. Strawberry kiwi is yummy. I know they are made for water, but they work really well to flavor cottage cheese and greek yogurt!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost everyday for breakfast. I like 1/2 a cup with a cup of frozen strawberries or pineapple. I just put the strawberries in a tupperware container then plop the cottage cheese on top. By the time I get to work it's almost thawed, I love it for a quick low cal yummy breakfast.
    You can also use it in place of ricotta in lasagna.
    I have also had it with scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach.
    You can also add it to smoothies or on a baked sweet potato.
    I have also mixed it with chopped chives and ate it as a dip with crackers or raw veggies.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I mix it in with my scrambled eggs before putting them in the pan. The cheese melts nice and makes the eggs fluffier. I also add a bit of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can make a low fat cheesecake with it.
  • fightingthefood
    Options
    I like it with pineapple tidbits and cayenne pepper. Makes it sweet and spicy.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    i love cottage cheese on rice cakes or jacket potato or with a salad. never new there was so much you could do with it, and on oatcakes yummy
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You can eat cottage cheese with fruit or I like to sprinkly mine with a tiny amount of salt and pepper. I actually use cottage cheese in my lasagna because I don't care for the taste of ricotta.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like it with fruit ( here they sell cottage cheese doubles, already packages with fruit-peaches!) Also like it with dill pickles, and black pepper, and for a real treat sometimes diced salami in it too. I also use it in place of ricotta cheese in my lasagnas.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes eat it with greek yogurt (one part to two parts cottage cheese), green onions, and a little salt and pepper. Let it sit for 20 mins in the fridge then put it over hot noodles or hot spaghetti squash. Doesn't sound good but it taste so good especially during my more hormonal times of the month. :wink:
  • SewBethy
    SewBethy Posts: 16
    Options
    I like it sprinkled liberally with the original Mrs. Dash salt-free spice blend.