GETTING UPSET AND DISCOURAGED :'-(

Options

Replies

• nicetymello
    Options
    I TYPCIALLY DO CYCLING CLASSES, TREADMILL, ELLIPTICAL, STAIRS MASTER, HIKING, STEP CLASSES, ETC (NOT ALL IN THE SAME NIGHT THOUGH) USUALLY AT LEAST 3 OF THESE IN 1 DAY WORKOUT BUT NO WEIGHTS AS OF YET...ALL CARDIO. I JUST GOT A TRAINER SO I'M GOING TO SEE HOW THINGS WORK OUT WITH HIM. I'M GOING TO TRY EATING MORE AFTER MY WORKOUT AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS FOR ME THIS WEEK. THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT :-)
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I DO USE A MONTIOR...THAT'S HOW I GET MY CALCULATIONS WHICH ARE PRETTY IN LINE (OR NOT TOO FAR OFF) FROM WHAT THE MACHINE SAYS AS WELL. THE MACHINE IS GENERALLY A LITTLE HIGHER.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I DO USE A MONTIOR...THAT'S HOW I GET MY CALCULATIONS WHICH ARE PRETTY IN LINE (OR NOT TOO FAR OFF) FROM WHAT THE MACHINE SAYS AS WELL. THE MACHINE IS GENERALLY A LITTLE HIGHER.

Just curious but how many hours does it take you to burn the 1200-1400 calories?
  • nicetymello
    Options
    HONESTLY I'M DOING WW TOO WHICH MAKES ME HAVE TO LOG EVERY LITTLE THING THAT I PUT IN MY MOUTH. THAT'S TYPICALLY WHY I DON'T EAT AFTER MY WORKOUT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO EAT BACK MY CALORIES BUT MY WORKOUTS ARE SO INTENSE THAT I THINK I SHOULD EAT SOME BACK BECAUSE I'M USUALLY STARVING AFTER I LEFT THE GYM AS IF I HAVEN'T EATEN ANYTHING ALL DAY EVEN THOUGH I HAD EATEN ALL MY POINTS GIVEN FOR THE DAY PRIOR TO WORKING OUT. I'LL DEFINITELY INCORPORATE MORE PROTEINS AND GOOD FIBER. THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT :-)
  • nellyk711
    Options
    I would say to eat more calories. Clean Calories.
    I Use a HRM as well, and there are times that after a good 45 minutes jogging session on my incline treadmill, I've burnt up to 700 calories. I know when I do P90X I can easily burn 500-600 calories per cardio workout. IT's really NOT hard to do, as long as you are putting work into your workout!!!
    Even if you eat back just 500 of them, but you have to remember to eat clean...this is something I've been trying to do more of...it's hard, but it's worth it as I see the pounds slowly coming off!
    Good Luck!!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    BUT THAT'S GOING TO ADD WEIGHT TOO SINCE MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT :-/

Sorry - muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!! 1 pound of muscle equals one pound of fat. That's it. Muscle takes up less VOLUME in your bod, but it doesn't add weight, especially for a woman (one exception - if you are a body builder). You might see a slow in weight loss because you are building muscle, but you certainly shouldn't see a gain, except for temporary water retention while your muscles repair themselves. You should, however, see inches lost if you are taking measurements. But, again, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!!!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I DOUBT THAT! TRUST ME MY WORKOUTS ARE INTENSE AND I'M HEAVIER...500 CALORIES IS EXTREMELY LOW BALLING IT!

Also, MFP overestimates exercise calories - by quite a bit. Unless you are using an HRM (heart rate monitor) for a truly accurate calorie count, take the MFP numbers with a serious grain of salt. It is *really* hard to burn 1200-1400 calories in a work out (and I'm a big girl as well). That could maybe be part of your problem. MFP told me I burned over 900 calories on a 5.5-mile (2-hour) hike on Sunday. There is no way I burned that many - I burned maybe 1/2 that (I don't have an HRM, so I have to guesstimate based on my exertion level, but my exertion level was nowhere near 900 calories burned!).
  • nicetymello
    Options
    THANK YOU! I'M GLAD SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS WHERE I'M COMING FROM. IT'S NOT HARD TO BURN A BUNCH OF CALORIES DURING A WORKOUT AND ESPECIALLY IN MY CASE BECAUSE I WEIGH MORE AND LORD KNOW I PUT IN WORK. I'M GOING TO EAT CLEAN AFTER MY WORKOUTS THIS WEEK AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT AND UNDERSTANDING...GREATLY APPRECIATED :-)
  • nicetymello
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR THE CLARIFICATION. THAT'S SOMETHING I'VE ALWAYS HEARD :-/
  • nicetymello
    Options
    PLEASE DON'T PATRONIZE ME BECAUSE I AM STARTING TO GET DEFENSIVE NOW. I AM ASKING FOR HELP AND BEING HONEST ABOUT WHAT I'M DOING BUT APPARENTLY IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU'RE PRESENT DOING MY ROUTINES SINCE YOU SEEM TO KNOW SO MUCH AND BELIEVE THE CONTRARY TO EVERYTHING I'M STATING. SO BY ALL MEANS PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG IT'S TAKING ME TO BURN THE AMOUNT OF CALORIES I STATED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT BUT NO THANKS. HAVE A GREAT DAY!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DON'T PATRONIZE ME BECAUSE I AM STARTING TO GET DEFENSIVE NOW. I AM ASKING FOR HELP AND BEING HONEST ABOUT WHAT I'M DOING BUT APPARENTLY IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU'RE PRESENT DOING MY ROUTINES SINCE YOU SEEM TO KNOW SO MUCH AND BELIEVE THE CONTRARY TO EVERYTHING I'M STATING. SO BY ALL MEANS PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG IT'S TAKING ME TO BURN THE AMOUNT OF CALORIES I STATED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT BUT NO THANKS. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I am not patronizing you at all. I am just curious. I hear you are a bigger girl. I hear you are working your butt off. I just asked a couple simple questions for clarification. None of which were malicious by any means or meant to be and none of which have been answered BTW.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. SOMEONE CAN BURN 500-600 CALORIES IN 1 CYCLING CLASS (AT LEAST THE ONES I GO TO). I DON'T THINK IT'S TOO FAR FETCHED FOR ME BECAUSE I'M DRIPPING SWEAT BY THE TIME I LEAVE THE GYM. I MEAN ENTIRE OUTFIT SOAKED AS IF SOMEONE POURED A BUCKET OF WATER ON ME AND I HAVE A HEART RATE MONITOR. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS I GUESS :-/
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but you may be working out too much. I've read some things that say if you do too much anaerobic cardio, it can actually impede your weight loss. I may have read a previous comment wrong, but it looked like you were taking three intense cardio classes each. Maybe try scaling that back and having a low-cal high protein snack right after your workout might give you better results.

I take boxing classes which combine cardio and strength into the hour and I noticed that one week when I was eating less and taking class everyday I stopped losing so I took four days off and then dropped 2.5 pounds in those rest days.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    They were probably just wanting to try to help you double check because it seems very high. There is no concrete information on your profile to help eliminate that concern. Here's an example of a secondary site. http://www.prohealth.com/weightloss/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm

These are often as accurate as my heart rate monitor.

However, keep in mind that with exercise equipment and heart rate monitors, you are getting gross calories burned, not net. In other words, they do not subtract the calories you burn just living. To convert gross to net:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx

(Actually, MFP is said to estimate high on food and low on exercise. I typically will not eat back more than 250 calories for any workout unless I need to refuel for more exercise that day, like a very active weekend where I'm in Weekend Warrior mode.)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to do the following:

Lay off the cardio. You don't need to be doing that much. Get into a heavy lifting program because that will help you preserve your lean body mass. Doing a ton of cardio will cause you to lose that.

Eat more. If you insist on burning 1200-1400 calories every day at the gym, you should be eating back all of the calories. If you don't think you could stomach to eat that much on top of your daily allowance, then don't burn that much at the gym. MFP figures a deficit into your allowance, and too much of a deficit (which is what you are making when you don't eat back exercise calories) can hinder your progress over time. Don't worry about eating late, your body doesn't go into shut down mode once it turns 8pm.
  • nicetymello
    Options
    i thought about that too to be honest. my typical workout consist of 30 mins treadmill walking on a high incline at a moderate speed, eliptical for 25 mins, and stair machine for 25 mins. not too intense but I work my *kitten* off. however I do think I am eating too little. I have heard before that too much cardio is not good and no more than an hour is needed. I'm going to switch it up though and try some other things as well. I used to do boxing too and LOVED it. it was actually the best workout I've EVER had. I noticed a difference in my waist within a month. The hourglass was forming. I had to stop though because the trainer was a perv, LOL. Thanks for all your feedback :-)
  • nicetymello
    Options
    thank you! I will try that this week!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For reference, a 265 pound woman doing aerobics for 60 minutes tends to burn off 721-843 calories (gross).

Cardio is great for burning fat. You might want to mix things up and do some high interval intensity training rather than straight running or eliptical, though. It's better at long term fat burning.
  • Lovely_at_any_size
    Lovely_at_any_size Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What workouts are you doing to burn that many calories.